HDS 5 Issue
dward
Posted 6/9/2010 7:47 AM (#444610)
Subject: HDS 5 Issue

I just received my new boat last week and bought a Navionics card. When i was visiting both Cabella's and Fleet Farm i saw that many of the larger lakes were marked with a "I" that was circled. I hit enter and saw some information that i would typically find from a fishing hotspots map. I also saw black dots which allowed me to see vegatation in that area when i hovered over it or clicked on it.

when i got home i played with mine, both with and without the navionics disk and i can't get the fishing hot spots info to appear? is this a setting that needs to be on? I would appreciate any help in being able to see these fishing tips.

Also- with the navionics card i can see the 1 ft shaded contours and photos of boat ramps, but how do i get other features to work? sattelite imagery, terrain view, etc.

Thanks
TJ DeVoe
Posted 6/9/2010 8:43 AM (#444620 - in reply to #444610)
Subject: Re: HDS 5 Issue

Is your HDS 5 an Insight model or a Basemap model? If it's a Basemap model, it didn't come with the Fishing Hot Spots preloaded.

To check, simply hit menu twice, go under chart, then chart date, there will be a drop down arrow, hit that, and it should have a Fishing Hot Spots option or it will be Lowrance. I have the Basemap units so I don't know what exactly it will be.
Posted 6/9/2010 9:18 AM (#444628 - in reply to #444610)
Subject: RE: HDS 5 Issue

i will have to check when i get home.... didn't realize there was a difference. However, I assumed that by purchasing the Navionics Fishing Hot Spots Platinum chip i would now have these spots marked?

If i don't have it, is this something that i can add to the basemap model? how much would it be.........again just spent $199 on Navionics so thought it should be there (and maybe it is and i just need to change a setting?)

Muskiemetal
Posted 6/9/2010 9:35 AM (#444631 - in reply to #444610)

There is a difference from the HotMAPS and the Hot SPOTS maps. That Navionics chip might not have that information on it. Honestly, that information is weak at best, most of the spots it marks are understood anyway (they label every point and hump) and I wouldn't rely on that info for fishing. (It says Muskies all over Pewaukee). The HD lakes that the platinum chip has would be very helpful, along with more lakes on that chip than the others and some of the imagery.
dward
Posted 6/10/2010 7:30 AM (#444765 - in reply to #444631)

I guess i have the basemap model....thanks for the info TJ.

Also- you are probably correct muskiemetal, i probably don't really need thed marked info w/ the detail of the navionics charts.
Schuler
Posted 6/10/2010 4:45 PM (#444850 - in reply to #444610)

It would be under Lowrance in chart selection to show the insight info. (FHS) There are some maps in which the hotspots is much better than navionics IMO, but the selection is not as great.