Muskie Fly Anglers
Vince Weirick
Posted 10/8/2009 3:12 PM (#403748)
Subject: Muskie Fly Anglers

Any of you out there? Tell us what type of tackle you use (rod, reel, line, fly, etc.), or any stories you may have.
muskydeceiver
Posted 10/8/2009 3:35 PM (#403756 - in reply to #403748)
Subject: Re: Muskie Fly Anglers

Hey Vince...you put any in the boat with the rig I traded you?
esoxfly
Posted 10/8/2009 3:52 PM (#403758 - in reply to #403748)
Subject: RE: Muskie Fly Anglers

I do it on a fly. Used to be 100% fly, but wanted to put more fish in the boat so I picked up conventional gear as well! lol

I used 10's and 11's. I use Sage rods and Tibor reels, and like Rio and Teeny lines. They really do well in specialized lines. Short head, short rear taper, heavy head lines.

I like big flies, single hooks and I ain't afraid to use rattles, lips and blades on my flies. These are muskie, not brook trout! My customers know better than to ask me to tie them a dozen size 18 Adams or BWO! I tie and fish big flies and love it.

Stories are minimal. I've been fishing and learning LSC the last year, and it's been an uphill battle finding the fish, which is why I picked up the conventional gear; to start marking fish. I learned my muskie fishing in MN, and the fishing there is significantly different than it is here, so I'm largely starting over again here. Add to that I was a pike guy for the last 10 years and have only come to the muskies in the last three or four years, so I've still got alot to learn about this esox.

Edited by esoxfly 10/8/2009 4:01 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P1150028.JPG)

(P1130019.JPG)

(P4060021.JPG)

(logo-200.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1150028.JPG (153KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments P1130019.JPG (153KB - 142 downloads)
Attachments P4060021.JPG (154KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments logo-200.jpg (6KB - 127 downloads)
sorenson
Posted 10/8/2009 5:07 PM (#403767 - in reply to #403748)

Vince Weirick - 10/8/2009 2:12 PM

Any of you out there? Tell us what type of tackle you use (rod, reel, line, fly, etc.), or any stories you may have.

I dabble in it now and then. A buddy and I put several in the boat on one trip this spring. I think there's a thread on it here somewhere. Definitely hit a numbers lake if you can, it will really up the confidence needed to keep at it.
I use a Loomis GL3 9'9" 8 wt. and a Ross C-3 Reel. My line is Fenwick Techna weight forward; it's ok, but not much more than that. I used to use a Rio saltwater taper that I liked a lot better, but when it was cold, it got real stiff. The saltwater taper will turn the bigger flies over much better than a conventional weight-forward. I tie all of my own flies and none have names, they're pretty much original stuff. Lots of synthetic material cuz it doesn't hold as much water. Good hooks - Gamakatsu saltwater mostly. Most are single hook, but I have tied some long tandem ones, haven't fished them a whole lot though.
S.
NorthStar
Posted 10/8/2009 5:46 PM (#403771 - in reply to #403748)

I fly fished for muskies a bit this summer, didn't boat one but had a couple strikes and a couple follows. Went with the standard Bunny Leech, weighted head and black strip of rabbit fur anything bigger was just too hard to turn over. I used a TFO 8 weight and a G Loomis Venture 7 reel with 8 weight RIO. If I had actually hooked into a bigger 40"+ muskie it would have been one heck of a fight so this winter I've got two things on the wish list. A ten weight fly rod and a 8'6" conventional muskie rod.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 10/8/2009 8:24 PM (#403802 - in reply to #403748)

I use a 9 weight and a 10 weight. Have not landed any on flies this year, but have a muskie flyrod float trip coming up in a little over a week. I hope to do better next year.
Tom
davidd
Posted 10/8/2009 8:52 PM (#403811 - in reply to #403748)

The Sage Largemouth rod and the line which it comes with is really nice...I have tried many setups and this was the ticket. Also I was using the Barry Reynolds simple leader setup from his Pike On The Fly video, which was basically several feet of hard mono to tiger wire.
BenR
Posted 10/8/2009 9:43 PM (#403815 - in reply to #403748)

I took a trip down to NM and had a great time down there. I used a Scott S4 9'6" 8wt.....worked out great. I used the same the 4-5 inch flies i used for pike here in CO....fun stuff.
NorthStar
Posted 10/8/2009 10:48 PM (#403826 - in reply to #403811)

davidd - 10/8/2009 8:52 PM

The Sage Largemouth rod and the line which it comes with is really nice...I have tried many setups and this was the ticket. Also I was using the Barry Reynolds simple leader setup from his Pike On The Fly video, which was basically several feet of hard mono to tiger wire.

Same thing I use, 6-7ft 30# Mono and an albright knot to 2 feet of Surflon 26lb wire.
Vince Weirick
Posted 10/9/2009 6:55 AM (#403845 - in reply to #403756)

muskydeceiver - 10/8/2009 4:35 PM

Yes, we have! Just put a client on 2 Monday!
FlyFish4Esox
Posted 10/21/2009 4:03 PM (#405910 - in reply to #403748)

I've had the fly rod musky bug since I caught my first musky while flyfishing for smallies. As far as the equipment I use, I've got a couple St. Croix 10wt rods, large arbor reels with floating, intermediate or intermediate tip lines and a simple leader constructed from 30# flouro and about a foot of wire. For flies I mostly fish big streamers tied from synthetic material or Icelandic sheep hair - most of the stuff I tie is based on the patterns developed by Bill Sherer from We Tie It fly shop in Boulder Jct. About the only thing I'm missing is a Tuffy to fish from, so I ended up doing a lot of river fishing. Pics of my personal best - 38" and the other is a 19" smallie that jumped on a musky fly -a nice bonus when the muskies fishing is slow.

Edited by FlyFish4Esox 10/21/2009 4:29 PM

(38 musky.JPG)

(smallie.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 38 musky.JPG (82KB - 166 downloads)
Attachments smallie.JPG (57KB - 130 downloads)
esoxfly
Posted 10/21/2009 9:56 PM (#405967 - in reply to #403748)

Cool!!
davidd
Posted 10/22/2009 7:04 AM (#405985 - in reply to #405967)

I had to double take on that smallmouth...that is an incredible looking fish!
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/22/2009 1:24 PM (#406027 - in reply to #403748)

Just got a fly rod myself with a bunch of big fly's from the retired Doctor that sold me everything. I need lot's of practice casting before I even attempt to bring this in a boat with my buddies. Caught a Northern off our Dock on Nokomis, but nothing else. It's a 10 weight.

Love the pic of that smallmouth! Wow what a beautiful fish!
Whoolligan
Posted 10/23/2009 12:23 AM (#406096 - in reply to #403748)

I fish primarily an 8 weight, sometimes 10 (even 12) if the winds are nasty and I'm throwing huge balls of hair. My muskie sticks are Sage Xi2 and Winston XTR. My reels are Tibor, or loop opti. Most of my patterns are "Puglisi" style, with the exception of one I've created called "Slime Punch" based on Dan Blanton's "Punch" series.
I fish Pike/Muskie tapers, or I fish classV full sink, always with at least four rods rigged, two floating, two sinking.
I tie commercially, primarily trout patterns, but have also had a couple shops pick up some of my pike/muskie patterns this year.
It's a riot when you get a 40"(+) fish on the fly. It makes saltwater fish feel like weenies. A REALLY good shop to check out if you're interested in it is Hayward Flyfishing Company. Larry and Wendy are super people that will put you in the right spot for gear and gearing up for muskies on the fly. It really is a totally different ballgame than anything you've experienced.
Lastly, Esoxfly, you're a man after my own heart. I love seeing the Dynaking. I've got two Cuda's a Jr, and the X1 is my traveller.
swordfish
Posted 10/29/2009 11:21 PM (#407053 - in reply to #403748)

I fish and guide on the rivers here in northern Wisconsin out of a drift boat. Mostly the Chippewa and tribs, Flambeau and Jump Rivers. I have been changing a little this year to bigger fly rods like 11 weights and even 12 weights on full sinking lines. Try to keep false casting down to a minimum. Also the sinking lines almost force you to strip the fly all the way to the boat which is really important. Alot of muskies will hit right at the boat especially if you change the direction of your fly as you bring it close to the boat. Short strong leaders with tyger wire. I like big deer hair headed flies with saddle hackles or rabbit strip tails with some flash tied in. Some really good videos on youtube if you type in pike flies. I did 8 float trips this month and have got 33 muskies. Best day was 8 fish, worse day was skunked. Mostly small muskies for me this year but one guy got a nice 45 inch fish on the Chippewa. If you are wade fishing I like a floating line as the sinking line alot of times gets tangled up in my feet.
JKahler
Posted 10/29/2009 11:46 PM (#407056 - in reply to #403748)

swordfish, PM me your contact info, I'd like to try that out next year.
FlyFish4Esox
Posted 11/4/2009 10:24 AM (#407626 - in reply to #403748)

Tied for toothys this weekend. Figure 8 flies on 3/0 hooks, tied about 8 inches long.

Edited by FlyFish4Esox 11/4/2009 10:34 AM

(figure 8s.JPG)

(green figure 8.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments figure 8s.JPG (27KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments green figure 8.JPG (29KB - 133 downloads)
markm
Posted 11/9/2009 12:29 PM (#408180 - in reply to #403748)

for those of you interested in this topic there is a great book called Muskie on the Fly by Robert Tomes. Its a beutiful book ful of great tactics and techniques. I know he will be speaking at some of the show s this spring so be sure to check it out.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 11/9/2009 11:01 PM (#408270 - in reply to #403748)

Robert Tomes was at one of our MI chapter (chicagoland)meetings earlier this year great presentation. He's in the line-up at the Tri-esox (Chicago) show in Jan. He sparked me to try muskies on the fly and build my first fly rod, 10wt on a St. Croix blank. I loved the whole project. I paired it with an Okuma I-10 reel. The two lines i've been using are Rio coldwater Clouser and a cortland 444 tropic plus wf intermediate. Only a handful of flies most of which were graciously given to me by guys I've met in variuos plcaes including M-1st. Tried my gear in new mexico's quemadowith limited success. Locally recomended flies were half the size of what most Midwest anglers seem to be throwing but they drew a lion's share of the action so it pays to listen to the locals. Can't wait for my first shot at spring skies on the fly in 2010.
Whoolligan
Posted 11/10/2009 12:41 AM (#408275 - in reply to #403748)

I'm tying a bunch in the coming weeks, a couple restocks, so I"ll try to get a few pictures posted. I've had a couple guys ask and admittedly really bad about it...Like I said, I"ll try to get a few up.
swordfish
Posted 11/11/2009 5:45 PM (#408478 - in reply to #403748)

For God's sake, get out there NOW! Weather is great and going to hold out for a few more days in northern Wisconsin. I will even tell you where to go and you don't even need a boat. JUMP RIVER WISCONSIN! Went wade fishing today with my friend Roger from Ashland. We waded from the little park down to the bridge in Jump River. Took about 4 hours to fish it nice and slow. Only about a quarter mile. Nice water for wade fishing. Roger got one that was 30 inches but really fat. I had a really nice one follow but didn't eat the fly. I threw the fly up near a little feeder stream coming in and started stripping and I seen a big wake follow it to within about 10 feet of me and then turned away. Looked like about 40 inches. I can't think of a better way to spend a day then this. Hope to see you out there and GOOD LUCK!
JKahler
Posted 11/13/2009 3:31 PM (#408707 - in reply to #403748)

Just bought some waders, now I just need boots and I'm in the game. Spring pike should be good practice. I only have a floating line so far, would like to try and intermediate.
swordfish
Posted 11/19/2009 12:19 AM (#409187 - in reply to #403748)

Well the mild weather is really cooperating here in the northwoods. Went on a float trip today with my friend Roger and his wife from Ashland. Fishing was slow but lucky Roger did got a musky on his fly rod, 31 inches. We fished on the north fork of the Flambeau. It was the only fish we saw today. It was sunny and really calm and of course no one else fishing today. Anyway Roger is using one of the Sage rods that they developed for bass fishing tournaments. It is a little under 8 foot in length and is really light. I couldn't believe how well it cast, and we were throwing some nice size musky streamers with it. I think I will get one of these for next season as it is much less tiring to cast then my 9 foot rods and so much lighter.
Whoolligan
Posted 11/19/2009 8:13 AM (#409199 - in reply to #409187)

swordfish - 11/19/2009 12:19 AM

Well the mild weather is really cooperating here in the northwoods. Went on a float trip today with my friend Roger and his wife from Ashland. Fishing was slow but lucky Roger did got a musky on his fly rod, 31 inches. We fished on the north fork of the Flambeau. It was the only fish we saw today. It was sunny and really calm and of course no one else fishing today. Anyway Roger is using one of the Sage rods that they developed for bass fishing tournaments. It is a little under 8 foot in length and is really light. I couldn't believe how well it cast, and we were throwing some nice size musky streamers with it. I think I will get one of these for next season as it is much less tiring to cast then my 9 foot rods and so much lighter.

I have the two of the Bass rods, the Largemouth and the Smallmouth. They're a decent rod, but not my first choice for 'skies. They tend to be short range rods, casting much more than 45 feet is a challenge, just because of the way the rods load. They're not built for casting distances, Sage would tell you that up front. They're great for pitching big hair and streamers short distances, and into cover. They're accurate for that purpose, too.
One of the rods that I'd recommend you give a shot if you like a shorter rod is the Reddington Predator. They'll do just about everything the Sage will, but you have a little more length for casting distance.
As far as weight goes, the Largemouth weighs in at 3 5/8 oz and my Xi2 10 weight weighs in at 4. That's three eights ounce for a lot more rod. With a Loop opti reel on it, I'd say that my ten weight is the same weight within a quarter oz as my Largemouth.
swordfish
Posted 11/19/2009 9:06 PM (#409304 - in reply to #403748)

thanks for the info. Will have to look into that rod. I was just surprised how light that rod was and how well it casted. Anyway looks like some nice weather is going to continue up here. Going to try to get out one more time before it gets too cold and the rivers start to ice up.
Vince Weirick
Posted 12/3/2009 12:01 AM (#410640 - in reply to #403756)

muskydeceiver - 10/8/2009 4:35 PM

Deceiver...how is this? Got a 42"er today on the fly!

(42 fly.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 42 fly.jpg (31KB - 170 downloads)
muskydeceiver
Posted 12/3/2009 9:35 AM (#410655 - in reply to #403748)

That is awesome. Glad to see that stuff go to work! That was such a pretty set-up.....hated to see it sit in the corner! Very cool!!!!!!
AftonAngler
Posted 12/29/2009 9:44 PM (#414496 - in reply to #403748)

Howdy from Musky Country...new to the forum.  Glad to find some other musky on the fly anglers!  I'm a full time fly fishing gude/outfitter based out of Hayward WI specializing in musky on the fly.

These fish are MADE to take a fly!  I'm not bragging...just putting it out as a matter of fact.  I had 106 fish in the boat this season on the fly.  Still learning the game and will always be a student but wow what a blast it is!

Lakes, flowages and for sure RIVERS are all ripe for fly rod presentations.  I liken the fly rod approach much the same as archery is to deer hunting...certainly challenging, a different twist, different presentation skills and gear...but at times The Best approach and always a hoot!

I'd love to keep the discussion flowing.  It will be a long, cold winter without some musky talk...

Vince Weirick
Posted 12/29/2009 10:39 PM (#414513 - in reply to #403748)

Afton...would like to chat sometime. Give me a call if you get a chance 574-551-0214 Vince
Posted 1/5/2010 5:55 PM (#415706 - in reply to #403748)

Vince...drop me an email and we can go from there friend...

[email protected]

Happy New Year to anyone crazy enough to take care of business in 2010 with a fly! Same to the rest of you musky chasers...maybe you will get the urge to take a walk on the fly side this season too!

Once you go fly nothing else will do.

One of our Musky Tribesman Lee Church just wrapped up his first fly fishing film - The Musky Chronicles.

Here is a link to the trailer:

http://www.vimeo.com/8523307

enjoy

JKahler
Posted 1/6/2010 1:22 AM (#415761 - in reply to #403748)

Looks like a cool video. Is it spring yet?
Mak51
Posted 1/6/2010 11:55 AM (#415817 - in reply to #415761)

Great video! I think the fly fishing for musky bug is creeping back into me. I have always wanted to land one on the fly rod; I've hooked them but never been able to land them on the fly rod.

Edited by Mak51 1/6/2010 11:57 AM
Mak51
Posted 1/23/2010 6:56 PM (#419051 - in reply to #415817)

Anybody have feedback/recommendations for a large arbor reel in the "value" price range. I have always had a tough time dumping lots of $$$ in my fly reels. I am looking to setup a rig with a sink tip and thinking of picking up a 10wt. (maybe a used Sage Xi2) and reel ____ . I have always used Redington & Winston rods and only Redington reels, so don't have much experience with other products.

Edited by Mak51 1/23/2010 7:00 PM
bfunk73183
Posted 1/23/2010 11:49 PM (#419123 - in reply to #419051)

never got big into the fly fishing, but that video was amazing......very cool lots of fun.....top notch!!

-ba-
Pike Fly Guy
Posted 1/24/2010 3:57 PM (#419222 - in reply to #415817)

Musky will chase and hit flies as well or better than hardware. I took 6 up to 42" on Lake of the Woods, Ontario, in June of 08, and my hardware buddy only took 4. He tried my Marabou r/w streamer the next summer for 1/2 a day out of his 7 day trip, and caught his biggest of that trip, 45".

For the guy asking about rods, I agree with a 10 wt. Try Temple Fork, available at www.feather-craft.com, ($160.00) or look for a complete outfit on my web site (www.pikeflyguy.com). You don't need a top-end reel for musky or pike, either. I've written a book, "Toothy Critters Love Flies," ($16.95) available at my web site or at Amazon.com, that tells you all you need to know about catching big pike & musky on flies, including recipies for the best, easy to tie streamers. Look at the site to get my bona fides.

Tight Lines.

George
The Pike Fly Guy