LOTW - Sabaskong Bay; September
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/5/2009 8:25 AM (#398064)
Subject: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay; September

The sun has been out for more than a week and the air temps have been 15 degrees above normal. Instead of 66 degrees, we've had in the 80's. Fish activity has been a little slow for some in the hot sunshine, but others have been doing well seeing fish the last couple of days.

The best reports are coming from those hitting sand/weeds as the primary structure. Rocks are working well with weeds nearby. The bigger fish have been following double 10's being retrieved over the tops of the weeds.

I'll be away this weekend, but will have some friends/guests out on the water so should have some useful information after things wrap up for the holiday.

Enjoy the great weather up here and stay safe on the water.

bazil
Posted 9/9/2009 2:14 PM (#398791 - in reply to #398064)
Subject: RE: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay; September

We fished sat thru monday just fishing a few hours monday morning . The muskies were active although are number of muskies caught doesn't reflect that for the weekend . We caught 1 - 44 muskie sat evening we saw 3 other muskies on sat 1 early 40" class fish on top water 1 about mid 40 " class fish and one that would be very close to that 50" mark for sure high 40" class. We didnt see any on mid lake rock all fish were contacted on shoreline related spots. We fished walleyes during the mid day time period sat and sunday and caught a limit of walleyes in short order no big ones just eater sized fish trying 1 new spot sat and another new spot sun seemed like wherever we dropped our lines there was walleyes to be had bottom bouncers with spinners hammered gold blades .Every muskie that came to the boat tried to hit though very aggressive all in the figure 8 sat except the 1 that was caught she hit mid cast . Sunday morning saw another mid 40 " class fish she hit in the first turn on the figure 8 just getting a mouthfull of tinsel no hooks didnt see any more fish sun till evening was trying new spots most of the day sunday. Sunday evening went back to the spot i missed the fish in the morning she missed my bucktail mid cast actually poping the bait out of the water as she went under it she swung back and hit again just wasnt meant to be just a solid strike no fish. Monday morning we went back to where we missed the fish no movement from her tried a few more spots but didnt move any muskies monday. Once again labour day weekend proved to be a good time to be up on sabaskong for muskies have learned from past years on the water not to miss this weekend good action from muskies and no pressure usually not many guys out casting.
bazil
cpr fish
Posted 9/10/2009 4:57 PM (#399093 - in reply to #398791)

Anyone been out lately? Location? Lures? H2O temps? Heading up for the 1st time in 6 days! I'll stop by and say hi Justin, we will be near Miles Bay.

MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/10/2009 5:13 PM (#399096 - in reply to #398064)

Been a little out of touch because of the weekend away and then some doctor's orders to rest a back that has been acting up for the first time ever. Pay attention to Bazil's report because he's a helluva fisherman. He likes to throw the big double 10's, but his wife catches more than her share without being able to throw the big stuff very long. He had a little topwater action as well.

Asked someone today and they told me the water temps were ranging from 65-68 degrees.

I'll check in with a few other friends that were up over the weekend and try to get some more info. Have a couple boats of casters here through the weekend as well so hopefully they can offer some insight when they depart.

With orders to take it easy, I'll likely be laying low around here for awhile so there won't be much chance of missing me because I'm out on the water. I should be around from 7 in the morning til dark every day so feel free to come by and say hello anytime!

Still hot and sunny today, but they say some rain is coming through tomorrow.

Edited by MyliesPlace(Justin) 9/10/2009 5:15 PM
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/10/2009 6:12 PM (#399105 - in reply to #398064)

Quick update from a friend and very accomplished fisherman. He did not see a fish in the last two days. YIKES!! That's tough.

One of our guest boats came in to take a break and head back out for the evening. That in itself is not unusual, but it would be the first time I've seen them do that in all the years they have been coming for their fall trip.

Hopefully things will pick up. There is a little front coming in tonight so maybe the last of the day will make up for the tough first part of the day. Have to be optimistic right?

hog
Posted 9/10/2009 6:33 PM (#399112 - in reply to #398064)
Subject: Re: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay; September

Hey guys, Got here this morning at 10 am, second spot 47" musky, nice fish. Weeds and sand!!I'll be out tonight for an hour or so keep ya updated. Wife caught two small mouth, a walleye and a 37'' northern all on 1/8 oz jig with crawler.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/16/2009 10:12 AM (#400106 - in reply to #398064)

Uncle of mine guides a couple guys yesterday and reported seeing 14 fish, hooking 7, but ONLY catching 2. That would be a helluva day for me!! Only 2. HA! I wish I could have an ONLY 2 kind of day.

Saw a couple in the 4 foot range and one of the fish landed was 46. Mostly sand with green weeds. The big bucktail was the hot bait again. 5 of the 7 ate black/silver DCG.

I was out sunday and got a couple of 41's at boatside out of sand/weeds. Friend I was fishing with brought 4 up on copper (smaller buchertail.) I caught the two and had another one get nothing but tinsel at boatside on copperbased DCG.

Had some guests move fish on rocks Tuesday. A fish in the 4 foot range rolled on a black/orange suick, but they had action on the double 10's as well.

Water temps seen up to 75 running right on the surface, but have been 70-71 steady in the afternoons.
jda53
Posted 9/23/2009 9:07 PM (#401608 - in reply to #398064)

Hey all-just returned from LOW Tue night. We fished Sat-Tue. Pretty slow overall. Fished a combo of walleyes and muskies. Stopped by a few times to bend Justin's ear at Mylies. He gave us some great tips as always. Only boated 1 small ski. Saw a few others, but conditions were tough, felt a little better about our effort after reading the MAC results on Vermillion. Water temps were warm in the 70's. Walleyes were everywhere, but small. In fact we caught 3 over 20" and all were on trolled cranks. Fish definetly still stuck in a summer pattern with the warm water. Good times as always.
Jay
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/25/2009 10:17 AM (#401795 - in reply to #401608)

The muskie action was some of the best of the year through last weekend, but has slowed up a bit this week. A buddy that has been out fishing regularly told me that he has not seen a fish (northern or muskie) in the weeds in a couple of days. He did catch 48 and 41 inch females on rock reefs on consecutive days this week (Tues/Wed) on bucktails. He did not get any follows off the rocks, with the two fish he caught being quite aggressive and eating out on the cast.

Water temps are still upper 60s near 70, but we do have some cooler temps in the forecast next week. Sounds like a hellacious day of wind coming Sunday so batten down the hatches Saturday night if you are up here and vulnerable to a NW wind.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/28/2009 3:01 PM (#402183 - in reply to #401795)

Not much in the way of muskie activity to report due to a lack of muskie hunters in the area at the moment.

I can tell you that the water temp at our dock was down to the 63 degree range this morning after being 68-70 over the weekend.

Fall has arrived.

The fattie hunting will commence shortly.
Asandir
Posted 10/5/2009 8:48 PM (#403284 - in reply to #398064)
Subject: Re: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay; September

Anybody have any new reports and water temps?