Red Lake Ont.
TJP
Posted 1/26/2010 7:49 PM (#419779)
Subject: Red Lake Ont.

Heading to Red Lake in Ontario the last week of August,Staying at Bow Narrows.
Anyone have any ideas on this lake ???
Thanks
itmusky
Posted 1/26/2010 9:09 PM (#419802 - in reply to #419779)
Subject: RE: Red Lake Ont.

I fished the lake a few years ago in July and i wasnt that impressed with the fishing as a whole. The walleye fishing was slow, caught most of them 15 - 20 ft trolling crawler harnesses, i had best luck with pink/perch colored blades. With that being said my biggest walleye was maybe 22 inches, overall not that great and not many numbers. However the northen fishing was better then average IMO. Small bucktails in bright gaudy colors seem to produce in shallow flat/weeds. Someone also caught a musky while we were there, i didnt think Red Lake had any in it. Good luck
Musky Brian
Posted 1/26/2010 11:43 PM (#419838 - in reply to #419802)

I fished it up until about 10 years ago, stayed there for 3 years...I'm not going to say the fishing is bad, but I am going to guarantee you that you will be driving by countless lakes that could offer you better fishing that are way closer to home then where you are going...

The walleye fishing is ok...there are big fish in there but it's not the easiest to find schools stacked up. Pike fishing is descent ( but where is it not in Canada?), there is an occasional musky caught but not something you could target. The best part of the lake used to be that it was an amazing lake Trout fishery ( at least closer to the Western portion), however...I have noticed in the regulation books that they have really clamped down on how you can fish for them, talked to some locals who have told me the Trout fishery has really taken a dive due to over-harvest

I'm sure you will have a great time but in my opinion that's too long of a drive with better or certainly just as good of fishing 2 hours closer to home....( example...I have fished all of them and would certainly not drive by Eagle and certainly Lac Seul to go all the way up to Red)

Edited by Musky Brian 1/26/2010 11:47 PM
brmusky
Posted 1/27/2010 7:37 AM (#419856 - in reply to #419779)
Subject: Re: Red Lake Ont.

Friends of mine have a cabin up there and I have seen great fishing out there and some terrible fishing, it all depends on the weather. Most of the walleye I have seen caught up there are 15 - 22 inches with some nice ones up to 28 inches mixed in. If we pull up to a spot and catch a 12 incher we leave. I won't ever bring my musky gear up there again, it was a waste of time. I caught a few nice pike but have never seen a musky.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/27/2010 1:55 PM (#419974 - in reply to #419779)

I used to fish Gullrock Lake which is right by Red. Had fair numbers of walleyes in the 17-24" range. Biggest was a thin 31"er Used yellow hair jigs off the points in 8-15 feet of water. Pike were present but much slower than other lakes I've fished. Beautiful scenery and a lot of fun but I would definately not go there again as many lakes offer more potential.

Andy
IAJustin
Posted 1/27/2010 4:15 PM (#420024 - in reply to #419974)

Gullrock has monster pike - I have 7 over 45" out of Gullrock - Gullrock, Keg and Red lake (among others) are connected and are accessible without portage.....but August will be a little tougher month to find 40"+ pike but they are in Red lake by the thousands...
50inchGrinch
Posted 1/27/2010 6:36 PM (#420075 - in reply to #420024)

Never been up there but have heard of some good sized Gators. In the last week of August, if things have started to cool, bigger fish will most likely be returning to the weeds. They should be somewhat easy to find on the edges of some bigger weed-beds adjacent to open water. I usually target them by trolling baits 1-3' deep along the edges. I would say the weed-bed bite will probably be your best chance some consistent big fish.

Darcy Cox
justencase
Posted 1/29/2010 12:38 PM (#420479 - in reply to #420075)

It has been a number of years since I've been to Red Lake but if you are interested in Musky I would highly recommend contacting Franklin Mullin from Franklin's on Stone Lake Resort to arrange a guided day with him. Make sure to ask him about "Tag Team Musky Fishing". FYI-Babe W. filmed a Musky show with Franklin some years back. Franklin's email is: [email protected].
I hope to get back soon, it's been too long.
p.s. he also guides for Walleye/Northern to a lake that is as good as any fly-in IMO. Crazy adventure just gettting to the lake...