Left-handed trolling reel
hawkeye9
Posted 11/19/2009 10:37 AM (#409219)
Subject: Left-handed trolling reel

Wondering what lefties do for a trolling reel w/ line counter? Surely someone makes them...just begun doing some looking around, at this point I've found nada. Don't want to use my nice casting equipment for trolling.
boost
Posted 11/19/2009 11:27 AM (#409226 - in reply to #409219)
Subject: Re: Left-handed trolling reel

okuma makes the convector in a lefty (20dlx & 30dlx) size. my question to you before i'd recommend one is what types of lures would you be trolling?

i've used both. one 30 is giving up the ghost after 2 seasons now. another 30 is still working. the 20 i use for non-muskie applications. these reels are used by the great lakes salmon crew but i don't think the y can handle the abuse of muskie fishn long term unless all you are doing is pulling super shad raps, depthraiders, jakes and other light pulling baits. if you plan on pulling large, deep divers and making lots of contact with structure, i'd say look elsewhere.

going forward, i think i will stick to non-lc like the abu 7001 (much more solid reel) and just count pulls or wraps to achieve the same result. we rarely troll with more than 50-60' line out and typically much less anyway.

Edited by boost 11/19/2009 11:43 AM
hawkeye9
Posted 11/19/2009 12:12 PM (#409233 - in reply to #409226)

Helpful advice...I'm looking to troll muskie baits of verying sizes...you know whatever it takes according to conditions...so at times I'll definetely have the big stuff out...live near a southern reservior and have been bit by the top predator bug...just my second year so I'm learning...as a bass guy I can't help but want to cast all the time...so my endeavors thus far have been all casting...just put folbe holders on the boat and plan to fish all winter long until the hot bite of spring begins...

...just came to the site yesterday and I tell ya I'm pretty excited...looking to add baits...so I'm keeping my eye on the trade forum...and soaking up as much info as possible... thanx
dougj
Posted 11/19/2009 12:30 PM (#409238 - in reply to #409226)

I've been using convectors for about five years and by and large I've had good luck with them. I'm generally pulling 10" Jakes, but do use the larger stuff at times.

I do a lot of banging on the bottom and we do have an occasional snag and the reels have held up well. We've also caught a good number of large muskies.

Doug Johnson
boost
Posted 11/19/2009 12:49 PM (#409242 - in reply to #409238)

there ya go, if they're good enough for Doug, i'd say they'll suit the bill for you.

in their defense, the type of trolling we do is harder on gear than most - wire line, into december (cold & snow wreaks havoc on gear) on shield water in canada. When compared to my regular fishn partner's Daiwa Sealines (right hand only) - which seem to be bulletproof - they fall short.

Edited by boost 11/19/2009 12:52 PM
JBush
Posted 11/20/2009 2:41 PM (#409366 - in reply to #409242)

Counters are not really necessary once you get to know the depth curves for the handful of baits you carry and/or if you plan on staying high in the water and/or trolling shallow. But if you're trying to learn what baits you can put where and with what amount of line out over deep structure, they are very handy. Also, they keep a running tab on where you are at all times. Drive over a high spot, crank up a bit, then drop back to reset once it gets deeper. You lose this resetting accuracy by counting levelwind passes on the way out only, because to fully reset you gotta come all the way back in. Like boost said, the overwhelming majority of the time we fish with less than 50' of line out. Lots of the spots we try to scratch this time of year are 20-30' down, and Plows, Hookers and stuff get there with 50-70 feet of line or wire out easily. Short lining in shallower water we will use less than 20' a lot, and all you have to do is rip out a couple two foot pulls. From the reel to just past the first guide on most rods is around 24 inches. Many of the custom, wood baits we run shake the hell out of reels, especially on wire. Constantly check the nuts and bolts on the reel and the rod holders. If a reel is going to fail, it will do it on the coldest, roughest and nastiest day of the year, I can almost guarantee you. Simple, mechanical models like 7000's, SeaLines and Penns are proven. I can only go on what I've experienced first hand, and my SeaLines have been excellent, spooled with heavy braid and monel wire. Late fall with large, heavy pounding baits is a totally different type of stress for you tackle. If there's a kink, you'll find it fast.