Ideas for four day WI camping/fishing trip
Rogiecrockett
Posted 12/31/2009 5:07 PM (#414821)
Subject: Ideas for four day WI camping/fishing trip

I have some additional vacation days in 2010 that I am debating on how to use.

We will be at Lake Namakagon the last week of June. I am looking to plan another trip elsewhere. The trip will be four days, for my son and I. Take the boat and throw a tent out somewhere. Needs to be in WI.

Not looking for big fish just looking for action. My times will be either early June or late July/early August.

What are suggestions for either of these two times?

Thanks,
Dave.

Edited by Rogiecrockett 1/3/2010 4:37 PM
Cowboyhannah
Posted 12/31/2009 6:27 PM (#414832 - in reply to #414821)
Subject: Re: Ideas for four day WI camping/fishing trip

Lynn Anns is a clean campground http://www.lynnannscampground.com/ on big st. Germain in vilas co. They have a store on site with snacks, beer, camping essentials, etc...Heather and Mike run the place and are great folks. They have a protected cove to dock your rig. If you have a camper they offer full hook-ups with sewer, cable TV, and WIFI. Big St. is classified as A1, but fishes more like an A2, especially earlier (June) or later (mid-late August) in the season. Your June trip would be better here unless you're into night fishing. Plus there are 100 other musky lakes within one hour's drive.

Best Luck,

Edited by Cowboyhannah 12/31/2009 9:16 PM
ToddM
Posted 1/1/2010 4:30 PM (#415050 - in reply to #414821)
Subject: RE: Ideas for four day WI camping/fishing trip

There are tons of places to camp. Lost and and Teal lakes are good and I know lost land has resorts with camping. Another thing to do is to google the chamber of commerce areas. All have websites with resorts and camping info.
Matt DeVos
Posted 1/1/2010 5:13 PM (#415052 - in reply to #414821)

There really are a lot of good options, if you're just looking for a basic campground on good action-lakes. In the Sawyer/Ashland County area, you can choose from Federal campground on Moose Lake, Lake of the Pines, Conners Lake, Black Lake, Day lake, and Mineral Lake. All of those campgrounds are nice, and each of those lakes will offer excellent muskie fishing for fish in the 30-40" range.

In the Vilas County area, you can choose from state campgrounds on Big Lake, Upper Gresham, Trout Lake, Big Muskellunge, Star Lake, Plum Lake, and there are few others. Again, all very nice campgrounds. Although if you are really just looking for an action-oriented fishery you'd be best served by choosing amongst the campgrounds in Sawyer/Ashland. Those Vilas Co. lakes can be pretty tough mid-summer, and in general they are low-density fisheries.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about any of those lakes or campgrounds, as I've stayed at most of them.

ttrap
Posted 1/1/2010 10:00 PM (#415087 - in reply to #414821)

I thought I heard they started draining day lake this year due to small fish. Heard they were going to start the lake over???
John at Ross's
Posted 1/2/2010 6:17 AM (#415108 - in reply to #415087)

Price Co. has some really nice county owned campgrounds on Solberg Lake and the Flambeau River, and are close to other good bodies of water.

Edited by John at Ross's 1/2/2010 6:19 AM
Matt DeVos
Posted 1/4/2010 3:39 PM (#415505 - in reply to #414821)

ttrap, not sure whether they actually went through with the drawdown on Day Lake or not. I know that was the plan, but for some reason I seem to recall that maybe they weren't able to do it this year? Anyone know for sure?

From what I read about it, I thought it sounded like potentially a good way to improve that fishery. Day Lake is loaded with fish in the 26-32" range. Not many bigger than that. Beautiful body of water, though.

strawberry
Posted 1/4/2010 4:05 PM (#415512 - in reply to #414821)

Some very nice state campgrounds to choose from. However, be aware that there is/was plans to shut down several state campgrounds, so just check to see which ones will be open when you decide to go. I was very dissapointed to hear that the campground I spend a long weekend at each year(one of the smallest, nicest, prettiest) will be on the list according to the park ranger we talked to. Hopefully some of this isn't true, and we can keep our campgrounds open for business.
Matt DeVos
Posted 1/4/2010 4:46 PM (#415524 - in reply to #414821)

Strawberry: Could you share which one? Feel free to pm me...(I'm worried about which one you are talking about....)
ttrap
Posted 1/4/2010 4:51 PM (#415527 - in reply to #414821)

Matt, I wasn't sure either I was by that way last year around the end of sept and I thought it looked lower than normal...that said it was a fun lake we got 9 there one day all small though. So I think if the drain day it will help
Kirk
Posted 1/4/2010 6:55 PM (#415546 - in reply to #414821)

Early June try the Lussier campgrond in Madison. It is about a 1/4 mile from the waubesa luanch and within 10 miles of both Wingra and Monona. Not very remote or picturesque, but close to eveything you would need.
sworrall
Posted 1/4/2010 11:12 PM (#415586 - in reply to #414821)

Lake George Campground. Access to the water, close to dozens of good muskie lakes, excellent fishing and Venison dinner at Worrall's Hideout.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/5/2010 9:12 AM (#415623 - in reply to #414821)

I'd get an island on the Turtle Flambeau Flowage. Remote and scenic. Fishin ain't bad either.
strawberry
Posted 1/5/2010 10:09 AM (#415633 - in reply to #414821)

matt, The campground we stay at in June is Sandy Beach Lake campground. Just a sweet little spot. Some muskies in that lake, but not one we target for anything other than a few panners for shore lunch in between lake hops. The guy that runs the campground had a short list of potential shutdowns but all can change, and hopefully it did. I know that it is difficult to get a site at times up in Vilas, so possibly they can at least keep them open for the busiest of busy weeks/weekends etc. Good luck.
Medford Fisher
Posted 1/5/2010 12:02 PM (#415644 - in reply to #414821)

Dave, if you're interested in any of the state-owned campgrounds in Vilas that Matt mentioned, feel free to contact me. I worked at the Crystal Lake Campground Station and we were responsible for all of the lakes he mentioned and several others. There are also boat in sites on some lakes that are right on the lake for you and free to stay at. There's many good lakes in the area of all these campgrounds and you can hit ultra clear, heavily stained waters and everything in between all iwthin a 10-15 minute drive or less. If it's action you're looking for, send me a PM and I'll mention a few lakes that don't have campgrounds directly on it but are very close to some of the above ones.
-Jake Bucki

P.S. Only the main campgrounds (Big Muskellunge, Firefly, and Crystal are the ones that are usually full). More often than not, there's plenty of sites in the outlying campgrounds.

-Jake Bucki
magnum
Posted 2/4/2010 9:41 PM (#421794 - in reply to #414821)

Big arbor vitae camp grounds are good for camping and great fishing for muskys also. I catch alot of fish on Big arbor vitae. I stay there and the owners are real nice and new shwers and bathrooms. There are other good lakes around the area also. If you go up to that area I will tell you what is happening in the area.
welldriller
Posted 2/5/2010 2:19 PM (#421902 - in reply to #414821)

Hey matt. I might come stay over there this summer. Ask your brother-in-law and father-in-law about the 43" we caught when our boats were tied together. I have a great picture of it. I'll have to show it to you at the spring classic.
muskypup
Posted 2/9/2010 10:03 AM (#422608 - in reply to #414821)

Lake Chippewa Flowage : Buddies and I wend last year in third week of July.
One camp site per island and the fishing was great. Frogs on lilly pads was the key for us. Earily morning and then after 4Pm.
If peice and quite is what you want then you can't go wrong with this choice, however you will need a good GPS map or you will do damage.
magnum
Posted 2/10/2010 4:53 PM (#422934 - in reply to #414821)

Welldriller I heard about it and would like to see the picture. sounded like a nice fat fish. Come stay over on big arbor vitae. If I amnot guiding we can get out a fish sometime.
brandonschorle
Posted 2/11/2010 12:17 AM (#422991 - in reply to #414821)

Where is Day Lake?
mrmatt
Posted 2/11/2010 6:32 AM (#422995 - in reply to #414821)

Near the town of clam lake, wi