foil baits- need some advice
newmuskyz
Posted 2/6/2010 8:03 AM (#422007)
Subject: foil baits- need some advice

Hi guys, i have been making gliders for some time now, and airbrushing them. i am dying to try a foil cover/finish. i ihave never done it, but i know there is no better place to find out how to do it than here! any advice on how to cover, what type to use, and how to put the scale desighns, etc. in it would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!
BruceKY
Posted 2/6/2010 9:02 AM (#422012 - in reply to #422007)
Subject: RE: foil baits- need some advice

The easiest way is to use foil tape from the hardware store. You can fancy it up with tulle mesh underneath to look like scales. You can also use household aluminum foil or foil for wrapping candy. Use a knurled tool handle to add texture. Spray glue will hold the foil to the lure. Burnish the seams top and bottom. Cover the lure with one or two coats of epoxy then paint. The seams will disappear under the epoxy/paint. One more coat of epoxy and your done.
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/6/2010 1:52 PM (#422051 - in reply to #422007)
Subject: RE: foil baits- need some advice

Here is what I did and it seemed to work great for mine. Lots of ways to do this and some guys here are true masters at it!

1) get some aluminum foil
2) To texture the foil I did one of the following to get various textures:
a. put foil on floor and run over it with various truck toys with knobby wheels
b. crumble it up in my hands lightly
c. you can also lay down a piece of scale material onto your bait body and then using glue/epoxy press the foil into the scale material.
3) Take your foil that you have just given texture to and lightly flatten it out on a table top.
4) Using a cardboard template I put that over the foil and with a Sharpie black pen draw out the shape.
5) Use scissors to cut out the shape
6) You can be done here with the foil OR you can take it to your paint booth and spray some paint on it. I liked to hit it with paint and then right away with a rag with some paint remover take off the high sides of the foil and remove the paint revealing the foil and of course this leave the low sides with paint.
7) Take your blank and put a very light layer of epoxy over the entire lure.
8) take your foil cutout and lightly press it against the lure body. May want to add your eyes now unless you need to paint that area.
9) Hit the lure with a flame to remove bubbles and let dry
10) Put a good coat of epoxy on the entire lure and let dry.
11) Now you have your foil on your bait with a coat of epoxy over it and it should be somewhat smooth but with bumps. At this point you can hit the lure with some paint and hide the foil edges and leave the foil sides showing through the epoxy. Let paint dry.
12) Apply 2-3 more coats of epoxy. The more edges and deeper your foil the more coats of epoxy you have to apply to get it smooth. I know some really good foil jobs with deep foil pockets can take up to 10 coats of epoxy before they are smooth.
13) Redrill out your screw eye holes and put in your terminal tackle and walla, your done.

Honestly making foil baits is about the most fun lures I have ever made. They take a long time but you can do endless things to the foil and have an endless combination of foil/paint/foil, etc to get different effects.

I am sure I have missed some minor steps. Its been a year since I made any foil Grunts.

Just search this forum for "foil" and you will find many pictures of foil baits.

Post some pictures when you are done!
James