Outboard Belt Noise??
Lone Stone
Posted 6/8/2010 8:09 PM (#444553)
Subject: Outboard Belt Noise??

I've got a 1996 Mercury 125 2 stroke. After running about 10 miles down the river today I heard a squeal. It sounded like a fan belt on a car. I did everything I could to see where it was coming from. It did this in both gears and in neutral. Seemed to get louder with higher rpm's. I had the cover off, and tried turning both ways and holding the motor to see if it was a rubber mount just squeaking, but could find nothing. I messed with it for about 15 minutes, on and off plane then it just stopped doing it. ANY ideas????
jakejusa
Posted 6/9/2010 8:32 AM (#444618 - in reply to #444553)
Subject: RE: Outboard Belt Noise??

"Sorry" have to ask, when the squealing stopped was your passenger back in the boat?
VMS
Posted 6/9/2010 9:21 AM (#444629 - in reply to #444553)

Hiya,

To be honest, that sounds like a bearing going bad. I'm not sure on this but I believe there is a bearing at the bottom of the engine where the main drive shaft goes down to the lower unit.

Not sure what the time or the cost is for fixing, but my instinct says that is what your issue might be.

Steve
jakejusa
Posted 6/9/2010 4:58 PM (#444706 - in reply to #444553)

Seriously now....if it's a bearing, which is possible that will be somewhat major. I had one go on the main shaft. They replaced the entire powerhead. Thankfully it was a warranty and they had me back running in 3 days. you might want to have it checked as the bearing will not be as expensive as if it blows up.
Lone Stone
Posted 6/9/2010 9:56 PM (#444739 - in reply to #444553)
Subject: Re: Outboard Belt Noise??

Jake, actually the passenger was still down there trying to get the anchor placed just right in 40 feet of water. Must be still working on it?? Steve, do you know if that bearing would still be spinning when in neutral? I'm not going to rule out a bearing, but not sure exactly how these things are built. I didn't think a bearing would just stop like that either? They sure don't when then go out on a trailer! I'm going to order a service manual and decide if I'm going to tackle it or not. I'm not afraid to take anything apart, it's the putting it back together sometimes that gets me in trouble. Luckily I know a guy though. But I'll take it to the shop if I need to, I'd rather pay for some labor and a bearing than a new motor! Any other ideas, let me know, I'm open for suggestion.

Thanks,
Shawn
VMS
Posted 6/10/2010 8:11 AM (#444768 - in reply to #444553)

Hiya,

I believe that the shaft is always spinning, which is why you would hear it at all times. When you shift into gear, the shifting occurs with a different shaft that goes down to the lower unit which engages the gears there.

The bearing will act quite similarly to when you get the squeal on a car that comes from the belt. When you get that squeal in your car, it is from a bearing in one of the tensioners, air conditioning pump, alternator, etc. that is going bad. It never stops spinning until it locks up, but the squeal is the sign of a bearing that is going bad and it should be replaced. You might be able to get away with it for a while, but at some point in time, it's gonna freeze and then you have a much bigger problem to deal with...

Steve
Lone Stone
Posted 6/10/2010 5:24 PM (#444861 - in reply to #444553)

Thanks Steve. I talked to the dealer today and it will probably be in there pretty soon. But the sound is not that of a bearing like on a car for one of the things mentioned. I've had squeaky belts that needed belt dressing added a few times to make them stop, that is exactly the sound I'm getting. But I am afraid you are right with it probably being a bearing. A few bucks now is better than a lot of bucks later. Thanks again.
Shawn

Edited by Lone Stone 6/10/2010 5:25 PM
Ifishskis
Posted 6/10/2010 5:27 PM (#444862 - in reply to #444553)

Does anybody know if this motor has an alternator, and a belt that drives the alternator? I think the bigger Merc's do. My 225 EFI had one.
Lone Stone
Posted 6/10/2010 7:27 PM (#444881 - in reply to #444553)

Actually the service person I spoke with on the phone today said there was a belt. She said there should be a plastic cover on the top and it is under there. Well, the only plastic on the top is over the flywheel. The other cover on the side of the engine looks to be full of wires, but I'm going to pop it off this weekend and make sure. I'm also stopping there with it on the way home from work tomorrow. Thing is, it don't make the sound now. It only did it when I ran 10 miles, but like I said, the engine noise didn't allow me to actually hear it untill I slowed down. I'll let you know what we come up with.
Ifishskis
Posted 6/11/2010 5:13 PM (#445080 - in reply to #444881)

Lone Stone - 6/10/2010 7:27 PM

Actually the service person I spoke with on the phone today said there was a belt. She said there should be a plastic cover on the top and it is under there. Well, the only plastic on the top is over the flywheel. The other cover on the side of the engine looks to be full of wires, but I'm going to pop it off this weekend and make sure. I'm also stopping there with it on the way home from work tomorrow. Thing is, it don't make the sound now. It only did it when I ran 10 miles, but like I said, the engine noise didn't allow me to actually hear it untill I slowed down. I'll let you know what we come up with.

It's underneath the cover and it's not that big.
Lone Stone
Posted 6/11/2010 7:28 PM (#445102 - in reply to #444553)

I confirmed with a merc technician of 35 years there is no belt on this motor. He gave me a couple ideas to check before I worry too much about it. Thanks for the tip, Ifishskis!

Lone Stone
Posted 6/11/2010 7:48 PM (#445104 - in reply to #444553)

Edited by Lone Stone 6/11/2010 7:49 PM