Flourocarbon leaders, diameter?
Roger from Sweden
Posted 2/21/2010 12:18 PM (#424960)
Subject: Flourocarbon leaders, diameter?

Hi,
what diameter do you think is good for fishing big rubbers like mag dawgs?

What diameter is safe for fishing pike with smaller rubbers like 3 inch twin tails?

Thanks

Roger from a very, very snowy Sweden
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/21/2010 9:56 PM (#425056 - in reply to #424960)
Subject: RE: Flourocarbon leaders, diameter?

Hi Roger - Don't feel lonely, it's pretty snowy here in USA. I really don't look at diameter, for me the most important criteria is resistance to those razor sharp teeth. Muskie teeth are like pike teeth, like great white shark teeth, liked Megladon teeth- serrated and designed by evolution to cut and grip.

http://jazwear.com/images/FossilMegladonTooth.jpg

There is a big variation with respect to hardness/tooth resistance of fluorocarbon on the market. A fluoro that's easy to tie is not as tooth resistant as one that's stiiffer and more tooth resistant. I have tested just about every fluoro brand and for me there is a clear winner when it comes to hardness/tooth resistance. However, I'm not going to name manufacturer's as it would be unfair to them because it's just my own personnal opinion based on a very scientific approach, i.e., I try to bite through it (80lb) and also cut it with a filet knife, after spending a couple hundred dollars, I have found what I consider the best to meet my needs as a muskie fisherman, and I now use 80lb exclusively.

The problem most folk's will be faced with is limited availability, i.e., bait shops don't usually carry multiple brands of the same diameter/weight fluoro's. That's also where the Internet can really help. There is also a lot of info here on MF about making your own leaders, just do a "fluorocarbon" search. Salt water bait shops usually have a better selection.

Hint: If you want the toughest fluoro out there, go where the pirate's sail.

Have fun!
Al
rocket
Posted 2/22/2010 9:26 AM (#425093 - in reply to #424960)
Subject: RE: Flourocarbon leaders, diameter?

130# .046DIA will be good for your big rubber baits. I cannot comment on your small rubber baits for pike as I do not target them.

Approximately 60 inches of snow here in central Iowa so far this winter.