New card needed for Canada
Allstate48
Posted 1/16/2010 8:11 AM (#417651)
Subject: New card needed for Canada

Is there something new you need to fish in Canada? Something was said about a card you had to get. Or can we get it when we get to the camp? Thanks Doug
esox50
Posted 1/16/2010 8:25 AM (#417652 - in reply to #417651)
Subject: RE: New card needed for Canada

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02...

I got my card LONG after I bought my 2009 season license (I'm a non-resident, but am now living on Ontario). I don't believe you have to pay extra for the card, but am not positive. The resorts probably know more about this so I would contact them first. (You could probably pick any one and they would help you out. First one coming to mind is Andy Meyers Lodge.)
VMS
Posted 1/16/2010 8:33 AM (#417654 - in reply to #417651)
Subject: Re: New card needed for Canada

I believe the card cost $9.00 CDN. Nothing too major.

Sean, when did you move north? Where you located and I take it you must have found a decent job...

Steve
esox50
Posted 1/16/2010 8:52 AM (#417656 - in reply to #417654)

Hey Steve. I'm in Ottawa going to grad school (see first two links below). Far from LOTW, but I'll be returning next summer!
VMS
Posted 1/16/2010 9:00 AM (#417657 - in reply to #417651)

I'd hope so!!

How's school going so far?

esoxaddict
Posted 1/16/2010 1:08 PM (#417709 - in reply to #417651)

I do not remember how much I paid for my card, but as I understand it, it is now a requirement. I THINK I signed up for it last summer at Andy Myers Lodge?? Anyway, it just came in the mail a month or so ago -- it takes a while.
Pepper
Posted 1/16/2010 2:48 PM (#417713 - in reply to #417651)

It's called an Ontario Outdoors Card. The cost is $9.00. It's good for 3 years. You will need to apply for the card and pay for it before you can purchase a fishing license in Onatrio. We paid for ours at the same place we bought the license. We appiled in August and they gave a paper reciept that we had to keep with the license. The plastic card came in the mail in December. If you don't bring it the next year you have to buy another.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/16/2010 2:48 PM (#417714 - in reply to #417651)

Got mine 2 months ago in the mail. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out what it was! LOL
MUSKYBOY
Posted 1/16/2010 7:05 PM (#417758 - in reply to #417651)

Mine just came in the mail and you should get one if you have been buying Ontario licenses every year. If not you will need it going forward so buy it next time you are fishing in Canada.

Steve

Edited by MUSKYBOY 1/16/2010 7:06 PM
Allstate48
Posted 1/16/2010 9:45 PM (#417784 - in reply to #417651)

Thanks for the info. Doug
esoxlucifer
Posted 1/17/2010 7:17 PM (#417903 - in reply to #417784)

what other provinces, if any, require it?
Two River's
Posted 1/21/2010 10:17 AM (#418541 - in reply to #417651)

It is not just a card you apply for and get in the mail. If that is what these lodges are doing, they are doing it ILLEGALLY. If that is the case, and you get stopped with a bogus card, tyou aswell as that lodge are going to be in deep ..... It is a pleasure Craft Operators Card, you need to take a test and pass to get it. It has nothing to do with a fishing liscence, or outdoors card.

Info Below

What is a Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

This is also sometimes referred to as a Boating License in Canada and all provinces: Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, PEI, BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is a boating competency card. The laws requiring you to get certified are now in effect.

After September 15th, 2009 all Canadian power boat operators will need to write a boater exam in Canada and have to be certified! . To obtain your Card, you will be required to pass a Transport Canada Accredited exam. By passing the boating exam you’ve proven that you’re a competent boater. The exam covers aspects of general boating safety, navigation, marker buoys and emergency preparedness. Once obtained, your Boating License is good for life !

How Do The Rules Apply to Me?
Right now, all boaters in Ontario and all provinces and those that operate small pleasure craft need a card:

•Many anglers operate smaller boats, including those less than 4 metres (13.1 feet) in length. Right now, all operators of powered boats less than 4 metres in length need an Operator Card – no matter what your age or the horsepower of your boat.
•As of September 15th everyone needs their card now – regardless of the size of craft being operated.

You can take the test at BoaterExam.com

Matty
Posted 1/21/2010 11:06 AM (#418551 - in reply to #417651)

Two Rivers is right about he boaters license. Everyone behind the wheel of a boat needs one now....just a nice cash grab up here, IMO
Matty
Posted 1/21/2010 11:12 AM (#418553 - in reply to #418551)

Sorry guys...I spoke too soon. I found this in the FAQ section. However you may want to verify before driving the boat up here:

Q. What if I don’t live in Canada, but boat there?
A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card if they are operating their powered boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or if the boat they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes rented boats). Boater Education Cards or equivalent certifications are recognized in Canada. Proper identification should be kept on board at all times to provide proof of residency.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 1/21/2010 11:33 AM (#418558 - in reply to #417651)

As of September 15th 2009 or 2010 ? ///we were fishing the French River last Sept and never heard anything about it. We just got our Ontario Outdoors card in the mail. Sound like a lot of B. S. to me. Any way we have 5 months to find out. After getting our pass cards last year than getting hit for another $9. for the outdoors card. Now they whant a Pleasure Craft card. Who ever said Musky Fishing was a Pleasure. Marv.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 1/22/2010 12:14 AM (#418782 - in reply to #418558)

MATTY'S post clears it up, I posted my post before I read your last post. This makes perfect sense to me, this will keep some of the U.S Guides from Guiding out of canadian resorts. This will not effect most fishermen and summer clients of resort's in Canada. Thanks for clearing this up. Marv.
kustomboy
Posted 1/22/2010 7:08 AM (#418789 - in reply to #417651)

My understanding is that you don't necessarly need the Pleasure Craft card if you have a similar certification from you State. I believe that if you pass the Minnesota Boat Operator's course that it will satisfy the Pleasure Craft card requirement. The Minnesota test is free by mail or i believe $20.00 online. So if you think you need this and live in Minnesota request the free test this winter and just get it done.
dougj
Posted 1/22/2010 7:40 AM (#418796 - in reply to #418553)

It sort of sounds like if you are using a resort boat that's licensed in Canada you would need to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Operators Card? I wonder if that's right?

Doug Johnson

Will Schultz
Posted 1/22/2010 7:55 AM (#418797 - in reply to #418796)

dougj - 1/22/2010 8:40 AM

It sort of sounds like if you are using a resort boat that's licensed in Canada you would need to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Operators Card? I wonder if that's right?

Doug Johnson

No.

Q. What if I rent a powerboat or PWC?

A. Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Below is a sample copy of a rental safety checklist.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

Edited by Will Schultz 1/22/2010 7:56 AM
Pepper
Posted 1/22/2010 11:06 AM (#418834 - in reply to #417651)

The orginal question was do you need something new to fish in Canada. In Ontario you need an Outdoors card. I had to apply for it the same time I bought my fishing license at Four Seasons Bait in Ear Falls. Had nothing to do with operating a boat in Onatrio. I think there are two differnt topics going on this thread.
Posted 1/22/2010 7:14 PM (#418907 - in reply to #417651)

You need the outdoor card, which you use to "put" your fishing license on and a boat operators card if you run the boat. The boat operator card is confusing but I believe the 45 day rule applys if you are operating your own boat. If you operate a lodge's boat, you need a license. I understand that if you are licensed in your own state, Ontario will accept that. But the rules are very confusing.
Muskie Tom
Posted 1/23/2010 6:12 PM (#419035 - in reply to #417651)

You'll need a Outdoors Card and a Fishing Licence (if fishing for muskie, you need a sportsman, not conservation licence)
Here's link to Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02...
Tom
Muskie Tom
Posted 1/23/2010 6:37 PM (#419043 - in reply to #417651)

And this link should answer questions about Boater Cards
Tom
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/quick/quick_visitor.htm
dougj
Posted 1/23/2010 6:48 PM (#419048 - in reply to #419035)

Tom:

I don't think you need a sportsman license (full license) to fish for muskies unless you want to keep one. I always have folks get the conservation license which allows you to fish for muskies but not keep them, which is what most people would want to do.

Doug Johnson

firstsixfeet
Posted 1/23/2010 7:03 PM (#419055 - in reply to #417651)

Why don't they just add it to the price of a license to start with. Surtax on a user tax it sounds like.
esoxriebe
Posted 1/24/2010 12:38 AM (#419127 - in reply to #417651)

Technically in Canada it is illegal to fish for a species that you don't have a license to posses although it is rarely enforced.
Muskie Tom
Posted 1/24/2010 7:14 AM (#419145 - in reply to #419048)

dougj - 1/23/2010 7:48 PM

Tom:

I don't think you need a sportsman license (full license) to fish for muskies unless you want to keep one. I always have folks get the conservation license which allows you to fish for muskies but not keep them, which is what most people would want to do.

Doug Johnson

[/QUOT

Hi Doug
Actually you do need the Sportsman Licence for licence even if catching/releasing muskie. If you were out muskie fishing (catching/releasing) with a conservation licence, (and your boat was full of muskie tackle) and you get stopped by a CO (Conservation Officer), I guarrantee you will be charged. (and what if the muskie was bad hooked and dies, a dead fish you have to keep)
Alot of anglers are under the impression that if you catch/release certain fish species (muskies) not allowed to catch that is ok. But if caught, a CO will charge you. And fines can be hefty. (and you have a better chance of talking your way out of a speeding ticket from the police than talking to a CO lol)
For the few extra dollars for a Sportsman Licence, why take the chance
(btw I'm not trying to start an argument, just don't want to see someone enjoying fishing in Ontario have their holiday ruined over a misunderstanding of the regulations)
Tom
dougj
Posted 1/24/2010 8:33 AM (#419150 - in reply to #417651)

I've always just had the conservation license when fishing for muskies and have been checked by a CO many times without any problems. On the waters that I fish the legal size limit is 54". I rarely catch a legal fish, so if one dies on me it would still be illegal to keep the fish regardless of what license I have.

My understanding of the conservation license is to promote 100% catch and release of muskies, and reduced harvest of other species.

Doug Johnson

dougj
Posted 1/24/2010 8:41 AM (#419154 - in reply to #417651)

I thought I'd look quick at the OMNR summery and find this.

Conservation Fishing Licence: A reduced catch and possession limit licence that is ideal for anglers who want to live-release the majority of fish caught. Under this licence, anglers must immediately release muskellunge, Atlantic salmon and aurora trout. In this Summary, C - refers to limits under a Conservation Fishing Licence (e.g., C - 2 = catch and possession limit of 2).

Refer to the Zone tables and the exceptions for catch and possession limits

Note that it says that anglers must immediately release muskellunge, it doesn't say that you can't fish for them.

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 1/24/2010 8:43 AM
dougj
Posted 1/24/2010 7:39 PM (#419250 - in reply to #419127)

Again I sort of doubt this. The OMNR regulations says that the limit on smallmouth bass is zero on the LOTWs from June 1st till June 30th. I've been checked by Ontario COs during this period (one even saw me catch a smallie), and as long as I didn't keep the fish I wasn't breaking the law. I'm pretty sure I can fish as long as the season is open, even if the limit is zero, as long as I don't keep any fish.

Doug Johnson

Larry Jones
Posted 1/25/2010 8:57 AM (#419353 - in reply to #417651)

Here on the Niagara River I have always got the Conservation License for myself and clients.I have been stopped many times,usualy almost every time out being a border water.They always ask for the Ontario Fishing License and always remind us we can't keep any with the Conservation License.So yes you can fish for muskies with only the Ontario Conservation License.

Capt. Larry D. Jones
www.mostlymuskies.com