Pic of Humminbird SI transducer installation ?
jtroop
Posted 3/2/2010 9:24 PM (#426683)
Subject: Pic of Humminbird SI transducer installation ?

Getting ready to install my new 898 SI. The manual gives "general instructions" for transducer mounting. Anyone willing to post a pic(s) of a working transom mount transducer installation on a Crestliner Fishhawk (or similar) ? Thanks.
moreyes
Posted 3/4/2010 5:02 AM (#426883 - in reply to #426683)
Subject: Re: Pic of Humminbird SI transducer installation ?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

Here is a great rescource for Humminbird

Edited by moreyes 3/4/2010 5:03 AM
erico
Posted 3/9/2010 8:18 PM (#427996 - in reply to #426683)
Subject: RE: Pic of Humminbird SI transducer installation ?

Attached are pics of a HB 997 transducer mount on an 1850 FishHawk. Unit was pre-mounted, only thing I would do would be to place the transducer a little close to the centerline of the boat. At full throtle, air bubbles get under the 'ducer and the returns are a little broken, but still give me a good depth reading.

Eric

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0886.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0887.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0886.JPG (99KB - 1926 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0887.JPG (106KB - 622 downloads)
jtroop
Posted 3/10/2010 8:57 PM (#428224 - in reply to #426683)

Thanks to both. The Yahoo groups has some good info but the format makes it more difficult to wade through and find what you're after. My boat has a water inlet screen and no jackplate as above. The manual had me concerned that one (or both) might obstruct the beam. Is the lower unit in the way when trimmed all the way down ?
moreyes
Posted 3/11/2010 4:56 AM (#428248 - in reply to #428224)

I had an issue with the pick up obstructing the SI transducer, I doubled up the thickness of the transducer board or make a spacer to set it back further. Problem solved
waldo
Posted 3/13/2010 8:51 AM (#428640 - in reply to #426683)

Post your question here, pretty active forum and there are often pictures posted of this sort of thing:

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

One other thing to consider - the SI mounts are supposed to require more accuracy in placement than other transducers to work well. You could look at something like this which gives you the ability to adjust it a bit:

http://www.sternmate.com/
PMV
Posted 3/13/2010 9:17 PM (#428739 - in reply to #428640)

If you don't go with that "sternmate", consider installing one of those plastic boards that you mount with two screws and then you mount your transducer to the board. This gives you a little peace of mind and adjustment without drilling a bunch of holes in the boat if you have to move the transducer. You only will have the two holes in the boat, the rest are in the board. It also comes in handy if you add a water speed wheel or other accessory in the future. Cabela's used to sell them, but I can't find them now.

pmv