Electronics question?
anzomcik
Posted 3/20/2010 8:55 PM (#430101)
Subject: Electronics question?

I have upgraded my electronics bow and console. I have heard people say you should put a switch to kill any power to the units when they are shut down. The reasons they tell me that is that over time the voltage just "sitting" there could cause problems with the units.

To put a switch inline on the power wire would not be hard, my question is it necessary? And does anyone else do it? Thanks
PMV
Posted 3/20/2010 10:17 PM (#430113 - in reply to #430101)
Subject: RE: Electronics question?

I have two lcx's that are networked on my boat. When I installed them, lowrance recomended and showed switch's for each unit and the network on their wiring diagrams. I like following manufacturers instructions, so I installed them. I think there are multiple reasons for them. One is, depending what you have on the network, it will be drawing power all the time without the switch-may be minimal, but still a draw on the batteries. The other is the greater potential for corrosion on wires with voltage on them all the time- I think it is called electrolysis. I think it also makes for a neater intallation job, easier to trouble shoot if there are problems in the future.

I went to the local bumper to bumper auto store and got 3 rocker switch's that are lit when on. Handy to see at night and easy to tell when they are left on. They have different colors available and some plastic trim pieces that the switch's snap into for mounting. I put them under the dash in a easy spot to see and reach.

pmv
anzomcik
Posted 3/21/2010 10:56 AM (#430163 - in reply to #430101)
Subject: Re: Electronics question?

Do you lose any of your settings (you then need to reset when you turn on again) when you kill the power to the units?
PMV
Posted 3/21/2010 11:57 AM (#430168 - in reply to #430163)
Subject: Re: Electronics question?

No loss of memory or settings, just comes on with everything the same as you left it. I'd look at your manual that comes with the electronics and follow what they say. Pretty good chance they have their reasons for what they are saying. Some boats have a main power switch by the battery that shuts everything off, this would work too. I just think it is a nicer job to have the individual switch's. I can send you some pictures of my install if you are looking for ideas.

PMV