Fishing Partner + Matching Baits = Necessary?
PSYS
Posted 3/25/2010 7:25 PM (#431037)
Subject: Fishing Partner + Matching Baits = Necessary?

Did anyone happen to catch the episode of The Musky Hunter a couple of weekends ago?  It was the episode that aired on March 6th.  I finally got around to watching this.

It was an episode that had a lot of talk about fishing with a partner.  One thing that I found interesting is that Jim Saric mentioned that when fishing with a partner, you and your partner should be throwing baits that "compliment" one another.  i.e., he was using a Shallow Invader and his fishing partner was utilizing a similar-style shallow running crankbait / jerkbait.  He even went so far as to say that when you change up your lure, you need to be sure your partner is doing the same and/or change to a lure that continues to match the bait he is continuing to use.

I've not fished seriously with another musky fisherman for any considerable length of time, but I would be under the impression that the exact opposite would be true.  I would think that you would want to be throwing a bait that is UNlike one that your partner is throwing to see what might (or might not be) working at the time. 

Thoughts?  Do you "match" baits with your fishing partner?  If you're throwing a topwater bait, is he/she also throwing a topwater bait?  If you're throwing a bucktail, is he/she also throwing a bucktail?  Or are you both throwing polar opposite-style baits?  ...I'm curious.

Posted 3/25/2010 7:48 PM (#431045 - in reply to #431037)
Subject: RE: Fishing Partner + Matching Baits = Necessary?

I didn't see the show, so I'm not really able to respond to whatever Jim actually said---but can respond to what you're saying.

Seems like both can be true, depending on what is meant. I try to 'match' my partners lure as far as throwing something that is retrieved at about the same speed. (Otherwise one of us is always waiting on the other---or the boat is moving too fast/slow for one of the lures.)

It also depends on whether we're still searching for a pattern, or fishing one that we've settled on. If we're searching, we'll usually be throwing something different. I may have on a bucktail; he may have a crankbait. But when we get some hits, we'll both throw a similar type of lure from then on--perhaps "complimenting' one another, in that sense.
raftman
Posted 3/25/2010 7:59 PM (#431046 - in reply to #431045)

Guest - 3/25/2010 7:48 PM
I try to 'match' my partners lure as far as throwing something that is retrieved at about the same speed. (Otherwise one of us is always waiting on the other---or the boat is moving too fast/slow for one of the lures.)

I caught that episode and I think Guest nailed what they were trying to say.
shaley
Posted 3/25/2010 8:04 PM (#431048 - in reply to #431046)

We drift fish alot and sometimes one runs a cowgirl the other maybe a dawg or jerkbait, sometimes both catch fish. Theres also time 3 of us are throwing the same identical baits.
teddy b
Posted 3/25/2010 8:51 PM (#431058 - in reply to #431037)
Subject: Re: Fishing Partner + Matching Baits = Necessary?

For once the guest got it right! No offense to this particular guest. The episode definetely was more about lure retrieve speeds working together and not necessarily matching the lures.
PSYS
Posted 3/26/2010 6:28 AM (#431096 - in reply to #431037)

Interesting.

I must have misinterpreted what was said on the show...
thanks for the replies, you guys!
MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/26/2010 7:40 AM (#431109 - in reply to #431037)

I'm not sure on matching baits, but don't most musky fishermen partners try to make sure their outfits, if not matching, are at least color coordinated and tasteful? No need to lose a fish approaching the boat because it's offended by your fashion sense.

Kevin
Flambeauski
Posted 3/26/2010 7:57 AM (#431115 - in reply to #431037)

Agreed. And the beverages consumed should compliment each other as well, so if your partner is drinking bloody marys you should drink the miller lite chaser. If your partner eats an orange, you should drink a blue moon, if your partner wards off scurvy with a lemon you should ward off sobriety with a corona.
Seriously though, we position the boat so the one guy fishes shallow with topwater or bucktail and the other a little deeper with jerkbaits or rubber.

Edited by Flambeauski 3/26/2010 8:01 AM
jackson
Posted 3/26/2010 8:26 AM (#431118 - in reply to #431037)

I caught the show. To be honest, when talking to a guide a few years ago he said the opposite. That we wanted to be throwing 2 diff baits to see what the fish would react too. I don't know.. i suppose both are right. The times i fished with a partner (tournments) we always fished something different. We caught fish. I am not sure it really matters at least in my experience. Color did seem to matter however. For some reason fishing black lures in this one tourney turned fish on. I was fishing a bright yellow bucktail and he had black. Casted for hours, he caught a fish, i didn't even see a fish. i switched to a black suick and within a dozen casts i landed one.
MuskyManiac09
Posted 3/26/2010 10:50 AM (#431142 - in reply to #431037)

Yeah, I think he was talking more about relative retrive speeds as well. Example, when you're fishing fast looking for aggressive fish one partner could be throwing a bucktail and the other a prop topwater--both of these lures can cover a lot of water fast. If your looking at less aggressive fish or post-frontal fish, then one could be working a minnowbait slowly while the other partner throws some large plastic.
PSYS
Posted 3/26/2010 12:02 PM (#431158 - in reply to #431142)

MuskyManiac09 - 3/26/2010 10:50 AM Yeah, I think he was talking more about relative retrive speeds as well. Example, when you're fishing fast looking for aggressive fish one partner could be throwing a bucktail and the other a prop topwater--both of these lures can cover a lot of water fast. If your looking at less aggressive fish or post-frontal fish, then one could be working a minnowbait slowly while the other partner throws some large plastic.

Got'cha... this makes sense.  lure presentation vs. actual lure-type...

thanks again for the replies, you guys.