Tackle Industries Mag Shads
curleytail
Posted 1/5/2010 10:08 PM (#415744)
Subject: Tackle Industries Mag Shads

A couple guys were giving Jame's Mag Shads thumbs up reviews in the equipment review thread on here.

I was just wondering how many of you had a chance to try these and what you thought of them/what you used them for. I think I would buy these MAINLY with trolling in mind, but did any of you cast them much? I see they come with 2 treble hooks vs the 3 that most baits this size would have. Did anybody have any hooking issues (I'm going to guess the two hooks was plenty)?

Just looking for any comments or reviews on the baits. Like all of Jame's baits, they appear to be priced very well for what they are.

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 1/5/2010 10:09 PM
AWH
Posted 1/5/2010 10:31 PM (#415748 - in reply to #415744)
Subject: Re: Tackle Industries Mag Shads

I used both the deep diver and the twitcher, but I didn't get a chance to use either one very long. So more time on the water is needed for me. I did like what I saw in both of them in my limited time with them. The deep diver really digs. So you'll be able to get that one down pretty good without a lot of line out. Tracks true as fast as I went, which was maybe up to 7 mph or so. It would work well as a casting bait as well. But it's true calling is definitely as a trolling bait.

I trolled and casted the Twitcher and was surprised how well it trolled. It doesn't dive very deep. But I was expecting it to blow out when trolling with that lip design, which didn't happen. What it will do is kick out just a bit to the side on occasion, which is a postive triggering aspect of the bait. It looked good as a twitcher when casting it too. One thing I noticed is that you don't want to rip it too hard or you'll have it catch itself on the leader.

They've got a deep rattle to them and are very bouyant on the pause. So depending on how you feel about rattles or bouyancy, that could be a positive or negative. You can always tinker to change those things though.

I took the Mag Shad out of my box to show my brother without having told him anything about it. I just asked him to guess how much it sells for. He gave it a quick look and said $30. I asked him, "$30"? So he grabbed it from me and took a closer inspection and his next guess was $40. When I told him they're less than $15, he didn't believe me! Morale of the story...a great value for what you get. I hope to get more chances to beat these things up in 2010.

Aaron
sworrall
Posted 1/5/2010 10:42 PM (#415749 - in reply to #415744)

I casted both in Vermilion for an entire day. The fish were not going, but I really liked what I saw. I think the lures will produce for me well next season.
Targa01
Posted 1/5/2010 10:54 PM (#415752 - in reply to #415744)

I'll go more into my use with the Mag Shads than before. I only have the deep models (2 of them) and casted them maybe a couple of times but like Aaron I feel these things true calling is trolling.

I put about 3-4 hours on one lure and 2 hours on the other trolling Vermilion one afternoon early October. Unfortunately no fish but trolling just didn't seem to be producing quite yet. Nothing else produced either. Anyways, what I like about them at first is their size and profile but I really became a fan once I trolled them. At slow speeds they have a nice wide enticing wobble and as the speed increases it the action tightens up some but not much. They really shake and pump the rods in the rod holders. I like this change in action at different speeds so when I'm doing 'S' turns and running around points the lure is not only changing speeds but giving any following fish something different to look at.

It took only 35' of line to start touching bottom at 10' of water so they dive fast and I've had them touch bottom in 24' of water so they get down there. I really think this deep running angle on the lure helps it skip over rocks with this style lip design which I was worried about. A number of times I had these contacting bottom at 12-13' and trolled them over a 5-6' deep points letting them just bounce along and they came out clean on the other side. Only a couple of times did I get hung up but was able to free spool and have them back out without stopping.

I really put the lip to the test this past fall and both lures really shined. The paint held up great also. Normally it doesn't take long trolling lures over rocks to destroy a paint job. They stayed in tune the whole time which was nice also.

As for the two hooks I can't say for sure but I think it should be fine. If you watch the underwater video the hooks don't run close to the lure (more exposed) which I think helps with hook ups. Well worth the money and you get a big bait.

Edited by Targa01 1/5/2010 11:07 PM
FYGR8
Posted 1/6/2010 5:18 AM (#415764 - in reply to #415744)
Subject: RE: Tackle Industries Mag Shads

I have posted a different clip then the one available on Youtube. It is in the video section.

Edited by FYGR8 1/6/2010 9:06 AM
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/6/2010 8:49 AM (#415787 - in reply to #415744)

video on youtube....mag shad deep diiver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNzIlKhprY
sansdessindeforum
Posted 1/6/2010 11:37 AM (#415813 - in reply to #415744)

look like that thing will caught some giants
muskie24/7
Posted 1/6/2010 9:08 PM (#415918 - in reply to #415813)

I used the Twitcher a few times and really liked what I saw! I didn't catch anything but I can sure see this lure having the potential to get bit!

Brian