GPS Draining Starting Battery Question?
Ball Cap
Posted 6/14/2010 5:08 PM (#445486)
Subject: GPS Draining Starting Battery Question?

Hi:

I've been running a new Lowrance HDS7 since the end of last year. I have noticed this thing drains my starting battery.

I had someone test the battery and they told me it's fine.

My question is do these new GPS units use alot more juice than just an old depth finder?

When I charge the battery at home and then use it for a few days, it's fine.

But after a few days, it "reboots" when I turn the big motor on, so I know the battery is running low and the unit flashes off when the big motor draws on the battery to start.

Is my battery bad? Do I need to get a better beefed up battery?

How do I know if my alternator is working on the big motor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
VMS
Posted 6/14/2010 5:19 PM (#445488 - in reply to #445486)
Subject: Re: GPS Draining Starting Battery Question?

Hiya,

I had the same issue with my GPS when I would be on the water for a few days. The amount of time I spent running the big motor as compared to the GPS being on all day was not enough to keep the battery at fully charged

What I did was replace the starting battery with a dual purpose battery (I went with a stowaway) which can be used as a deep cycle and starting battery. Solved my problem and it has not been an issue since. I still need to make sure I charge the battery, but I no longer have the issue you are experiencing currently.

Steve
Ifishskis
Posted 6/14/2010 7:22 PM (#445523 - in reply to #445486)

A common mistake is to assume that your motor is aggressively charging the starting battery. In fact, all most motors do is maintain the charge level where it started. One should really buy a multiple bank charger that will also charge the starting battery.

Do you agree VMS?
VMS
Posted 6/14/2010 7:34 PM (#445524 - in reply to #445486)

I would agree!!
Ifishskis
Posted 6/14/2010 7:43 PM (#445527 - in reply to #445524)

VMS - 6/14/2010 7:34 PM

I would agree!!

There's a guy selling a 3 bank charger on the "Buy/Sell" page. If I had a 2 bank charger to charge my TM batteries, and have lots of electronics running off of my starting battery, I'd seriously consider this 3 bank charger. You can always sell your 2 bank charger.
Ball Cap
Posted 6/14/2010 7:59 PM (#445535 - in reply to #445486)
Subject: RE: GPS Draining Starting Battery Question?

How does the 3 bank charger work?

I have a 2 bank charging my 2 trolling motor batteries upfront.

How does it connect to the starting battery way in the back of the boat?
Ifishskis
Posted 6/14/2010 8:08 PM (#445540 - in reply to #445535)

Ball Cap - 6/14/2010 7:59 PM

How does the 3 bank charger work?

I have a 2 bank charging my 2 trolling motor batteries upfront.

How does it connect to the starting battery way in the back of the boat?

Most company's offer extension leads for their chargers. Check with the manufacturer, but most charger OEM's don't recommend using regular cable or other types of wires. Most say that using non-OEM supplied extensions will not allow the chargers monitoring system to work right, or the charger will not charge properly.

OR

If you have room for your starting battery up front, simply run heavy gage (4 gage?) wires back to your motor and a seperate +/- cable for your electronics. Easier and cheaper to get the charger extensions is my bet.
VMS
Posted 6/14/2010 8:10 PM (#445541 - in reply to #445486)

That is what a 3-bank charger would be good for. What you can do, which is not what would be considered the best method of charging, and dependent on having the same batteries up front as in back (like a stowaway) is to hook one of the front batteries with the back battery in parallel, and then hook one of the banks up to the two in parallel, and the other to the third battery.

I have done this before and it works fine, but a 3rd bank would be much better..

Steve
MuskieMike
Posted 6/14/2010 11:06 PM (#445569 - in reply to #445486)

Would running two cranking batteries in parralell be a good solution for this problem? My stereo drains my cranking battery fast as well. The battery is 9 years old now and should be replaced, I'm debating on a yellow top optima, or two cheaper cranking batteries? Any ideas on which would work better??

Edited by MuskieMike 6/14/2010 11:07 PM
Lundbob
Posted 6/15/2010 7:33 AM (#445591 - in reply to #445486)

Do you have your unit wired with an external on/off switch...when you turn your unit off the GPS puck stays active unless you have an external switch. It will drain your battery. I have my LCX-27 connected to it's own battery and charge it twice maybe three times a year and i fish 2-3 days a week. The unit uses very little power but if you don't have an external switch wired it will drain your battery. You can prove the battery drain...when you turn your unit on does your GPS aquire your location right away? If it does then you know the puck is staying active even though you turned the unit off. It should take at least 30 seconds or more.
Ball Cap
Posted 6/15/2010 9:07 AM (#445611 - in reply to #445486)

Lund Bob:

I think that may be the problem. I do not have a switch and have gotten the same response as yours on another message board.

I have an extra switch or two on my dash board by the lights, bilge, etc.

I just have to get under the dash and wire the GPS to the correct spot on the fuse box.

Midge
Ball Cap
Posted 6/15/2010 9:09 AM (#445612 - in reply to #445486)

Lund Bob:

I think that may be the problem. I do not have a switch and have gotten the same response as yours on another message board.

I have an extra switch or two on my dash board by the lights, bilge, etc.

I just have to get under the dash and wire the GPS to the correct spot on the fuse box.

Midge