Rain Gear Woes...
esoxaddict
Posted 12/11/2009 12:12 AM (#412181)
Subject: Rain Gear Woes...

Started out with a Big-Box-Retailer set of lightweight nylon pants and jacket. Not the cheapo stuff, a decent set, $139 I think... Layered underneath it in the fall, got cold, Wore it on a 50 degree day, 35MPH across the lake in a down pour, got wet, got cold. Had a few times where I bent over and the water from my jacket ran down into the back of my shorts.

I still use it on warm days, carry it as a spare in case someone doesn't have rain gear. It keeps you pretty dry as long as its raining straight down, you don't sit down, and you don't move around a lot.

Bought a different big box retailers Guide Series stuff, the canvas looking bibs and jacket. Bibs are the way to go. Noticed right away that kneeling in water got your knees wet after a while, sitting on wet boat seats eventually got your butt wet. Enough polypro and fleece underneath, and you could stay warm, and pretty dry. I think this set cost me around $200. But in order to keep warm when it was below freezing? The amount of layers made it difficult to move. It was mostly waterproof though.

I still use it in moderate weather, when getting a little wet is not a big deal.

So I broke down and bought that bix box retailers high end stuff, the Tech20 insulated parka with two waterproof coats that zip together, and insulated bibs to match. I think it was over to $300 for the bibs and parka. I wore it for a fall and once in the spring, and kept plenty warm. I even wore the coat to work, walking 2 miles downtown a few times when it was a high of two for the day. Awesome stuff, warmest clothing I have had in 40 years of Chicago and Wisconsin winters. Then I wore it for the Hayward Tournament this fall.. 3 days straight of rain, wind, and temps ranging from 36 - 45. Warm? Oh yeah. Too warm at times. When it got to 45 I couldn't wait for the temperature to drop. As for keeping me DRY??

Waterproof my behind!! The stuff soaks up water like a SPONGE. At the end of day 1 My pants were wet up to my knees, and even my socks were wet (GoreTex boots keep water out when you stand in it but not when it runs down your leg) Arms wet up to the elbows by the end of day two. We stopped at the bar to eat lunch. There was a puddle on the floor that had to be five feet across from where I hung up my "waterproof" parka, and another one under my chair from my "waterproof" bibs

By day three, even turning them inside out, shoving towels and newspaper in the sleeves, etc. to dry the stuff overnight? Soaked all the way through. Wet arms, wet belly, wet legs, wet butt... On top of that the stuff had started to mildew, and now smells like a homeless person slept in it. I wore this stuff MAYBE 10 times, and two days in the rain leaves TWO layers of "waterproof" fabric, and the liner underneath soaked through? Yeah, I got soaked more ways than one.

I get that water is going to run up your sleeves when you cast, or down your neck if you're going 50 in the rain, but this wasn't that. I had to bring the stuff home in a garbage bag so it didn't soak the carpeting in my buddies truck. Oh, but the hood on the parka has a zipper so you can take it off. What the hell good is THAT? Water comes in through the zipper! The hood is supposed to help keep you DRY, not help get you wet!! What idiot thought of THAT?

So I know that we've had this discussion before, but is there ANY rain gear out there that actually IS waterproof, where you can sit on a wet boat seat, kneel on wet boat carpeting, move from spot to spot in the rain, fish in a downpour, and not have to wring today's rain out your shorts at the end of the day? And something that actually keeps you warm enough so you don't have to bundle up like the stay-puff marshmallw man underneath? I didn't freeze because I was moving around casting. I can't imagine being that wet and sitting in a tree stand all day.

TWalk
Posted 12/11/2009 12:31 AM (#412184 - in reply to #412181)
Subject: RE: Rain Gear Woes...

Do yourself a favor and buy Cabelas Guide series bib and jacket. They sell both insulated and uninsulated. I went with the uninsulated so I could wear it in the summer without getting too warm...its gor-tex and breathable so I have not had a problem 'overheating.' I was kind of inbetween sizes so I went with the larger size so I could layer underneath. I wear it all fall and also use it for ice fishing.
I had the gander tech20 gear for a month or so, and I experienced the same thing as you. The tech20 gear gets to the point where it gets super-saturated and will eventually soak through to your base layer....and it takes foerever to dry. I got rid of it right away and went with the cabelas guide wear and it is the best gear I have ever worn. And its cabelas gear...so if it ever leaks you bring it back and they will give you a new set. Its expensive....but it is the last set you will EVER need.
esoxfly
Posted 12/11/2009 12:56 AM (#412186 - in reply to #412181)
Subject: Re: Rain Gear Woes...

I've never gotten wet. I have more than $1,000 in rain gear, and it's #*^@ worth it. I've got a light weight set and a heavy weight set. The light weight set is a Simms G3 jacket and Loop pants. The heavyweight is BPS 100 MPH bibs and parka. There is no "one set" of gear. Everything is a compromise. My light gear is closer fitting, ligher weight, shorter and not sized for layering. The heavyweight is hot as hell if it's above 45*, but it's got enough room and coverage that I've had it on down to 15* and been comfy.

Get GoreTex, and get the good GTX. All GTX is not created equal. There are different levels of it. XCR being the best. An XCR Jacket is $400-$600, but it is as good as it gets. My Simms Jacket is XCR. It's unbelievable. My 100 MPH set is not XCR, but it's done very very well for me. I'm quite happy with it, and I've fished in some pretty bad stuff with it and been absolutely bone dry in it.

Make sure you care for your GTX. You must keep it clean and maintained. Dirty GTX won't work. Water will get in, and vapor won't get out. You must keep it clean and laundered. There's deals to be had, but don't skimp. Get the full GTX suits, taped seams, waterproof zippers and so on.

I really see rain gear as "you get what you pay for" and for me, a good GTX suit is likely going to start at $400-$500. It's held true for me, and it's payed for itself when I can fish comfortably and not give it a second thought.
bobbie
Posted 12/11/2009 4:06 AM (#412189 - in reply to #412181)

KLIM gear is dry I have tried all kinds but klim works. It is worth every penny
Fish and Whistle
Posted 12/11/2009 12:26 PM (#412244 - in reply to #412181)

HellyHansen is good gear. I've posted thise site several times before, but here it is again

Seirratradingpost.com

They have good clearance and bargain bin pricing. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get good gear. I'm going into my 4th season with my HellyHansen bibs and jacket and you can hit me with a five gallon bucket of water and I'll stay dry as a bone. I got then on clearnace for approx. $150 total (approx. 70% off list price)

The one thing you should never do with any gortex / waterproof material is wash them with any kind of fabric softener or detergent that has this stuff in it. It will strip the sealant right out of the fabric. I just never wash mine. I'm always dry, but you may not want to fish downwind of me
esoxfly
Posted 12/11/2009 12:33 PM (#412245 - in reply to #412181)

Wash your GTX bro-

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4
gtp888
Posted 12/11/2009 1:04 PM (#412251 - in reply to #412181)

I've said it before on this site and I'll repeat what you said about Tech H20 soaking up water like a sponge. That's exactly what it does! They might as well use terrycloth for the waterproof barrier. Decided to get a cheap pair of gloves for shoveling/blowing snow last year. They had the Tech H20 "barrier." I figured what the heck? They're cheap and I'm only gonna be using them for shoveling, etc. The blizzared we had a couple days ago SOAKED these gloves in about 10 minutes! This isn't a knock on Gander or their products. I just think this Tech H20 stuff is terrible! I've been soaked in it twice not including the gloves. Never will use it again.

Gore-tex is the way to go period IMO.

Schuler
Posted 12/11/2009 1:05 PM (#412253 - in reply to #412181)

Gore-Tex is guaranteed for life to be waterproof as long as it is not punctured. There is a reason it costs so much.
Pal
Posted 12/11/2009 1:06 PM (#412254 - in reply to #412245)

Cabela's Guide wear has been great for me and is curently on sale for pretty much anything in its entire line the last time I looked.

Pal
Muskie Tom
Posted 12/11/2009 2:23 PM (#412265 - in reply to #412254)

I've got BPS 100 MPH suit...no complaints
For all the money I've spent on cheaper (and cheap) suits , I could of had a 100MPH to begin with, and be done with it
Never tried Cabelas Guidewear, but heard it's good too.
Tom
bn
Posted 12/11/2009 2:35 PM (#412267 - in reply to #412181)

I have a few different sets for whatever temp it is....
Cabelas Insulated guidewear bibs and parka..rock solid..the parka is super warm so that it is only really used in Nov or ice fishing.
Bibs are awesome...never been wet yet..
I have the Gander Guide wear Bibs and jacket, non insulated. Great stuff too...
both the sets above were spendy
in the warm months I don't care too much about getting a little wet if it's 70+ degrees out...not even sure what I have, think it's some Gander stuff...it works...keeps my mostly dry but again, when its warm out I could care less if I get a little wet..
If you ever get some Cabelas stuff that isn't maintaining it's waterproofing send it back..as noted there are things you can wash them in to also make sure they stay waterproof..I got some stuff at REI that I wash it with ...NikWak makes some good products.
Beaver
Posted 12/11/2009 2:43 PM (#412268 - in reply to #412267)

I buy all of my stuff from www.sierratradingpost.com
I started buying waterproof gear from their snowboarding and skiing lines, You can get it in different weights, insulated or not, and it's all Goretex. I bought a couple of outfits made by Marker for less than any raingear that I've seen as touted for outdoorsmen.
psv
Posted 12/11/2009 2:53 PM (#412269 - in reply to #412181)

Another vote for Cabelas Guidewear.
twells
Posted 12/11/2009 3:49 PM (#412276 - in reply to #412181)

Good rain gear is worth every penny. We fished the same tournament and had 4 people with 3 different kinds of rain suits. It didn't matter. After Friday we were all at the Laundry mat drying our rain gear. That weekend it was just flat out wet for the tournament this year. I have the Tech20 that I use for hunting and been very impressed with it in the snow but not had it out on down pouring rain like it was. What 2 of us used was Guide Series non insulated and we were wet also. My dad was dryer then I was as his is new this year and mine is about 6-7 years old and washer a bunch of times. Good Gortex brand was in the dryer also along with a less expensive pair. If you want something very warm and dry I would suggest Ice Amour suits. I got my wife a set last year for Christmas for her to wear ice fishing. She will outlast many people being warm and dry in it. The stuff is great. I agree with you get what you pay for with Rain gear though. My next set will be worth every penny to me.
On a side note we prefer the garbage weather for that tournament as it keep the fair weather fisherman off the water. Fished it 4 years now and poured out for 2 of them. My suggestion is get the best that you can afford your inner core temps will thank you for it. Your fishing partner may not if he has something that doesn't work.
VMS
Posted 12/11/2009 4:46 PM (#412287 - in reply to #412181)

Hi everyone,

For all of you who have gotten wet, all you need to do is go to the local walmart or camping store and pick up some camping sealer. Reseal the outfit so the water beads like it did when it was new, and you are all set to go!!

Simple as that.

Steve
muskydeceiver
Posted 12/11/2009 5:19 PM (#412296 - in reply to #412181)

Buy bibs....not pants. Not sure why they even make rain gear in pants, water always gets in between.
bridgeman
Posted 12/11/2009 6:06 PM (#412306 - in reply to #412181)

Another vote for guidewear. I have 2 sets and never had a problem with either.
Top H2O
Posted 12/11/2009 7:26 PM (#412324 - in reply to #412181)

VMS is right on,........ That stuff works really good...... Best summer rain gear, and cheep is Frogg Toggs..... $50.00 and your pretty much dry for the day.

Fished the PMTT ,Detriot River and it Rained like Hell.... Every one I talked to was wet, including the bigger names in muskie fishing.
I like it when these guys suffer like us "little people".

Jerome
Cowboyhannah
Posted 12/11/2009 10:59 PM (#412370 - in reply to #412181)

Those one suits with the amphibian in the name are great, unless you look at it wrong, then it rips.
esoxfly
Posted 12/11/2009 11:26 PM (#412375 - in reply to #412181)

HA! I keep Frogg Toggs stuffed in a compartment for the rare occasion I have a guest in the boat (usually my Dad) who didn't bring rain gear, but I can't bring myself to wear it. Just a Tyvek suit.

Edited by esoxfly 12/11/2009 11:29 PM
archerynut36
Posted 12/12/2009 11:15 AM (#412392 - in reply to #412181)

well i guess i am a lucky one then. i have a tech 20 suit that i have had for about 5 or so years and i have never gotten wet in it. and i dont wash it and i have heard of people spraying the spray stuff to keep them as good as new. but i have not had to ever do that(might have to now that i said something)lol anyway i remember reading a article from patricia strutts about this stuff that is sopossed to be the best at making anything water proof, but i dont remember the name...bill
jerryb
Posted 12/12/2009 11:56 AM (#412395 - in reply to #412181)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod...
etcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=carhartt%20rain%20gear&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod...
knooter
Posted 12/13/2009 9:22 AM (#412479 - in reply to #412181)

Be careful assuming that Cabela's will exchange their lifetime guaranteed raingear for free forever. I just tried this summer to exchange a set of $200 Cabela's Dry Plus raingear, which was said to be "Just as good as Gore-Tex!" by the guy in that department. The returns clerk said she could give me $20 credit for the jacket, and $20 for the pants. Her manager told me he could give me $30 each. Apparently the camo pattern I bought had been discontinued and was clearanced out about two years ago, and sold for 89.99 on clearance. Cabela's now pro-rates their lifetime guaranteed items based on the lowest price they ever sold for (When you don't have a receipt). I was lectured about how all raingear need to be washed and re-treated fairly often. I was told that even Gore-Tex is only waterproof if cared for properly. I thought that seemed odd, because my Gore-Tex boots are more than ten years old and have never been washed, yet somehow they have remained waterproof. Anyway, I decided to keep the darn things for spares and bought a good pair of Gore-Tex gear. Gave them a good run this summer in Canada, and they did not disappoint.

I've learned after buying about five different sets, costing a total of $550, that raingear is no place to skimp. Buy the expensive stuff! And keep your receipt, just in case.
VMS
Posted 12/13/2009 10:04 AM (#412484 - in reply to #412181)

Hi everyone,

I do have to admit, I find it quite amusing, yet somewhat frustrating to listen (or read in this case) that people expect any gore-tex or related garment to be 100% waterproof for it's entire lifetime and get mad when the product no longer is repelling water. So...I did a quick search and came up with this...and guess what everyone...it came DIRECTLY from the Gore-Tex website. Below is the copied and pasted section about caring for your gore-tex product.

From the gore-tex site:

How can I restore my garment's water repellency?

You can totally restore a GORE™ product's durable water repellency (DWR) by using a topical DWR treatment product for outdoor fabrics, available at outdoor retail stores. (Note: We do not recommend wash-in treatments.) These special treatments help maintain and restore the DWR on the outer shell fabric of the product so that it remains water and stain repellent. Anyone can properly maintain the DWR on a GORE™ product.

When water no longer beads on your garment's outer fabric, simply apply a topical DWR treatment product according to its directions.

So...this is where my comment above comes from....

Buy the one set, then care for it as you are supposed to and it will last a lifetime. I have Cabela's signature series which is not Gore-tex brand, but just like it. I treat it the same way, and my set is going on 10 years and still going strong because I re-treat the garment every year. Beads like water on a newly waxed hood of a car.

Don't believe yet? Here is the link: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/customer-service/f...

Save your money if you've already purchased a set. Go get two cans of Camp Dry for about $12 total or so and your rain gear will be back in business!! Much more inexpensive to do this than to go buy a new set every 3 years or so if you don't care for your raingear.

Steve
fish4musky1
Posted 12/15/2009 12:37 AM (#412826 - in reply to #412181)

i have the gander mountain gore tex. it has been good, just make sure to wash it every couple years with some of the stuff that keeps it water proff
Schlagel
Posted 12/15/2009 11:04 AM (#412872 - in reply to #412181)

I'll go along with Esoxfly and throw in my two cents for Simms. I have a Simms Guide Jacket that I've had for 5-6 years and it has been perfectly bone dry, with the execption of hook damage to one sleeve this year. I wear that jacket, for at least part of the day, way over 100 days a year. I won't offer a better approximation, because someone will invariably jump in to dispute my estimate. Of course it's not raining every time I wear the jacket; on a lot days it's worn for awhile in the morning and then after dark. Bottom line, I'm on the water almost every day of the MN season and I have that jacket on a lot. My jacket has a zillion hours on it and it's performed perfectly. I'll also add that the perfect performance has come without the hassle of sprays or coatings.

The Simms Guide Jacket is fairly light weight, which makes it a perfect jacket for summer. Mine fits big enough to hold another couple layers, but not big enough for the layers and layers I have on at the end of the season. The lighter weight of this jacket and the way it fits makes it the perfect jacket until about the middle of October. The leaks I got in the sleeve this year from hook punctures were easily fixed with a dab of AquaSeal. The Simms website has a bunch of helpful videos for repair, care, cleaning, etc. of all their products.

I have a huge Cabelas Guidewear coat that I use at the end of the season when I'm wearing a lot of clothes. This jacket only gets used at the end of the season and hasn't seen any all-day, soaking rains, but I can tell it isn't as dry as my Simms. There aren't any leaks I know of, but it doesn't do as well at keeping the front of my neck dry.

I have Cabelas Guidewear bibs that have been OK. Water seems to slowly creep in if I'm sitting for a long time. Pressure might be a problem with Gore-Tex. From my experience and the comments of others on this thread, sitting and kneeling can be a problem. Overall, though, I've been satisfied with the Guidewear bibs. They're the best bibs I've had so far. Before that I had Hodgeman, Columbia, and Helly Hansen, and they all sucked. If Simms ever made bibs, I'd be the first in line to buy them.

Like many who've posted here (EsoxAddict, MuskieTom, Knooter, others), I started out with several sets of cheap raingear and got wet. In hindsight, I wish I would have bit the bullet and shelled out the money for good raingear a long time ago. I know it's tough to spend big bucks on raingear, though. Musky fishing is expensive. There are always things to spend money on that are more fun than raingear. Rods, reels, and lures are the fun things to buy - raingear isn't.

Raingear is often the most disregarded piece of gear most musky fishermen have - a fact that becomes obvious in an all-day soaker.