Frogs for musky
Lightning
Posted 2/15/2010 12:25 PM (#423831)
Subject: Frogs for musky

Has anyone ever had any luck on topwater frogs? One of the lakes I fish is very weedy and has lots of places to get lures in trouble.
john
Posted 4/28/2010 8:58 PM (#438223 - in reply to #423831)
Subject: RE: Frogs for musky

Yes. That is all I use. For musky and largemouth bass. I fish at one of the best Musky lakes in Michigan called Lake Hudson. Let everyone else fish deep. It's not as fun. Fish a frog slow through mucky weeds and lily pads but not to thick of lily pads. Reason being when you hook one, they shoot deep and more than likely you will lose the fish because of the cluster of lily pads. Use heavy frog with the weight in it, not this light garbage where you can barely cast it. Musky will absolutely destroy that frog, everytime. When they do, you have to be disciplined to wait about two seconds. Very hard to do after your frog just got smoked. When you learn how to be patient and wait a couple seconds before setting the hook, your hookup ratio will greatly increase. Take my advice. If you listen to people who say then never caught anything with that frog, they just havent tried and were never patient using it. Just when you think the fishing has turned off, WHAM! Sometimes musky will hit even though they're not hungry. They are predatorial. Sometimes I think the frog is to small to use. They need to make a bigger one than the ones on the market. Hope this helps my friend.
john
Posted 4/28/2010 9:06 PM (#438227 - in reply to #423831)

And by the way, you know when the sun is straight up and it's hotter than hell out? Most people either get off the lake or fish in deeper water. Well where do you think a lot of fish will be going to shade themselves besides deep water? Cover. Thick weeds and lily pads. That frog is effective all day long. Just be patient and fish it very slow. Reel......couple jerks.......reel........couple jerks. Under weeds they have to find that frog when looking up. A lot of times they will miss it. If they do, wait. Give it a few jerks then wait again. If nothing, cast back past that original spot where he hit and slowly real in the frog. I have landed a lot of fish after they hit and missed. If you hooked him on the other hand, don't waist your time there and move on past that area.
sworrall
Posted 4/28/2010 9:17 PM (#438230 - in reply to #423831)
Subject: Re: Frogs for musky

Great advice. Ditto.
esox69
Posted 4/28/2010 9:30 PM (#438233 - in reply to #423831)

what frog lures do you use and recomend?
PSYS
Posted 4/29/2010 12:04 PM (#438303 - in reply to #423831)
Subject: Re: Frogs for musky

I have a couple of the SPRO frogs in my tackle box... sweet lookin' bait.
CiscoKid
Posted 4/29/2010 12:11 PM (#438305 - in reply to #423831)

Frogzillas work.

Can't believe I know that being a deep water guy!