Help, LOTW Friday
Pig-king
Posted 9/7/2009 3:00 PM (#398274)
Subject: Help, LOTW Friday

Hi, i from sweden and im going to Lake of the wood on friday! Im wonder whats waiting for me? What baits shell i bring? spinnerbait,crank,jerk,swimbait?
Please help me out, im loking for so much information possible! How big/small baits shell i bring etc etc, Please make me happy and answer me here in the thred or pm me or if you want to send me an e-mail, [email protected]
Best reg Fredrik
rpieske
Posted 9/7/2009 3:37 PM (#398276 - in reply to #398274)
Subject: RE: Help, LOTW Friday

Fredrik:

Your timing is just right.  The muskies have been biting very well.  Friends of mine just got back and caught 52 muskies in 7 days.  The largest was 49" (1.25 meters).  Bring an assortment of all the baits you mentioned and include a couple of topwater baits.  Muskies are on the rocks and also in weedbeds when you can find them.  Fish the windy shores and points, saddles and rocks.  The water is still cool and pretty clear. 

What part of Lake of the Woods will you be fishing?  I live on Lake of the Woods 4 months of the year and fish muskies about 100 days per year.  Perhaps I can help.

Ha det god.

Edited by rpieske 9/7/2009 3:43 PM
hog
Posted 9/7/2009 4:12 PM (#398279 - in reply to #398274)
Subject: Re: Help, LOTW Friday

hey Bob I'll be up thursday- sunday of this week. How is the water level? I fish from the falls out past split rock a couple miles.
rpieske
Posted 9/7/2009 7:25 PM (#398294 - in reply to #398279)

Unfortunately, I am back home.  I had to leave early this year because we are headed to Italy.  The water level is good, still cool and pretty clear.  I left there this past Tuesday.  Stretch yourself this year and get out past Split Rock, through Crooked Foot Channel and through Blueberry Narrows.  Lots of great fishing potential out there.  You should have a great time fishing.  Best weather of the whole summer.  Good Luck.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 9/8/2009 12:07 AM (#398334 - in reply to #398274)

Hey Fredrik,

A group of us will be arriving on Friday as well. Where are you staying and for how long?

Dave
Pig-king
Posted 9/8/2009 2:52 AM (#398337 - in reply to #398274)

Hi everyone, We are going to Stevens bay, ontario, I think we are arrive at sunday and get back seven days later. We stay at youngs wilderness camp, Thanx for the tip Bob i really happy to hear its nice fishing right now!
This is the trip of my life
Dave, hope i see you there, were are you staying?
Best reg Fredrik
MuskyTime
Posted 9/8/2009 8:00 AM (#398359 - in reply to #398274)

The water has been coming up for about the last 2 weeks and I would say it's up about 4-6 inches from mid Aug. So I would say that it's about 6 inches above normal. The only problem with the higher water is it made most area's in the NW Angle dirty. Still fishable but hard to see low following fish. Even the Narrows was real dirty last week and is just now cleaning up. Like Bob said, find rock points getting blown by the wind and your in good shape. The tobacco cabbage rock combo is also holding fish. The water temps are about the warmest the lake has seen all summer (about 68-70) as weather has been in upper 70's for a week now.

Top water bite is pretty good and of course large buck tails. One tip I would offer on top water is this. Once you have a fish wake up on your bait, slow it way down so they can catch up and eat it. Speeding up or maintaining a normal pace and they will miss it every time. I know it goes against every rule of top water but it will convert fish for you!

Birch trees are turning golden yellow and the birds are flocking up but the weather still tells me it's summer! Big fish are also going!

Chartreuse blades show up best in the dirty water and the muskies like them also. Bloom is not a big factor but has piled up on some shorelines making them unfishable.

Forecast looks like rain and temps in the upper 60's by Friday.

Edited by MuskyTime 9/8/2009 8:06 AM
Fish and Whistle
Posted 9/8/2009 1:04 PM (#398476 - in reply to #398274)

Hey Fredrik,

We are staying at Bill Sandy's in the Angle. We cover a lot of water, but I don't think we'll cross paths. (that a good distance) Good luck, you'll love it.
rpieske
Posted 9/8/2009 3:10 PM (#398522 - in reply to #398337)

Fredrik:

If you do well fishing Stevens and Stoney Portage Bays, I think I'll come over to Sweden and fish the Pieskestrommen.  I wonder if they named it after me?  LOL

Pig-king - 9/8/2009 2:52 AM Hi everyone, We are going to Stevens bay, ontario, I think we are arrive at sunday and get back seven days later. We stay at youngs wilderness camp, Thanx for the tip Bob i really happy to hear its nice fishing right now! This is the trip of my life Dave, hope i see you there, were are you staying? Best reg Fredrik

muskiewhored
Posted 9/8/2009 3:18 PM (#398526 - in reply to #398274)

Make sure you drop some dawgs for sure, also make sure you always get your 8's or O's in expecially with the murky water
shotgunlew
Posted 9/8/2009 5:01 PM (#398565 - in reply to #398526)

My dad just got home fromt here big fish of the trip was 49'', and most fish where caught on double cowgirls or big jointed baits!
Pig-king
Posted 9/9/2009 9:13 AM (#398687 - in reply to #398274)

Thank you all for helping me out! And Bob if you ever come too sweden i hope i here from you, i can show you some nice spots