Crestliner Vs Alumacraft
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/17/2010 12:04 PM (#429400)
Subject: Crestliner Vs Alumacraft

Hey guys, for those who run the below listed boats what are the pros and cons between the two? I have done a search on the Alumacraft with good results but would like to hear more about the Crestliner. Thanks

1700 Fish Hawk (Crestliner)

Navigator 175 (Alumacraft)
twells
Posted 3/17/2010 12:22 PM (#429405 - in reply to #429400)
Subject: RE: Crestliner Vs Alumacraft

I can't speak for the Alumacraft but the Fish Hawk is a great boat. I ran one for the past 6 season. If I didn't get the Tuffy this year it would have been another Crestliner. Their customer service is great. It is roomy to fish 2 people very easy. we have fished 3 people out of it and not had any problem. The ride is smooth in them and for being a aluminmum boat you don't get the slapping of some smaller boats in the Aluminum class. I have had it on big water also with mine and you just the weather a little more and don't over push your comfort level or boat capabilities. The only thing I wish they would offer is a rear deck extension. Not really need but a nice adder. There is a few pictures on this site that people have put up examples of the extensions they made. It is also a nice family boat if that comes into the equation anywhere. You can pull skiers or tubers if that is also needed. Good luck with your choice.
Musky53
Posted 3/17/2010 12:43 PM (#429415 - in reply to #429400)
Subject: Re: Crestliner Vs Alumacraft

I have had an Alumacraft Navigator 165 Tiller for 6 years and just sold it to buy an Alumacraft Tournament Pro 185 tiller. I like tillers since I troll a lot. I cannot speak for the Crestliners since I have never been in one myself. It looks like a nice boat of course. But, I love the Alumacraft. The beams are very wide on all their models. They have a ton of storage as well as a real nice and high casting decks. The one thing I noticed on other boats like Lunds is that the casting decks are not very high. I love that about the Alumacraft. Again not that other makes are inferior by any means. I just prefer the way Alumacraft does their decks. I can also store 8ft rods no problem. The Tournament pro actually has 13 dedicated rod storage tubes. Front trolling motor batteries are nicely stored in the floor and out of the way. My only complaint is that the tillers are pretty under powered. I was only able to get a 90hp motor on an 18ft boat. If you are going console than that is not an issue. I hope this helps.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/17/2010 12:50 PM (#429421 - in reply to #429415)

Thanks Twells. Musky53, boat would be a console for sure. Like you said the Alumacraft is one wide boat. It seems like the front casting deck is bigger on the Crestliner though which I like.
curleytail
Posted 3/17/2010 12:59 PM (#429425 - in reply to #429400)

I think both are great boats. Saying that - I prefer the Alumacraft. I have an older Navigator 165 Tiller. My Uncle has the newer 165 in the console version. I like the storage of the Navigators. They really don't have ANY wasted space. I think one of the "side tanks" on the crestliners is still pretty much nothing but flotation, where the Navigators have rod lockers on either side. I use one side for rods and the other for extra storage. Can actually fit a lot of stuff in there.

The maiden voyage of my Uncle's 165 was in VERY rough water, and we were both impressed how well it handled the big waves and how solid it felt, not to mention dry.

I'm sure the Crestliner is very nice, probably has plenty of storage, and handles good sized water well too. I wouln't make a decision before you compare each boat in person. I think Crestliner is nice but I do really like Alumacrafts.

curleytail
jonnysled
Posted 3/17/2010 1:23 PM (#429433 - in reply to #429400)

i've spent a lot of time in the crestliner and think they did an outstanding job laying that boat out for fishing muskies. the one i have fished out of is the 18' variety. again ... awesome layout. the only argument would be against the height of the rear deck (i'd prefer it were higher) and then just the quality of the hinges, handles etc... some bowing and flexing that you might not find in a comparable lund or alumacraft.

both boats are nice rigs though and it would be hard to say you would be making a mistake with either. make sure you are happy with what you have powering it and you'll be happy.

Edited by jonnysled 3/17/2010 1:26 PM
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/17/2010 1:33 PM (#429436 - in reply to #429433)

"make sure you are happy with what you have powering it and you'll be happy." I agree with this. Both are nice looking. Next few days should be fun. Thanks again guys for some insight.
esoxsmd
Posted 3/17/2010 2:23 PM (#429442 - in reply to #429400)

I had a 1750 Fishhawk for a year and a half. Great boat to fish 1 to 3 people out of. I had a 115 on it, which seemed to perform well with the boat - 44 mph top speed.
I only had it for a year and half before my fishing styles changed and I got a 1850 Sportfish instead.
2labradors
Posted 3/17/2010 3:32 PM (#429451 - in reply to #429400)

I have a 2007 1700 Fishawk, excellent boat to fish out of. I like the large front casting deck, the back deck could be larger I plan to build an extension eventually. It has a 90 4 stroke Mercury on it top speed is about 45mph. You can pm me if you have any questions. Chris
twells
Posted 3/17/2010 3:36 PM (#429452 - in reply to #429400)

Johnnysled, That is the same thing I had with my crestliner is the flexing in the front deck. I talekd with Crestliner directly and took it out there over the winter and they added reinforcement at no cost other than getting out to them. On the way there I blew a bearing on the trailer and they had a guy in town that fixed it for me at a very reasonable price when I could have been over the coals with limited choices. That was the customer service side that I liked.

Both are good boats. In the long run it is what you are happy with and your needs. I had a 125 mercury on mine and got 48 mph top end. My brotherinlaw has the same boat with a 90 Johnson 4 stroke and gets 38 mph with it but goes through about 1/4-13 the gas that I did with mine. Have fun shopping.
surf n turf
Posted 3/17/2010 7:35 PM (#429514 - in reply to #429400)

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I own a Nav 175 and have a friend with a 1750 Fishhawk and it's basically fishing the same boat. I gave the slight edge to the Alumacraft when I was shopping. Longer rod lockers, slightly wider beam, getting to choose whatever power you want, reputable dealer close by, ride quality(heavier).
4reukmuskies
Posted 3/17/2010 8:06 PM (#429521 - in reply to #429400)

Both are great boats like everyone here has said. I have the 1850 fishhawk with a 140 suzuki 4 stroke and really like the layout. Extremely wide and great casting decks front and rear. I know two people that have the early 2000s alumacraft navigators, before they were redone. Excellent fishing machines, but in my opinion a crestliner would be a better bet there. However, the newer style navigators are an upgrade from the older versions and are quite nice. Go with what fits you and your family best and make sure it has enough motor on the back of it. You do not want to be underpowered.

Have fun!

deer hntr
Posted 3/17/2010 8:07 PM (#429522 - in reply to #429514)

i use and fish out of my dads alumacraft nav 165 and love it. would like a bigger boat like a 17 or 18 foot but it is a really good boat. tons of storage. plus it has a 2xb hull system. i think they are pretty much the same boat as i've fished out of other crestliners and they were just as nice. never had a problem with the boat and its going on 10 years old.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 3/17/2010 8:59 PM (#429545 - in reply to #429522)

Thanks guys the boat is for my dad. Im just trying to help him out. Lota good info here.
PMV
Posted 3/17/2010 9:37 PM (#429562 - in reply to #429522)

I have the crestliner cmv, which is a little shallower than the fishhawk and is pretty much all deck front to back, except for a 2'-3' section in the middle for the console and riding seats. The decks are probably about 6 inches down from the top rail and I do find myself watching my daughter closely if she is on the decks, but I am watching her pretty close in a boat anyway. I think for family use, a deeper boat would be better, but for the inland puddles I fish, I prefer being up higher in the boat and closer to the water, than in a higher sided, deeper boat. One note, I don't think they make this model anymore.

I have noticed a small amount of the flexing on the front deck. It is minimal, I'm about 180lbs. I had only one experience with customer service. The plastic trim piece around the gas cap cracked, and they sent one out right away.

I agree with what most have said regarding the motor; don't underpower, you'll regret it. I have a 150 4 stroke, its a 18' boat, and max hp.

I haven't fished in a alumacraft, so I can't comment on any differences. Pay attention to some of the little stuff, like hinges, latch's, etc. for quality. This is the stuff that doesn't hold up over time and is annoying to fix. You should be able to compare hull thickness' from their brochures. I think crestliner makes a good product for their price range in that market.

PMV

Grass
Posted 3/18/2010 3:27 PM (#429696 - in reply to #429400)

When I did my boat shopping a couple of yrs ago I narrowed it down to the same two boats. Both the Nav and the Fishhawk have a great layout. Really nice for musky fishing or any other type of casting. Both sit low in the water. I ended up buying a Fishhawk because there are a lot more used Fishhawks on the market than Navigators. Either boat would be an excellent choice.
hunterjoe
Posted 3/18/2010 4:32 PM (#429718 - in reply to #429696)

Grass - 3/18/2010 3:27 PM

I ended up buying a Fishhawk because there are a lot more used Fishhawks on the market than Navigators.

Not trying to sway you in either direction, but here's something to think about. You see a lot of used Crestliners for sale and not many Alumacrafts. This wouldn't be a big deal, but I see a lot of Alumacrafts on the water where I fish. Makes me think the people who buy them don't want to get rid of them. I'm not trying to sway you in your decision one way or the other. I'm pretty much deciding between the same boats while I'm leaning a bit more towards the Alumacraft. For one, I can put more hp on the 17' Aumacraft vs the Crestliner. To compare the similar boats, the Navigator will take up to 150 while the similar 1750 fishhawk only takes 125. Not that you need the 150, as both boats would perform great with a 115, but I do want a boat with a 150 for myself.
John at Ross's
Posted 3/18/2010 9:05 PM (#429770 - in reply to #429400)

I own a Navigator 185c and my fishing partner owns a Crestliner Fishawk Muskie Edition I have a 150 Evinruide and he has a 150 opti on his. I have driven both in tournament conditions. His is faster then mine, The Crestliner seems to slide on the corners a lot more then my boat. My boat stays in the water more then his in rough water. Otherwise the layout is close to the same. I would buy another Alumacraft no questions asked.

Edited by John at Ross's 3/18/2010 9:08 PM
Dave T.
Posted 3/22/2010 9:32 PM (#430476 - in reply to #429770)

I have a a 1750 fishhawk, and i too, was looking at the alumacrafts as well.

They are similar, but what swayed me was the difference in price. I got mine used, and it was about $4000 cheaper than a comparable alumacraft..

I love it

just my two cents

Dave
Muskie Tom
Posted 3/23/2010 10:18 PM (#430715 - in reply to #430476)

A fishing buddy has a 1650 Fishhawk, lots of room. He has no complaints and as a non boater in his boat it is very comfortable...good for fishing muskie, bass, walleye and pike.
And my boat, a Lowe 165 Fishing Machine is very comparable in layout to the Crestliner, I have no complaints about it. Just another suggestion
Tom
MuskyMidget
Posted 3/25/2010 1:22 PM (#430975 - in reply to #429400)

I did this research 9 years ago when I bought my 2001 - 1650 Fishhawk. I would've gotten the 1750 had it fit in my garage. I loved both boats, but it came down to price.

For the comparable Alumacraft, it was $3000 more than the Crestliner. So for me, there was big difference between $13K and $16K at the time.

Maybe the price gap has closed by now? But then, that $3000 difference got me the trolling motor, electronics, GPS, and alot of rods and reels !!!
Posted 3/25/2010 3:13 PM (#430996 - in reply to #429400)

I have a 175 Navigator Sport and yes the Alumacraft may be a bit more money up front, but for me the fit and finish seemed better in the Alumacraft and in looking at the used boat market you could make that difference back in resale value. Just my 2 cents.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/26/2010 9:27 AM (#431128 - in reply to #429400)

I've spent alot of time in both and the Aluma rides better in choppy water and is wider. Both great boats. I'd rate the Aluma slightly higher.
Yake Bait
Posted 3/27/2010 9:51 AM (#431326 - in reply to #429400)

I own a 2004 1750 Fishhawk (which is now sold as the 1700 model). Overall I have been very pleased with this boat. Probably the main differences is that the Fishhawk has more length to the front deck with the console set more towards the middle of the boat. The Navigator maintains more width in the forward portion of the boat (Fishhawks have a wedge shape tapering from the transom to the bow).

Only thing I wish I could change on it is ability to lay rods down on the starboard side. When fishing two guys with multiple rods, space to keep rods is an issue. Not sure if the Navigator offers any advantages to this end. I think that storage is probably a wash as the Navigator has dual side rod lockers while the new Fishhawk have center rod storage plus a side rod locker.

Can't go wrong with either choice.
Mike
Posted 4/16/2010 7:16 PM (#435637 - in reply to #429400)

I know I'm a month late on this thread but if you're still looking, check out the new 2010 1650 Fish Hawk. Just released in March. The new design opens the floor plan by removing side storage and adding a center rod locker. Beam is 85", Wt. 1060 lbs, Length 16'8'' and 90 HP max. I think the new 1750 Fishhawk (not yet released) will have the same floor plan w/95" beam. I was seriously looking at the Alum. Dominator and Navigator, which I believe are great boats. But after seeing the new Fish Hawk at the recent Northwest Sportsman show in Minneapolis, I decided to buy the Crestliner. I was a bit reluctant to power with a Mercury, since my preference was for a Suzuki or Yamaha. But the price was right...time will tell if the decision was. Expecting delivery in a few weeks.
Slow Rollin
Posted 4/16/2010 8:26 PM (#435650 - in reply to #435637)

i would have to give advantage to alumacraft, i think it has a better ride, i have been soaked more often than not in a crestliner, much drier ride in alumacraft, in most models, alumacraft has a wider beam......and probably better resale from alumacraft
Mike
Posted 4/16/2010 11:08 PM (#435678 - in reply to #435650)

Many have said the Alumacraft is a dryer ride compared to the Crestliner. What is it about the hull design that makes a difference? I know most of the Crestliner hulls have either a "modified V" 12 degree rise (on the 16' boats) and a 17 degree rise "Deep V" on the 17/18' boats. The rise is probably the same on the Alumacraft. My guess is that the 12 degree rise is not as 'Dry" as the 17 degree rise. Perhaps the larger spray rail on the Alumacraft makes a significant difference too.
harpster
Posted 1/29/2011 8:13 AM (#478451 - in reply to #429400)

Does anyone run a Lowe FM185. I'm looking for input on it's ride compared to the Navigator
VMS
Posted 1/29/2011 10:57 AM (#478471 - in reply to #435678)

Mike - 4/16/2010 11:08 PM

Many have said the Alumacraft is a dryer ride compared to the Crestliner. What is it about the hull design that makes a difference? I know most of the Crestliner hulls have either a "modified V" 12 degree rise (on the 16' boats) and a 17 degree rise "Deep V" on the 17/18' boats. The rise is probably the same on the Alumacraft. My guess is that the 12 degree rise is not as 'Dry" as the 17 degree rise. Perhaps the larger spray rail on the Alumacraft makes a significant difference too.

Hiya,

par of the reason the Alumacraft may ride a little drier is the splash rail which on the alumacraft is rounded a bit to deflect any side splash down and away from the riders. Not sure if Crestliner has that or not. In many cases this can be a determining factor for the drier ride.

I have always felt, though, that the dry riding qualities of the boat are more due to the way the operator handles the boat in rougher seas. No matter what kind of boat a person has, if the travel forces you to go sideways or diagonally through larger oncoming waves, someone is going to get wet regardless of brand, hull style, etc.

Steve
andracke
Posted 2/1/2011 10:57 AM (#479020 - in reply to #429400)

We bought traded up from our Lowe175FM to an Alumacraft Navigator 175 this past fall. It is a wonderful boat. Very wide and you can fish four guys out of the boat easily. Even three guys fishing musky is pretty easy - There is a great place to stand on the side for the middle guy.
My only small complaint with the Alumacraft is that they have a bait bag instead of a hard plastic bait container. We crappie fish so we use it for minnows.

We put a 140 Suzuki on it and it runs so smooth.

Dont know where you are located at but we got ours in Bloomington, MN at Dan's Southside Marine. After shopping around in IL, IN, WI, and MN - They had the best price!! We got a good deal.

Cant wait for open water to get back out! Good luck to you.