Dumb rod question
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/6/2010 2:57 PM (#415851)
Subject: Dumb rod question

This may seem like a dumb question but hey it's not the first one I've asked.

Do Loomis, St. Croix ect provide the blanks for most private label smaller rod companies? Do they buy blanks from them and then just stick their names on them or are they buying blanks on the open market some place?

Well, thats my dumb question for today.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/6/2010 3:27 PM (#415855 - in reply to #415851)
Subject: Re: Dumb rod question

They're buying their blanks from one of about a dozen composite factories in China. There are a few exceptions, (Predators, custom rods from rodbuilders)
BTW, Loomis stopped building blanks for rodbuilders as of January 1.

Edited by Flambeauski 1/6/2010 3:33 PM
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/6/2010 7:00 PM (#415887 - in reply to #415851)

Just curious but I wonder how St. Croix can get by with saying "Made In the USA"? More than 50% of a product has to be made/manufactured in the USA to carry the "Made in the USA" on the label. With the blank, reel seat and guides not made in the USA (China and Japan) I would think that would be a problem with the label? Not trying to start anything but very curious. I had always assumed they made their own blanks in the USA in a St. Croix facility.

Edited by Tackle Industries 1/6/2010 7:02 PM
bigbite
Posted 1/6/2010 7:31 PM (#415892 - in reply to #415887)

I agree with you James. You would need a content of 50% or more of U.S. content to qualify a Made in U.S.A. designation. On the other hand, if formula they use to qualify that declaration (as with the automotive industry) they could be basing it on the cost method which, if the U.S. content cost amounted to 50% or greater of the product, would then qualify for a Made in U.S.A. designation.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/7/2010 8:07 AM (#415987 - in reply to #415851)

The blanks are made in Park Falls, the cork handles are made there as well with imported cork, and they are assembled in Park Falls as well. The Triumph rods rods are made in Mexico (formerly China) but SC is very clear on that. I suggest you take a look at SC's website and check out the rod builders catalog. http://www.stcroixrods.com/pdfs/STC_2010_Rod_Builder.pdf

Please check facts before making these claims.

Edited by Flambeauski 1/7/2010 8:27 AM
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/7/2010 8:26 AM (#415990 - in reply to #415887)

Tackle Industries - 1/6/2010 8:00 PM

Just curious but I wonder how St. Croix can get by with saying "Made In the USA"? More than 50% of a product has to be made/manufactured in the USA to carry the "Made in the USA" on the label. With the blank, reel seat and guides not made in the USA (China and Japan) I would think that would be a problem with the label? Not trying to start anything but very curious. I had always assumed they made their own blanks in the USA in a St. Croix facility.

my guess is that you are trying to "start something here" since the rods you back are made in china...come on now! do you realize that most who frequent this site are "educated" musky folk?

Edited by STUSHSKY 1/7/2010 8:58 AM
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/7/2010 8:53 AM (#415997 - in reply to #415990)

Flambeauski-You made the "claim" of St Croix blanks comign out of China. I was just replying to it.
"They're buying their blanks from one of about a dozen composite factories in China. There are a few exceptions, (Predators, custom rods from rodbuilders) "

STUSHSKY-No, not trying to start anything. Just made a simple observatioon to a post made by Flambeauski and the rules set forth by the FTC which I follow to the letter unlike a few companies in the tackle world. Looks like St. Croix IS following these rules as I can now see when the "proper" information was given. Good for them. Looks like this discussion has been cleared up. Thanks for posting the right information Flambeauski.

James
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/7/2010 9:17 AM (#416001 - in reply to #415997)

tackle industries...we all want to make a buck, i surely hope you can make your's and we all can make our's, but when proper information is not provided it only looks bad for those who throw it out there in the long run...if "things" are just spelled out for what they are consumers are bright enough to make their own decisions...

Edited by STUSHSKY 1/7/2010 9:28 AM
Flambeauski
Posted 1/7/2010 9:29 AM (#416003 - in reply to #415851)

Misunderstanding. when I said they I meant most private label smaller rod companies.
I apologize.
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/7/2010 9:30 AM (#416004 - in reply to #416001)

STUSHSKY-100% agree with you.

Flambeauski-Thanks for posting the info. I was surprised at first since I thoguht they went out of their way to make most of thier rods in the USA and I know they are a stand up comany with probably the best rods on the market today.

Have a good week.
James

Edited by Tackle Industries 1/7/2010 9:33 AM