Best Boat For Me??
Mi-Musky
Posted 3/20/2010 7:13 AM (#429990)
Subject: Best Boat For Me??

I'm currently in the process of buying my first fishing boat and I'm having a tough time making any real decisions. I plan to use it mostly for Muskie and Walleye fishing in Michigan/Wis/Minn and Canada. If I buy new, I'm probably limited to under 17 feet. I do plan on trolling mostly, but will have someone with me at most times. I was looking very hard at the Alumacraft Classic 165 CS and the "Camp" version, (Although I don't know the price difference). I plan to run inline planer boards, as well as possibly downriggers eventually. What I want to know is A) With the above information do I want a tiller or a CS, and B) Will either of these boats/models handle water in Lake Huron..Saginaw Bay, or will I be limited to inland lake fishing only? Sorry for the lengthy post, but do need some advice.

Thanks
Hunterjoe
Posted 3/20/2010 9:08 AM (#430001 - in reply to #429990)
Subject: RE: Best Boat For Me??

I've fished out of a 15 1/2' boat on lake Huron before salmon fishing. I don't recommend it, but you can on the nicer days. I'd look at one of the navigators for what you want. A little wider boat with thicker hull. You can also get higher HP on it (90 vs 75) which may help if you have to get off the water in a hurry or help you have a little more "punch" if your running in bigger waves. All of what you want to do can be done with the classic, but I think you'd be happier and safer in the bigger boat.
VMS
Posted 3/20/2010 9:10 AM (#430002 - in reply to #429990)
Subject: Re: Best Boat For Me??

Good Morning!!

If you can, I would suggest going with a used rig. You will definitely get more bang for your buck and with the lakes you are looking to fish, the extra size will be nice to have. The classic 165 is a little smaller than my navigator 165 and I've been on Chequamegon Bay Lake superior in some farily large waves and I wasn't nervous of the boat having issues...but it was a bit much for trying to fish out of and control.

for the same price as new, you can probably get into a a nice 18 foot rig with a bit more power. Being you are looking to do a bit of walleye fishing, a tiller would be nice for backtrolling if that is how you fish. I have a console version for muskies and there are times I wish I had tiller, just for the room.

I think the best thing you can do is make a list of the items you like/dislike and then start climbing through to see what you find. I know when I purchased my navigator, I spent a few hours just going through things like ease of mounting electronics, storage, rod locker length, deck space, room for a kicker, etc. Lots of variables to check into...

the search is half the fun, and so long as you are enjoying the search, it's a good thing. If there is limited funding, used will get you more, although keeping just a touch of money set aside to have a mechanic go over the motor would be a good thing too...

Enjoy!!

Steve
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2010 9:23 AM (#430005 - in reply to #429990)

On calmer days you would be ok on the big water, most everywhere else the boat you are talking about would be ok. The navigator series is a nice boat and they had great deals on them last year. Look at non-currents. I priced a 175 last year for 21k with a 115 yammy, everything minus a tarp and that included two lowarance hds units and a terrova.

Look at used as well. You can get a great deal, alot of people selling in the must sell category. People are selling their boats to keep their house. Some insane deals to be had.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/20/2010 10:41 AM (#430018 - in reply to #429990)

If you are planning on running big water with riggers and boards you need room to move around in the boat for you and your passengers. A 16 foot boat doesn't give you that room. You will be crawling over each other trying to get at riggers/net/board rods and trying to keep your balance in the waves on typical days. A 16 footer is great on calm days, I had one for 11 seasons so I should know. But on bigger water you don't get that many calm days and then you have to really have it down to a science to fish effectively from a smaller boat.

I'd look around with an open mind, knowing you aren't going to have a top of the line rig for the money you have to spend, but you might be able to find a great deal on a used boat that will fish comfortably and give you much more than you could get from a new 16 footer. On the great lakes, I'd opt for an 18 footer with a smaller front deck and a big cockpit area. Alumacraft Competitors were super in that regards. It was like having a dance hall in the back, and that's what you need for running riggers and other specialized equipment.

The last thing you want for trolling is a big front deck which is pretty much just wasted space. Now if you were into more casting, then it is great to have the room in front. I got rid of my Alumacraft when I gave up trout/salmon fishing a few years ago. I went to a boat with the big front deck because I was doing more casting on smaller waters. It's still OK for trolling but the Alumacraft was so much better in the bigger waves and for spreading out your rod holders. You have to be sure whether you are going to target big waters or just visit them ocassionally, as that has the biggest bearing on what type boat you will be most happy with.