thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders
jah1317
Posted 1/19/2010 12:02 PM (#418134)
Subject: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

I have been thinking about going strictly to split rings on the lure end of my leaders to attach because A: they are cheaper B: they will not come unsnapped and C: I don't change baits alot so it's not really an issue for convience. Any thoughts on the subject? This would be on single strand wire for jerk/glide baits and for floro leaders. I would be using wolverine 3x rings nothing wimpy....
Thanks,

Jacob
twells
Posted 1/19/2010 12:13 PM (#418140 - in reply to #418134)
Subject: RE: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

Jacob,
I have beendoin this for the past couple of seasons and is my first choice. It become pretty easy to change baits when you decide to. If you carry a split ring pliers with you it is even easier. I have lost fish opening up snaps (yes some have been cheap and some better snaps broke) and will not go back to them.
MuskieMike
Posted 1/19/2010 12:30 PM (#418147 - in reply to #418134)

I switched to rings on most of my set ups, I still use snaps on a couple of my all purpose rods, but for the most part I went with all rings. I have more faith in them than snaps.
Will Schultz
Posted 1/19/2010 1:05 PM (#418157 - in reply to #418134)
Subject: Re: thoughts on split rings VS. Snaps on leaders

If you're going to use rings the Bucher rings are the best for this connection. The triple rings don't fit some baits so you would have to add rings to those anyway. Another item is to use a solid ring between leader and ring which prevents the wire from working into the ring and on flouro prevents any abrasion from the ring.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 1/19/2010 1:15 PM (#418159 - in reply to #418147)

I went to split rings years ago! I have more confidence in them. Word of caution: I know split ring pliers are great. But try and use a fingernail to put them on. Split ring pliers can weaken a ring. This is of course you change baits often.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 1/19/2010 2:07 PM (#418167 - in reply to #418159)

I've NEVER heard of a quality split ring on the end of a leader letting a lure go. I have however heard of snaps weakening to where they break, and opening. Even if it is only a 1% chance of a snap opening, I'm not a gambling man. I'll stick with the rings.

Esox-Hunter - 1/19/2010 2:15 PM

Split ring pliers can weaken a ring. This is of course you change baits often.

I throw out a ring once it's loose enough for me to change with a fingernail. I probably go through 15 per season. And I change baits quite often. Also, I use only the Bucher rings.
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/20/2010 7:21 AM (#418333 - in reply to #418167)

Check out the Norman Lures Speed Clips. You can see them on the Cabelas website. I tried them four years ago and they are all i have used since. Like using a split ring but no need for pliers, just a little squeeze and your bait is on/off and i have never had one weaken yet because of their heavydutyness and at $3.79 for 5 of them in the "musky size" in my opinion they can't be beat.
Plunker
Posted 1/20/2010 8:00 AM (#418338 - in reply to #418134)

My father tried the Norman Lures Speed Clips quite a few years ago. He liked them as well because they were easy on/off for lures. They started of open up and become weak however. Luckily he never lost a fish on them, but a few hits deffinately had them destroyed. STUSHSKY has maybe gotten them to work; I consider them an accident waiting to happen.
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/20/2010 8:10 AM (#418339 - in reply to #418338)

Plunker - 1/20/2010 9:00 AM

My father tried the Norman Lures Speed Clips quite a few years ago. He liked them as well because they were easy on/off for lures. They started of open up and become weak however. Luckily he never lost a fish on them, but a few hits deffinately had them destroyed. STUSHSKY has maybe gotten them to work; I consider them an accident waiting to happen.

wow that really surprises me since i used the same three or four all of last year and took many fish on each of them and they are as strong as day one with absolutely no signs of weakening in any way let alone any being destroyed! were you using the heavy duty thicker musky grade ones? are we talking about the same item?

Edited by STUSHSKY 1/20/2010 9:00 AM
Team Rhino
Posted 1/20/2010 8:18 AM (#418340 - in reply to #418134)

Every fish I caught last year was with a Stay Loc snap on a Stealth Leader. I've been using them for the last 2 season exclusively and have had zero issues. I just replace the snap when the paint starts to wear off. Musky Tackle online sells the #5 snaps and they replace easily. Before that I used split rings and never had an issue with it either. I just like the easy on off with a snap. Everybody uses what they feel comfortable with. Matter of personal preference.
jackson
Posted 1/20/2010 10:12 AM (#418355 - in reply to #418134)

sorry, i can't see doing this.. What a PITA if you change baits. I use quality components like Seaguar, and Stealth leaders with snaps. I have NEVER lost a fish to a defective snap.. Maybe its because i actually take the 3 seconds to look at the leader and snaps before i even leave for the day of fishing.
Plunker
Posted 1/20/2010 12:08 PM (#418367 - in reply to #418134)

STUSHSKY, maybe they came out with a heavier one or started using a higher quality wire in the last couple years, but when he used them I know it was the heaviest model they made.
Will Schultz
Posted 1/20/2010 12:22 PM (#418372 - in reply to #418355)

jackson - 1/20/2010 11:12 AM

sorry, i can't see doing this.. What a PITA if you change baits. I use quality components like Seaguar, and Stealth leaders with snaps. I have NEVER lost a fish to a defective snap.. Maybe its because i actually take the 3 seconds to look at the leader and snaps before i even leave for the day of fishing.

Honestly, it isn't any more of a PITA than a snap. I can change a bait just as fast with a splitring as I can with a snap. I still have stayloc snaps on my trolling rods and in some cases it is more difficult to change baits w/ snaps.

Most people are smart enough to change a worn snap. What most people don't understand is that a snap can get stuck sideways in the tow eye on some lures and they'll break. The solution is to install split rings on any baits in question but it's so much easier to just use a leader w/ a split ring on my leader and remove any doubt. If you take precautions with snaps there shouldn't ever be a problem.

Edited by Will Schultz 1/20/2010 1:23 PM
AWH
Posted 1/20/2010 2:02 PM (#418382 - in reply to #418134)

I don't think that either way is 100% fool proof. I've heard of issues when it comes to both snaps and split rings. The most important thing is to use what you're comfortable and confident in, and most importantly, make sure you use top quality components. Even with the best quality components, make sure you inspect them and change them out when necessary and you should be in good shape.

It's nice to have manufacturers like Stealth Tackle who are willing to make them however you want them. They come standard with Stay-Lok snaps. But whether you want them with snaps or rings, they'll make them anyway you want them. Beats the factory made leaders where you have no choice in what they make.

Aaron

Edited by AWH 1/20/2010 4:23 PM
Performance_Tuned
Posted 1/20/2010 7:56 PM (#418466 - in reply to #418382)

I would advise caution, or at least extreme observation, when using a split ring with a solid wire leader on lures with a lot of side to side motion, i.e. gliders. I thought about going the split ring route, but when using a brand new glide bait for a couple of hours I made a twitch, my line went slack and I watched in horror as my brand new Sidewinder sank to the bottom. Fortunately the water was shallow and I was able to get it back with the net. The wire had worked its way into the split and slowly worked itself off. This is with a 90# Spro Power Slit ring and them dudes is stout. I think the welded ring idea above would solve this problem but I didn't have any, so I went back to Stay-locs.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 1/21/2010 12:08 AM (#418494 - in reply to #418466)

Performance_Tuned, I've had that happen to me on a WTD top water. Like you mentioned I think the solid ring would solve that issue. Extreme observation there on out after that happened.

Edited by Esox-Hunter 1/21/2010 12:11 AM
Posted 1/21/2010 8:51 AM (#418519 - in reply to #418134)

I prefer solid rings I use the ones salwater guys use to jig.
They won't open the splitring because they are pretty thick.
And I just put bucher splitrings on all my baits.
FEVER
Posted 1/21/2010 7:37 PM (#418694 - in reply to #418134)

I also use #5 solid rings on my leaders and have bucher splitrings on all my baits.
Beaver
Posted 1/21/2010 8:37 PM (#418716 - in reply to #418694)

I make my own leaders and just leave a loop on one end and put either a barrel or ball bearing swivel on the other end. I put split rings on the nose of all of my lures.
I have had 2 snaps open up on me, and now I don't have to worry about it happening again.
50inchGrinch
Posted 1/22/2010 9:37 AM (#418817 - in reply to #418134)

DON'T USE SPLIT RINGS WITH WIRE!!!!

You might be able to get away with using a solid wire leader but 7-strand and alike is a definite NO-NO!

JimtenHaaf wrote,
"I've NEVER heard of a quality split ring on the end of a leader letting a lure go."

Butcher split rings easily thread themselves off of thin wire. Had this happen and probably killed a fish this fall, that ended up swimming away with a 13" Granny lodged in its yap.

The idea suggested of using a solid ring then adding a split ring is a great one. Don't see how this could fail.

Of course splits are good to go on Floro or Mono.

Darcy Cox

Edited by 50inchGrinch 1/22/2010 9:39 AM
esoxlucifer
Posted 1/22/2010 10:58 AM (#418830 - in reply to #418817)

i go on remote canadian pike lakes catching between 20 -100 fish per day each averaging 8 pounds...up to high 20 lb. we throw magnum musky baits as much as any other bait. our group has had several snap failures over the years even with the snaps mentioned even with frequent changing of snaps. since change to the wire to solid ring to quality split ring we have no failures. changing lures is a wash in terms of speed. also, make sure that on both sides of split ring connection u have enough thickness...problems with bucks make with thin wire-either rewire em or put a small split ring on and solder shut before using with above system.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 1/22/2010 11:09 AM (#418835 - in reply to #418817)

50inchGrinch - 1/22/2010 10:37 AM

JimtenHaaf wrote,
"I've NEVER heard of a quality split ring on the end of a leader letting a lure go."

Butcher split rings easily thread themselves off of thin wire. Had this happen and probably killed a fish this fall, that ended up swimming away with a 13" Granny lodged in its yap.

The idea suggested of using a solid ring then adding a split ring is a great one. Don't see how this could fail.

Darcy Cox

Well, I WAS refering to PROPERLY using split rings. ie not putting them directly onto a thin steel leader.

50inchGrinch - 1/22/2010 10:37 AM

Of course splits are good to go on Floro or Mono.

Darcy Cox

WHAT???!!! Again, with the use of a solid steel ring of course. The sharp edges on a split ring can nick & fray the flouro.
50inchGrinch
Posted 1/22/2010 2:41 PM (#418863 - in reply to #418134)

Lol... Probably should have mentioned that in your first post.

I've NEVER heard of a quality split ring on the end of a FLORO leader letting go.

You seriously think the edges of the ring can fray floro that badly??

Darcy Cox
V
Posted 1/22/2010 5:06 PM (#418884 - in reply to #418134)

YEAH
randers41
Posted 1/22/2010 5:46 PM (#418892 - in reply to #418134)

Use 80# Power Pro line tied directly to single strand wire loop and use Bucher split ring on other end to attach lure. Never have had an issue. Used jerk baits, surface lures, DCG's.
muskie! nut
Posted 1/22/2010 6:43 PM (#418901 - in reply to #418892)

I have not read the responses on this thread, but I have been using split rings on most of my baits for quite a few years now. I love the Leaders and Lures cable, its strong and doesn't kink enough to harm the performance. I finally got Gene of Leaders & Lures make me ones with the solid rings. I'm going to love these things for most of my baits. The exception would be single strand wire for WTD style topwaters and glide jerkbaits. Now if only the ice would go.....

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(bsleader1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bsleader1.JPG (35KB - 162 downloads)
muskie! nut
Posted 1/22/2010 7:04 PM (#418903 - in reply to #418134)

I have reviewed the posts. I use wolverines where the eye is large enough to accommodate and Buchers split rings on smaller eyes. Split rings can take a lots of opening and closings before they need to be changed - even when using a split ring pliers. I also use heavier single strand at times (360# test .035dia) and that will not walk out of a split ring. I also make sure that I check my leader/split ring connection often and always place the opening over the eye - not the wire. One last item, if the bait doesn't roll, I don't use a ball bearing on my single strand leaders for these baits. You get better action without one with either topwaters or glidebaits.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 1/23/2010 8:28 AM (#418955 - in reply to #418863)

50inchGrinch - 1/22/2010 3:41 PM

Lol... Probably should have mentioned that in your first post.

I've NEVER heard of a quality split ring on the end of a FLORO leader letting go.

You seriously think the edges of the ring can fray floro that badly??

Darcy Cox

LOL! Sorry.... I've heard of instances where the ring can fray the flouro. I'm just a "play it safe" kind of guy. A solid ring costs like $.10. For how much we spend on other items, I think it's one of the cheapest investments for one of the links between you and a muskie.
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 8:42 AM (#418960 - in reply to #418955)

"A solid ring costs like $.10. For how much we spend on other items"

If you can find them. Thornes Bros. has been out of them for at least a year and Rollie & Helen's have been trying to get them, but they say it costs too much. I cut a used BB swivel to use the welded rings for the leaders.

Edited by muskie! nut 1/23/2010 8:43 AM
piker
Posted 1/23/2010 8:56 AM (#418964 - in reply to #418960)

try ebay
muskie! nut
Posted 1/23/2010 9:13 AM (#418970 - in reply to #418134)

Don't deal with eBay and I'm not starting now.
piker
Posted 1/23/2010 9:32 AM (#418972 - in reply to #418970)

hmm ok, maybe you can try some saltwater fishing stores? They most of the time have solid rings
dietmar
Posted 1/23/2010 11:54 AM (#418986 - in reply to #418134)

Hello,

I make all my leaders by myself. There are different ways to optimize different solutions.

I use Stay Lok and Berkley Cross Lok Snaps for all kind of lures like glider, diver..... It is important to fix the snap with a shrink tube on the titanium or 7x7 leader. The shrink tube must reach over the crimping sleeve. Never bend a snap!!!! This will weaken the wire. You can open or close a snap for a very long time if you never leave the elastic region. If you add a split ring to every lure you got a bit more security against loosing a lure.

I use spring rings on my leaders for heavy swim baits and very big baits. If I use a monofil I secure every loop with a spring or loop protector (thimble). You can find them in shops for saltwater fishing. On monofile you can't use a shrink tube. So a split ring is the best way. It is a good way to optimize this leader with an additional solid ring.

On a leader for double blades i use two high quality ball bearing (Japan made) swivels, one at each end of the leader in combination with a snap or a split ring.

I add some photos.

Bye, Dietmar

Edited by dietmar 1/23/2010 12:08 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(FCVorfach.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Vorfach1.jpeg (9KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments Vorfach2.jpeg (29KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments Vorfach3.jpeg (9KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments FCVorfach.jpg (81KB - 151 downloads)
Will Schultz
Posted 1/24/2010 1:33 AM (#419129 - in reply to #418960)

muskie! nut - 1/23/2010 9:42 AM

"A solid ring costs like $.10. For how much we spend on other items"

If you can find them. Thornes Bros. has been out of them for at least a year and Rollie & Helen's have been trying to get them, but they say it costs too much. I cut a used BB swivel to use the welded rings for the leaders.

Owner just started selling solid rings (I think as I've never seen them until this year) and you can find them most places. Google "owner solid rings" and you'll find plenty of places with them. They are the best I've seen. Size 5 would be my suggestion the 6.5 are too big for the split ring connection IMO. If you like going w/o a swivel the 6.5 would be great for the mainline/leader connection.
dietmar
Posted 1/24/2010 4:40 AM (#419141 - in reply to #418134)

Hello,

I think the solid rings from Owner are the most expensive rings on the market. But you can find also rings from Shout, Duel, Varivas, Asari, Anglers Pal and other manufacturer in the shops. Such solid rings are thick stainless steel washer with grinded edges.

If you want to start your own solid ring production you need a "vibration tumbler" like this and thick stainless steal washer. A tumbler is a bowl and the better ones have a thick inner coating with polyurethan. A motor keep the bowl in a vibrating movement. Than you put the washer and the ceramic preformed shapes in the bowl. There are different sizes and forms for such abrasive materials on the market. I think for this you need little pyramids. The stones grind and polish the edges of the washer. With this technology it is possible to grind/polish semi precious stones and small parts of metal.

Tight lines, Dietmar

Edited by dietmar 1/24/2010 11:38 AM