Liberal livebait proposal changes in Minnesota by DNR
happy hooker
Posted 3/16/2010 3:05 PM (#429231)
Subject: Liberal livebait proposal changes in Minnesota by DNR

The dnr is looking for input on the possible new proposed livebait changes that could be implemented,,these new proposals are ones that muskie anglers should take note of

first one is to allow Bullheads up to 10 inches has bait the old rule allowed a maximum of 7 inches,, you would not be allowed to transport them north of hwy 210

second one,,,White suckers 12 inches and longer can be transported for up to 96 hrs after purchase.Those possessing and transporting would be required to purchase from a commercial vendor and retain a receipt.

the DNR is looking for comments/feedback until April 1st so you livebait guys better get in there

personally Im no live bait guy but after seeing what the first generation Muskies did to the city lake bullhead populations I think I would take a 10 inch bullhead over any length sucker anytime,,Just ask Rod Ramsell what he used to find the most in metro muskies

go to the dnr website for a more detailed description I just took the juicy details

Edited by happy hooker 3/16/2010 3:08 PM
Posted 3/16/2010 9:18 PM (#429300 - in reply to #429231)
Subject: RE: Liberal livebait proposal changes in Minnesota by DNR

Here is the sucker related portion:
Subpart 5. The proposed language clarifies that suckers over 12 inches that are legally purchased maybe transported alive with a current sales receipt. Currently, the law allows aquaculture businesses to sell to vendors suckers over 12 inches to be sold as bait (Minnesota Statutes, section 17.4982, subdivision. 18). However, the transportation rules (Minnesota Statutes, section 97C. 205, and Minnesota Rules, part 6262.0100, subpart 4) for a person requires these fish to be transported dead. The reason that anglers buy these larger suckers is primarily as a bait to attract larger northern pike and muskie. As such, it is preferred that these fish be alive. Suckers are not considered an undesirable species and do not significantly alter water chemistry and fish communities when present. This language is needed and reasonable to allow the live transport of these legally purchased fish.
CONCLUSION
Based on the foregoing, the proposed rules are both needed and reasonable.

Finally some common sense is being applied to the current rediculous situation. I also like how they state that they are simply clarifiying the language. Makes it sound like transporting suckers over 12" alive as bait has really been legal all along.
Posted 3/16/2010 10:51 PM (#429317 - in reply to #429231)

Seems like a great change to me. Also, the bullhead change is something catfishermen are asking for.
happy hooker
Posted 3/17/2010 11:09 AM (#429377 - in reply to #429317)

this isnt a done deal though,,If your a livebait person make sure you go to the dnr site and give your feedback in support
RobKimm_unlogged
Posted 3/19/2010 10:14 AM (#429849 - in reply to #429377)

One point of clarification...

What the DNR sent out is a "Notice to Adopt" rather than a request for public comment. There's an important difference.

Basically a request for public comment is just that - "we're thinking about this and want to know what people think."

A notice to adopt is more like "unless enough people have real problems with this, we're going to do it..."

So unless 25 people specifically request a public hearing on it, this rule will be adopted.

The restriction on transporting suckers over 12" never had a thing to do with the DNR not wanting people to use them for bait. It was an unintended consequence of very valid rules regulating commercial harvesting of sucker eggs, which is something the DNR regulates very closely. This new rule basically defines more tightly where that rule applies and where it doesn't (in this case, not to anglers using suckers for bait.)
Posted 4/2/2010 3:26 PM (#432685 - in reply to #429231)

I just contacted Linda Erickson-Eastwood at the DNR and NO public hearing will be held on this rule change and it will in fact go through! YIPPEEE!
BrianK
Posted 8/4/2010 12:26 PM (#453395 - in reply to #432685)

August 9th 2010 this rule will take effect. Only took 6 years to complete!

One clarification to the above posting.

We are allowed to keep and transport 288 live bullheads 7 inches and under. In addition we are allowed to keep and transport 100 (more) live bullheads from 7 to 10 inches in MN.

Just doing a google search an found these comments and thought I would update them.
Tim Schmitz
Posted 8/4/2010 1:30 PM (#453405 - in reply to #429231)
Subject: Re: Liberal livebait proposal changes in Minnesota by DNR

Hey, BK I bet your skipping and singing a happy tune now.
happy hooker
Posted 8/4/2010 2:49 PM (#453413 - in reply to #453405)

being able to use bullheads JUST may make me try bait fishing,,based on the diet study of metro fish and the fact some metro muskie lakes are wiped out of their bullhead population by the first generation muskies,,somebodys gonna catch some big fish with this

Edited by happy hooker 8/4/2010 2:50 PM
Red Lab
Posted 8/4/2010 2:50 PM (#453414 - in reply to #453405)

Even Bk walks on the dark side

Edited by Red Lab 8/4/2010 2:53 PM
Tim Schmitz
Posted 8/4/2010 3:26 PM (#453419 - in reply to #453414)

Red Lab - 8/4/2010 2:50 PM

Even Bk walks on the dark side :)

Gus I bet we could make fun of BK here he'll never check this again!
Posted 8/9/2010 8:22 AM (#454024 - in reply to #453419)

You guys....

It's not just the cat guys will benefit from this rule change, the Musky, Bass and Walleye guys will too. Although most of them don't know it yet.

Thanks for the info on the bolt nipper Tim! That's going to help get those 10 Gama's out that I would normally leave in!

Bk
Tim Schmitz
Posted 8/9/2010 9:35 AM (#454036 - in reply to #429231)

#*^@ BK's everywhere. Lol did you get out last night and use some 10" bullies?
Briank
Posted 8/9/2010 11:22 PM (#454234 - in reply to #454036)

No, I slept from 8 to midnight in the back seat of a truck... coming back from the amazing Red River. We fished three days in the sun.

Screw that noise! I'm going back to cool nights!

reelman
Posted 8/10/2010 12:03 AM (#454236 - in reply to #429231)

Don't get to excited guys. Here in Wisconsin we have been allowed to use bullheads of any size, along with walleyes, northerns, or anything else we wanted to forever and I have never seen anybody use anything besides a sucker or a guy hanging a bluegill under a bobber.
Briank
Posted 8/10/2010 10:03 AM (#454269 - in reply to #454236)

I don't fish in Muskie waters...but I know of a bait shop owner that was selling 7 inch bullies to Muskie folk because they worked just as good as suckers, they stayed alive longer and could handle more stress than suckers. Not to mention they struggled more.
But that's all second had info.

Every walleye on my personal website was taken on a 6 to 7 inch bullhead and none of the walleyes caught were less than 25 inches with most being in the 26 to 28 inch range.

I'm a little excited.