Applying Epoxy to a hardbait
tuffy1
Posted 1/27/2010 11:05 AM (#419904)
Subject: Applying Epoxy to a hardbait

Hey guys,

So I'm not building a bait at all, but I have a 10" weagle whose clear coat is cracked and peeling pretty bad. I'm looking to pull all of the clearcoat off, touch it up with some black paint (it's an all black weagle), and put a new coat or two of epoxy on it.

My question, how the heck are you guys coating the baits with the epoxy? Do you just brush it on? Are you spraying it on? I'm a dummy when it comes to that stuff, but wanted to give it a shot if it's not too big of a pain. I'm assuming some 30 minute epoxy would do the trick?

Thanks guys!
MuskyFix
Posted 1/27/2010 12:32 PM (#419943 - in reply to #419904)
Subject: RE: Applying Epoxy to a hardbait

Hey Joel.
I have used Envirotex. I use a small spoon with two equal parts to mix it.
Then a inexpensive brush to apply the Envirotex mixed. Be sure to remove any loose
hairs from the brush, so they don't get on the finish. Also hobby lobby sells really fine glitter which adds flavor to the lure. If you don't have a way to turn the bait while it's drying use a thinner coat. let the lure dry for at least 30 hours.

Don't forget to scuff the lure down before painting it so there something for the paint to grip to. A green pad works fine.

Good luck

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(base_media.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments base_media.jpg (12KB - 127 downloads)
tuffy1
Posted 1/27/2010 1:18 PM (#419957 - in reply to #419943)

Thanks Ben! Luckilly I still have another 2 months to let it dry, so as long as I do that this weekend, I should be good.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/27/2010 6:21 PM (#420071 - in reply to #419957)

Joel; I do the same W/ my headbangers...but you need to put your lure in a vice or something to turn the first 2 1/2 hours or you will get settling. Turn bait every 20 min the first hour, then 1/2 hour the 2nd hour half. A thin coat will not last you long. Put it on alittle heavy, then turn accordingly.;)
Kenslures
Posted 1/27/2010 6:34 PM (#420074 - in reply to #419904)
Subject: Re: Applying Epoxy to a hardbait

Hi there, I use Envirotex Lite on all my baits. The time to cure can vary anywhere from 4-12 hours depending on the temp & moisture content in the air. If your going to only do one bait I would use 2ton epoxy as it sets up much faster & does a good job. Don't use the 5 minute epoxy as it yellows in time. Just mix the epoxy according to instructions and apply it with a glue brush or flux brush like plumbers use. They are cheap & disposable. You should be able to get by with turning your bait for about 45 minutes if you use epoxy. By that time it should be set up enough that it won't sag. Leave it cure or dry overnight & you should be good to go. I also add glitter to my clearcoat before applying. Add that extra attractant touch. Hope this helps. Ken
tuffy1
Posted 1/27/2010 7:30 PM (#420091 - in reply to #420074)

Awesome guys! I appreciate it. It's a bait with some really good mojo (no pun intended), so I want to keep it going.
CiscoKid
Posted 1/27/2010 8:16 PM (#420109 - in reply to #419904)

Joel, I have used the Envirotex as well. I don't use a brush though. I just hang the bait by a string, and dump the enviro at the top all around and let it run down the lure. As it runs I move the coating around with a popsicle stick to get the whole bait covered. I put a box underneath the bait, and a dixie cup underneath in the box to catch the drippings. After awhile before the enviro sets up I dump the dripping cup onto the lure. After two days I flip the bait around and repeat the process from the other end. You can repeat as many times as you want.

Being a weagle I would think a couple of thin coats would be better than a thick one that you need to rotate the lure for. The last thing you want is a wabull out of your weagle.
RiverMan
Posted 1/27/2010 9:07 PM (#420126 - in reply to #419904)

I wouldn't put epoxy on it if you can help it. Weagles will often run too low in the water with a coat of epoxy. Instead try a couple coats of Dick Nite or several coats of lacquer.

Jed
tuffy1
Posted 1/27/2010 9:20 PM (#420129 - in reply to #420126)

Jed,
Any lacquer you'd recommend? I was wondering if epoxy would be too heavy. Just looking to seal it up again and keep it running.
newmuskyz
Posted 1/28/2010 7:23 PM (#420329 - in reply to #420129)

Jed is right, there is nothing wrong with e-tex, but its very buoyant and will change the action and rate of fall of any bait. its like adding plastic. if you can get your hands on a little dick nite's and a cheap gravity feed detail gun you would be better off. it lays down great and dries fast, and is made for lures. Do some checking, i know he stopped producing it for a while, he has a website. search dick nite spoons. stuff is great and wont mess up the bait!!