A Note To All of Us Who Live in The Basement
Beaver
Posted 1/23/2010 10:07 PM (#419101)
Subject: A Note To All of Us Who Live in The Basement

I found this slap in the face over on eBay. There is more to his bragadocious diatribe belittling all of us who inhabit the basement, but this is the high point of the low point.

"Check out the paintjobs. We use artists, not your typical bait painter. No expense is spared as the bait is finished by a taxidermist, not by some guy with an air brush in one hand and a Budweiser in the other."

I quit drinking more than 20 years ago. When I quit, Budweiser had to lay off 10 guys.
Search "Euroglide" on ebay, and you too will be unimpressed by his "artists" paint jobs.
I'm proud to come from the basement.
Beaver

RiverMan
Posted 1/23/2010 11:46 PM (#419121 - in reply to #419101)
Subject: Re: A Note To All of Us Who Live in The Basement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder........my guess is there are also some beer drinking taxidermists.

Jed
Pikopath
Posted 1/24/2010 1:54 AM (#419131 - in reply to #419101)

Haha fantastic sales text/gimmick. I will have to start using that.
I have btwa, moved from the basement to the kitchen, with access to the fridge.... hmm this could be painted with a Caffrey's in one hand...

Michael
Beaver
Posted 1/24/2010 2:22 AM (#419135 - in reply to #419131)

I'm thinking of just hooking up an I.V. and a catheter. I can load up a bag with fluids and medication and just let it all drain out and never have to get off of the painting stool. I've painted some of my best patterns with my vision blurred
MuskyMachine
Posted 1/24/2010 3:19 AM (#419138 - in reply to #419101)

WOW!! Get a clue!! Taxidermist's do use air brush's! And I think a little kid could have painted those lures!!!! That guy has no understanding the talent that is in this basement!!!!!! There is alot of talented lure painter's here that can paint 100 times better than those lures are!!! That just makes me laugh what a gimmick!!!! keep up the awesome work guy's!!!
muskymachine
woodieb8
Posted 1/24/2010 4:39 AM (#419140 - in reply to #419101)

i have a dedicated shop. not the basement. wow does that make me picasso. give me a break. i have seen rattle can jobs, guys using artista brushes in a bathroom, in your basement it just dont matter. to be little another only shows insecurities of your own .
rock on guys. the best and the most iniative work comes from basement or woodshed builders. PERIOD
Don
Posted 1/24/2010 6:02 AM (#419142 - in reply to #419140)

I know I am not to the level of some of you guys but for someone to make a comment like that is bull(^&%.
I sell a few to some guys here in the basement but I have never advertised on eBay. I may put a few up now so people can see the baits the basement turns out.
I may even give them away.
Don
2K (kustom kolors)
fatfingers
Posted 1/24/2010 10:24 AM (#419170 - in reply to #419101)
Subject: RE: A Note To All of Us Who Live in The Basement

Sounds like that guy on Ebay is really desperate to sell a few fishing lures, eh?

Too funny.
RiverMan
Posted 1/24/2010 10:33 AM (#419173 - in reply to #419101)

I get a kick out of this comment too, "If you are not ready for this bait, don't bid". lol.

jed
RS
Posted 1/24/2010 12:12 PM (#419188 - in reply to #419101)

I just love the words of Quade at Reaction Strike, full power BS at it's best!
etch
Posted 1/24/2010 12:23 PM (#419190 - in reply to #419170)

fatfingers - 1/24/2010 11:24 AM

Sounds like that guy on Ebay is really desperate to sell a few fishing lures, eh?

Too funny.

your right fatfingers, pretty sad, but what is really funny is you are learning to speak canadian, EH!!!! lmao

Etch
ShaneW
Posted 1/24/2010 12:25 PM (#419191 - in reply to #419190)

Typical Reaction Strike stuff at its best!
The Toad
Posted 1/24/2010 12:46 PM (#419195 - in reply to #419191)

Wow, I didn't know there were that many 13 year old taxidermists in China...hmmm, lol. And what do taxidermists use to paint with, anyway, if not airbrushes. And Giant 6" gliders? That's giant? If they are 8" then they are giant 6" lures, but if not, them's regulars in my judgement. Ah well, everyone knows that a handmade basement bait is a quality lure, not something that is cranked out assembly style in another country. I have too many of these lures that I couldn't sell for a dime, and don't work, sitting in my garage. They only way I figure I can get rid of them, is to paint them up myself and sell them on ebay, except, I wouldn't do it, because the lures don't work and I wouldn't put a crap bait out there for someone else to waste their money on. What gets me is that these companies used the ideas for their baits from baitmakers in the first place. John Hopkins first started using fibers on his swimbaits a long time ago, and now you can find them everywhere, including in bass pro shops swimbaits. If someone wants to slam on basement bait makers, then start coming up with your own ideas first.
lambeau
Posted 1/24/2010 3:41 PM (#419217 - in reply to #419101)

Reaction Strike / Quade...sigh...garbage.

i actually got a threatening note from him and his lawyer once for pointing out to one of his major muskie retailers that he was undercutting them with direct sales on eBay at lower prices. but oddly enough the items were pulled from eBay within 2 days. lol.

anyone who appreciates artistry knows where it's found: right here.
keep it up guys!

Edited by lambeau 1/24/2010 3:42 PM
Shack Attack
Posted 1/24/2010 4:22 PM (#419224 - in reply to #419101)

If you really think about it, I would bet that nearly all lure designs came from somebody’s basement or shed. So, without basement builders we would not have anywhere near the number of great fishing lures that we have today and perhaps China would not have any fishing lure factory’s.
Beaver
Posted 1/24/2010 4:57 PM (#419229 - in reply to #419224)

What comes to mind as I read the replies to this subject is a big Thank-You going out to the guy or guys who decided to put this forum on the the best muskie-related site in the world. It is a definite win-win for all who visit here. Let's face it, all of us in the basement like to come up every once in a while and and show off what we are proud of, or ideas that we like to share or get opinions on. Kind of like a huge R&D Department. Questions are asked and answered, and those of you who don't live in the basement get to see what's coming up the stairs when we get things finished. In all of the time that I have been reading posts from the basement, I have never heard any of our on-site artists putting down other people for the quality of their work. It's sad that some people think that we are beer drinking gang-bangers who tag some wood and think that we are artists. I'm glad we get put in our place every once in a while or we'd be bragging about our sub-par work all over the worldwideweb.
Seriously, thanks to muskiefirst and my fellow basement dwellers who have taught me many things and shared ideas and answered questions. I'm thankful that we have our little corner of the world.
This year out of Beav's basement, more Gifts From God, primarily Figured CA Redwood in a menu full of shapes and sizes, and most unpainted. (Talk about an artist....God doesn't even need any paint) Also....as I ventured into the wood-working phase of the operation I discovered several new body styles, and to my amazement, I found out that no 2 of my blanks are ever exactly alike. It's not that I'm not trying, I guess that I don't have the talent to be a cookie-cutter carpenter. So once I get around to it, look for new and different glider bodies and watch for some old ones to come back better this time around. My first lure, The Castor is coming back, this time thicker and made out of Maple. Same thing for the Perkette....thicker, but still the nice small profile that many guys are asking for. Anyway, I'm not in a rush, but I don't want you guys to think that I've been slacking off. I have 22 boards yet to be cut up, and 3 beautiful slabs of CA Redwood. You'll see them here first as usual, and they will undoubtedly be showing up at MF Outings. Another way of saying, "Thanks for the basement."
Beav
muskyslayer96
Posted 1/24/2010 7:52 PM (#419256 - in reply to #419101)

I'll second that Beav. I would still be trying to figure out how to insert the screw eye if it wern't for this site and all the help from fellow builders. i great place for help, ideas, inspiration and comradarie. thanks to everyone on this site, and happy building2010!
MS
MuskyFix
Posted 1/24/2010 9:58 PM (#419289 - in reply to #419256)

The best baits out there came from the Basement.

keep up the great work guys.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/25/2010 9:19 PM (#419538 - in reply to #419101)

Actually I drink Miller Lite when I paint Grunts. As for RQ (AKA iamhoo)...well, the emails he sent me a few years ago threatening me got him 6 lines of SuperDs in 42 colors. Sometimes those comments will get you the exact opposite "reaction" than you would have liked.

The best baits I have ever seen have been posted on this board. Bass, musky pike it does not matter. Wow is all I can think sometimes when I see some of the baits here.

James
Targa01
Posted 1/26/2010 12:32 AM (#419563 - in reply to #419195)

The Toad - 1/24/2010 12:46 PM
And Giant 6" gliders? That's giant? If they are 8" then they are giant 6" lures.

I had to laugh Toad since this reminded me of a comedian years ago talking about a dive circus and some of its exhibits....

"COME SEE THESE FREAKS OF NATURE... GIANT MIDGETS!!! STANDING 5'8" TALL!!!" ........ Classic stuff

Back to the subject I've seen some unbelievable stuff posted in the basement forums here. Hard to believe how you guys can bring pieces of wood to life.... and with a beer in the other hand!!
Dirt Esox
Posted 1/26/2010 6:59 AM (#419573 - in reply to #419101)

Hahahaaha good stuff Targa!!!
Chas
Posted 1/26/2010 9:35 PM (#419808 - in reply to #419289)

MuskyFix - 1/24/2010 9:58 PM

The best baits out there came from the Basement.

keep up the great work guys.

Ditto on that. I can never get enough of looking at all of your work! Some of best talent in country/world is right on this board. The list of guys I would buy baits from in the "basement" is to long to list.

Chas

Edited by Chas 1/26/2010 9:37 PM
Hoosierbaits
Posted 1/27/2010 4:06 PM (#420019 - in reply to #419101)

Just a couple comments to add, How many us of us ended up with with a particular shad crankbait that the bills fell out of and if for some act of god stayed in they rolled over when reeled in? My best selling color is Rum-n-Coke.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/29/2010 10:20 AM (#420445 - in reply to #419101)

Id rather get a glider done by one of you fine basement bait makers.. Taxidermy eyes? Is that really supposed to persuade me
newmuskyz
Posted 1/29/2010 9:53 PM (#420572 - in reply to #420019)

I'll take a hoosier or bikini anyday- those euroglides aren't as bad as the massive 6 inch "DaGlide" i was suckered into. that fine artisrty led to a vinyl scanned bait that floated.in other words, junk!!! Guys, i dont have your talent, but i can assure you, one thing i will never do is try to sell a bait just for the eyes! keep up the good work Don, jed, and all you others, and by the way, tigger, what a list of beautys!!!!! i am heading downstairs,after reading this one suddenly, i have a little feeling of confidence, maybe even a couple taxidermy eyes....yee haw!!
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/30/2010 12:07 PM (#420641 - in reply to #419217)

lambeau - 1/24/2010 3:41 PM

Reaction Strike / Quade...sigh...garbage.

i actually got a threatening note from him and his lawyer once for pointing out to one of his major muskie retailers that he was undercutting them with direct sales on eBay at lower prices. but oddly enough the items were pulled from eBay within 2 days. lol.

anyone who appreciates artistry knows where it's found: right here.
keep it up guys!

Boy if someone else said that, this thead would be deleted ??????
So I guess whats good for the goose is not allways good for the gander ????
What happen to the slam policy ?????

Edited by PIKEMASTER 1/30/2010 12:09 PM
RiverMan
Posted 1/30/2010 8:39 PM (#420707 - in reply to #420572)

newmuskyz - 1/29/2010 9:53 PM

I'll take a hoosier or bikini anyday- those euroglides aren't as bad as the massive 6 inch "DaGlide" i was suckered into. that fine artisrty led to a vinyl scanned bait that floated.in other words, junk!!! Guys, i dont have your talent, but i can assure you, one thing i will never do is try to sell a bait just for the eyes! keep up the good work Don, jed, and all you others, and by the way, tigger, what a list of beautys!!!!! i am heading downstairs,after reading this one suddenly, i have a little feeling of confidence, maybe even a couple taxidermy eyes....yee haw!!

Very kind of you..............I agree with the comment that most ideas come from basement builders. It's the addiction that allows us to come up with new deas. There is hardly an hour of the day that goes by where I'm not thinking about building a new or existing lure and I know there are many others here that think the same way. A person in a lure factory on the other hand, is thinking about his lunch break or weekend, it's about the money, not the passion.

Jed
SuperMuskie
Posted 1/30/2010 11:48 PM (#420734 - in reply to #419101)

Everything the guy from RS is selling is from China. Most of it is garbage pawned off as the greatest lures in the world. I'm all for making a living but when it comes to bullying other sellers on Ebay or anywhere it's not cool. I got a letter form this Bozo a few years back threatening me about some lures he claimed were his idea. My thing is either sell on Ebay or sell wholesale to retailers...not both. It's like double dipping. Nothing like undercutting the major retailer you wholesale to. I can get the same stuff just about any other so called lure manufacturer is selling and sell it with no legal repercussions. The letter from his lawyer is just that...a letter from a lawyer. When if comes down to major manufacturers they're not really that. They are more or less importers of foreign made goods that have been sold for years before thay claimed them as their own. On Ebay you also see a ton of guys selling "Custom Painted Luckycraft Lures." But some guys forget to ask where the original boxes are. When this is presented to the seller they panic and want to know why you are asking for the original boxes. They too bring in hundereds or lures from China and pawn them off as real Luckycrafts when in realtiy they are paying cents per unpainted lure body that looks similar to major brands. Sixthsenselures does this and gets away with it.
It's a crazy world we live in. Then on the flipside you have the master John Snow who regularly pulls $150-$200 per one of his works of art. If you hand build it, they will come.
Posted 1/31/2010 10:37 AM (#420764 - in reply to #419101)

They also have a Revo Shad musky bait they just came out with as well. According to Ginger Sperman they have already caugth pike well over 50 inches on them.
castblast
Posted 2/3/2010 3:41 PM (#421497 - in reply to #419101)

I just love the fact that no one has bid on them. lol. and to be honest, i dont make my own lures but the best ones ive seen or gotten have come from guys working in thier garage,shop, or basement. this guys a clown.
newmuskyz
Posted 2/3/2010 4:05 PM (#421502 - in reply to #420734)

supermuskie,
you are correct about the luckys from china being painted and sold on the bay. i sell some custom lucky's, but always ship the original boxes. i try to treat people like i would want to be treated if i was paying two or three times what something is worth! keep up the good work guys!
thescottith
Posted 2/4/2010 3:36 PM (#421714 - in reply to #421502)

I dont have any talent when it comes to making lures but love coming on this forum and looking at everyones lures. The current ones here...unreal paint jobs.
You guys do awesome work.