Indian Lake Chain Ontario
Posted 1/29/2010 5:08 PM (#420527)
Subject: Indian Lake Chain Ontario

Hello all! My group and I are thinking of heading up to Indian Lake Lodge in August and were wondering if anyone has had any expierience up there? We will be strictly fishing muskie and we are just wondering if we are picking a good place to go? Thank you for any info!
MuskyJ
Posted 1/29/2010 5:23 PM (#420530 - in reply to #420527)
Subject: RE: Indian Lake Chain Ontario

I was up there in 05 and 06, it's not a place for large fish even though there are a few, it's more a numbers lake. A lot of wood and some weeds. All we did was cast the shoreline and anywhere we found weed. Good Luck.
muskie! nut
Posted 1/29/2010 5:28 PM (#420533 - in reply to #420527)
Subject: Re: Indian Lake Chain Ontario

Yes, mostly smaller fish. If you seek bigger ones check out the deeper lakes like Boulder and Little Boulder. But that gin clear trout waters and sometimes can be hard to get a fish up.

I don't know about Indian lake Lodge as I stay at Clark's Camp when I go there.
twells
Posted 1/29/2010 8:44 PM (#420564 - in reply to #420527)

I haven;t been there in a few years but it is a great lake to go to for action, We have had multpile fish days everytime so far that we went. The best for me was 5 in one day. It is not too hard to fish. I am looking at heading up next year again and wouldn't hesitate to go there. As far as size of fish when we were there last we had a 38" average for landing fish. We did have a couple of fish that were pushing the 50" mark but we lost them at or close to the boat. We did put some fish in the net that were in the 40" class and super thick. We got a ton of fish on figure 8's. In 4 days of fishing the last time we legitimalty saw over 200 fish and landed 20 between 3 of us. Have fun when you go up there.
Jsondag
Posted 1/30/2010 12:51 AM (#420590 - in reply to #420527)

I have been there within the last 3 seasons. KC 's camp is a great place. I believe it is on Edward Lake?... It might be forest? It is chalked full of 30-40 inchers. We got there and some pretty severe storms came in and we only got to fish 7 hours total. We managed to land 14 fish between 30-43 inches and lost 6 or 7 more. Musky nut is correct about finding the giants of the chain. Boulder is known as the "Trout Water" of the system, and many giants have been spotted there. Throw your typical Topwater / bucktails. LOTW colors are good. Pack some red and some copper too. Fish it like the woods as well... Except boulder fish deep there, but be careful, there are some monster rocks just under the surface. Be careful and fish hard and you should have some fun! Good luck!

Edited by Jsondag 1/30/2010 12:53 AM
Posted 1/30/2010 1:14 AM (#420592 - in reply to #420527)

Thank you all so much for the info! Going up there in August with a group I am looking more for numbers than size anyway. I'll chase the one for a replica here at home in november. But hey, having a chance for a Canadian replica sounds good as well I really, really appreciate the info and will be booking the trip in the next couple days!
muskie! nut
Posted 1/30/2010 8:24 AM (#420606 - in reply to #420527)

KC's is on Edwards and is also own by the Clark's. Wayne and Karla Clark own both places on Edwards, are very nice places to stay and are reasonable

And twells says "We did put some fish in the net that were in the 40" class and super thick." That is something to keep in mind. These fish have lots of food available to them. I've seen them following slow moving baits (like suicks) and never hit. If you see this, kick that bait in gear. Speed will trigger strikes when they do that. Also at times burning bats works well too.

Edited by muskie! nut 1/30/2010 8:34 AM
Jsondag
Posted 1/30/2010 9:16 AM (#420616 - in reply to #420527)

Go there in the fall as well, you can fish muskies like walleyes. Literally, jig 10" suckers off the bottom in one spot and catch several muskies. It is the only place I've had a triple follow. We were over 18 ft of water and it was windy as hell. The muskies were stacked up on the calm water side of the island right out from KC's. On the graph they looked like a school of walleyes. Every drop you would get a nibble... set the hook and sure enough it was a musky every time. If you missed the fish and brought your sucker to the surface, at least 2 muskies would follow it to the boat every time It was crazy to say the least.
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/30/2010 9:54 AM (#420621 - in reply to #420527)

Jerry,
what time in the fall do you start jigging 10" suckers? what type of hooks, jigs, or etc. do you use with the suckers?
Jsondag
Posted 1/30/2010 11:19 PM (#420730 - in reply to #420527)

We started in the beginning of October. All we used was #3 Double hook quick set rigs, rubber banded through the nose.
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/31/2010 12:20 AM (#420737 - in reply to #420730)

Jsondag - 1/30/2010 11:19 PM

We started in the beginning of October. All we used was #3 Double hook quick set rigs, rubber banded through the nose.

Thanks Jerry. The jigging is what got my attention. I'm sure Karla and Wayne (Clark's Resorts) provide some nice suckers to fish with. I've heard a few stories about the good October sucker fishing. I've been going to Clark's Northern Lights (Cedar Lake) for several years. Connie and Jeff (managers) are great. The muskies on this lake seem to be on the fat side. Jeff's largest shows that. They keep trying to get us to use more suckers during our stay (usually mid September). Of course, last year was more like summer. Anyway, if we go this year, I'll consider looking for muskies on the other side of an island where the wind is blowing into it. If the fish are deep, I'll try the suckers.

Thanks for the advice, especially the other side of an island where the wind is blowing into it. The jigging suckers sounds interesting too. I'm not sure I'm up to going in October. anyway, I appreciate you comments and suggestions. Thanks.
Musky Brian
Posted 1/31/2010 12:35 PM (#420785 - in reply to #420737)

I used to stay at Indian lake Lodge, 3 years in a row. It was where I really learned how to fish Canadian muskies. Depending on the experience level of your group, it's as good place to get someone their first Musky or have multiple fish days. If you guys are experienced and looking for bigger fish, it's probably not the best choice, out of probably hundreds of fish I have caught and/or raised I never saw anything bigger then a 46" I caught. Sure big fish are caught from time to time, but not very likely. I would also suggest looking at Canyon Lake up the road....