Buffalo Harbour and Eastern Erie....????
Roughneck1860
Posted 9/9/2009 3:23 PM (#398811)
Subject: Buffalo Harbour and Eastern Erie....????

I'm originally from the Ontario side of the Niagara River and was planning on heading that way to visit some family this fall. How's the Muskie fishing now days? I remember years back it was quite the place to fish. I've heard its really gone down hill though in recent years. Is it worth bringing the boat and fishing Buffalo Harbour or outside in the lake? I'm just trying to get a little info so I can plan now for November.

Thanks
Tim
jerryb
Posted 9/9/2009 8:36 PM (#398919 - in reply to #398811)
Subject: RE: Buffalo Harbor and Eastern Erie....????

Haven't fished Buffalo yet however given the chance or was in your same situation, without a doubt, I'd bring the boat!
November/ thanksgiving is prime time in the harbor.

Even if you never get a rip you'll go away knowing more about this trophy water and may want to return to,, visit the family every fall, good luck!
snaggletooth
Posted 9/10/2009 10:37 AM (#399025 - in reply to #398811)
Subject: RE: Buffalo Harbour and Eastern Erie....????

Tim,

If you're going to Buffalo, I think you should spend a day on the river near Strawberry Is. If you go in Oct or November, then the harbour may also have some hogs in from the open water. I lived near Buffalo in '06 & '07. They lost many big fish to VHS from '04 thru '06, but there are still some mature muskies remaining.
The Niagara Musky Association is still active and I fished a club outing/tourney in Buffalo with them in Nov. '07. The tournament winners caught multiple small fish that day casting near Strawberry Is. We & 2 other boats fished the harbour looking for hogs & had no action. If I recall correctly, there was 1, 50 incher caught in the harbour in the spring of '07.
My club membership expired after I moved away, so I haven't heard about who has caught what since '08.
You can try contacting Larry Jones via his website:
http://www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

Jim Kinner who sometimes posts here may have some current info for you.
Roughneck1860
Posted 9/10/2009 3:33 PM (#399081 - in reply to #398811)
Subject: Re: Buffalo Harbour and Eastern Erie....????

Thanks for the replies guys. I may just have to get a hold of Larry. A client of mine actually used to fish with him a number of years ago.

Tim