Ice Fish'n Tip-Ups
k2muskie
Posted 1/6/2010 11:39 AM (#415814)
Subject: Ice Fish'n Tip-Ups

I'd really like to look into get'n a tip-up and try for some TMs out here in Utah but I know absoultely nothing about them.

So here's a few questions some may consider stupid but hey the question not asked is 'really' the stupid question.

1) Do the tip-ups have a drag type of setting?
2) Do the tip-ups have some type of handle to wind in if one does get lucky?
3) What type of ice fish'n super braid line is the best on tip-ups?
4) If you were to recommend a tip-up for me which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks in Advance,
K2
sworrall
Posted 1/6/2010 11:45 AM (#415816 - in reply to #415814)
Subject: Re: Ice Fish'n Tip-Ups

http://icefishingfirst.com

http://icefishing.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?ti...
curleytail
Posted 1/6/2010 1:14 PM (#415829 - in reply to #415814)
Subject: RE: Ice Fish'n Tip-Ups

Most Tipups don't really have a drag on them. You can usually set them for a different "release" tension, which is just how hard of a pull it takes for the flag to go up, signalling a bite.

After that, the spool is in free spool, allowing a fish to take line with no resistance.

Tipups may have a little handle on the spool, but it isn't for reeling fish in - it's for spooling the line back on the spool after a fish runs it off. The way the scenario would go is this: You would see a flag go up, and then run to the tipup. Pull the tipup out of the water so you can grab the line, and when you think the time is right, set the hook with your hand/wrist (doesn't take much, just a quick snap). Then hand-over-hand the fish up to the hole. Oh yeah, at some point, either just before or just after setting the hook, set the tipup down on the ice.

For the most part, I use HT Polar Tipups. The are pretty inexpensive, have a good freespool even in very cold weather, are pretty lightweight, strong, dependable, pack easily enough into a 5 gallon bucket, and they just plain work.
Here's a link to them: http://www.thornebros.com/winter/tipups/ht_tackle_polar.html

If you want really nice tipups, look into the Beaver Dam tipups. They have a wood base, and a nice. I have one, but it doesn't catch any more fish than the HT Polars do, and at $30+ compared to about $12, I stick to the Polars.

I don't get too fany with line. DON'T get the plastic coated stuff. It will get coily and stiff in cold weather. I get the cheapest dacron type line I can find. Just a regular black, dacron type will do, I like something at least 30 pounds or so just because it's easier to handle. Just search tipup line somewhere and you'll find it.
I just recently heard of some guys using fly line, which is a neat idea too, but is going to cost a lot more than the plain old dacron stuff. Tie whatever leader you might want to use to it (probably with a quickstrike rig), put a couple sinkers on the line, and you should be set. I think most tipups come with instructions on how to set them for heavier or lighter "sets."

Hopefully that covered your questions!

curleytail