LOTW - Sabaskong Bay - October
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/6/2009 8:56 AM (#403373)
Subject: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay - October

I don't have a lot of fishing information because of a lack of muskie anglers out and about as well as a lack of opportunity to get out myself. However, I have talked a couple fisherman that had a little luck both casting and trolling in the last week. Casting rocks and trolling shorelines.

I did sneak out yesterday for a few hours and saw water temps mostly in the 54-55 range. We have 53 at the surface here in the bay at the dock.

Yesterday, we saw 4 fish casting rocks - catching one nice 40.5" thick male casting rocks. My fishing partner was using a double 10, I had a double 8 on the end of my leader. I caught the fish on a double 8 bucktail with one treble and one large single hook that had an 8 inch fat rubber twister tail on it. It was a bait Dick Moore made up this spring and originally had two single hooks to go with the treble on front, but after using it , I asked if he would mind if I took off the second single hook because it just seemed to flop around too much. Anyway, the fish followed that bait in and ate it at the boat. Now we have to think of a name for it because I already want a couple more in different colours and so does my fishing partner.

A few trolling runs produced a small northern and a very fat 38 inch northern that I was sure was nice muskie until it finally surfaced. UGH!

A couple of anglers boated a nice 45 incher and a mid 30 incher over the weekend in the really though wind and cold weather. Both fish were caught on 10 inch jakes while casting.

It will only get better. Turnover is almost complete. We saw one boat on the water traveling yesterday. The lake is pretty quiet. I can't wait to troll from morning til dark in a couple of weeks.

Edited by MyliesPlace(Justin) 10/6/2009 3:11 PM
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/9/2009 12:38 AM (#403835 - in reply to #403373)
Subject: RE: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay - October

49-50 degrees reported between the resort and someone's cabin about 5 miles to the east.

hoping to get some trolling in this weekend, but the wind forecast may limit choice of where to fish.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/9/2009 6:39 PM (#403946 - in reply to #403373)
Subject: Re: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay - October

Snow flurries mixed with some rain tonight (Friday.) Forecast for 1-3 inches of white stuff Saturday. UGH! I might push back the start of my trolling season by a day.

Snow AND 20 MPH winds isn't much fun.
jerken jimi
Posted 10/10/2009 7:05 AM (#404007 - in reply to #403946)

Justin
same s@#*t for us down here!!! weve been splitting wood and doing other chores the last few weekends.Hoped to get out this morning and was denied!! Ther is a half an inch of snow on everything,15-20 mph winds BRRRRR!!!!! well I hope everyone up there is doing great.Tell everyone I said hi !
Me and mic want to come up the 4th of July weekend (friday thru monday)and camp.Let us know if you have room.
Good luck,Jim
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/10/2009 9:52 AM (#404028 - in reply to #403373)

Hey Jimi,

Sorry to hear about the weather down there being the same as here. I'm not going out today in this 20 gusting the 30 wind with snow flurries. We woke up to a white blanket this morning as well.

A campsite for next year over the 4th of July looks good.

I'll email you to confirm.

Hope to get out Sunday and part of Monday if the wind goes down a bit.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/15/2009 8:50 AM (#404891 - in reply to #403373)

Water is down to 45ish in some areas. Fish have been hitting pretty good this week. Biggest reported from our guests was a massive 48 incher. Jakes and Grandmas almost exclusively.
rockpt
Posted 10/15/2009 11:07 PM (#405011 - in reply to #404891)

Thanks for the reports Justin. Check out the doubleheader thread here - caught last week up in Miles Bay on Wed. as soon as the wind kicked up after four calm days.

Interesting you say exclusively Jakes and Grandmas. I've trolled up there for several years and have caught most of my fish on Jakes. Have trolled Slammers, Believers, Plows and Jakes, and I always end up catching fish on Jakes. Wonder if it's cause the fish prefer Jakes or that's my go to bait.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/16/2009 11:30 AM (#405069 - in reply to #405011)

I did read your double header thread somewhere and had planned to post a congrats on one of the boards for it. That's very cool stuff indeed. It seems to happen at least once a fall for someone here at the resort as well.

I had 3 double headers going last year in my boat during trolling season, but didn't ever get two muskies in the net. One had a 40 inch muskie and 41.25 northern for the biggest total inch combination. We actually tried to shake off the northern when we realized it was "just a northern." Luckily it was hooked good and during hand landing i realized it was a pretty big fish so we put it on the board and then had to get a photo. We had two muskies on once, but one got off so it was not to be. The other double was two smaller northerns. *YAWN!! HAHA*

I too have experimented with other baits more than some of my buddies, but the jakes have certainly been the number 1 producer. We have started using more 14 inchers the last few years. Grandma's were unexpectedly hot for my boat last year, mostly using them on the middle road over the motor on a shorter line with 3 rods going. I picked up a few more Grandma's for this fall and will see what happens. My best Grandma last year has already been hit 3 times in part of a day this year. A couple of other boats have reported several fish on grandmas (mostly the 13" model) this past week already.

I have seen people catch a few on other baits so we know it can be done. Often times, especially in your situation where you have a week or so..there is no point messing with what works. One thing I keep talking about and will eventually try is running a jake that is just the blank with no paint or eyes. That might help prove it's the action of the bait (rattle as well perhaps) that make the fish eat it so often.

Thanks for posting on the thread. Our mutual friend Eastwind did nothing on Saturday, but scrape snow off his truck in the morning and work on his ebay skills since the thinning leaves allowed the wireless signal to reach his cabin. I can't blame him though as I had looked forward to Saturday as my first day of trolling since I put the boat away last year and decided to sit it out as well.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/29/2009 5:12 PM (#406985 - in reply to #403373)

Water temps still 42-44 as of Oct 28. We have some colder temps coming up next week, but looks like we will get on more week of trolling in, maybe more if I want to drive in from Rainy River after we button up the resort for the winter by the end of next week. Taking tomorrow to get some work done and then should have only one more day of work to finish things off. There is some wind in the forecast so that may limit where we can fish, but we'll find a few good areas that aren't getting pounded.

Finally found a few nicer fish on 10/28.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 11/6/2009 8:22 AM (#407920 - in reply to #403373)

water temps right around 40 where we have been fishing the last few days. We have been doing well with numbers this fall, but haven't found any giants yet. A heavy 48" has been the biggest.

We've found that 10 inch jakes have been far and away the best producers. the bigger baits that have been very reliable the last couple of seasons haven't had much action.

Hope to have a few more days on the water before it's all over and done with for the season.