Trout Lake - Vilas County
Musky Madman
Posted 9/3/2009 12:22 PM (#397788)
Subject: Trout Lake - Vilas County

Heading up to Trout Lake for the holiday weekend. This will be my first time fishing this lake. Looking at the lake map I was surprised at the depth - up to 117 ft. Any tips for a newbie fishing these waters would be great! I'm also looking at going over and trying Big Muskellunge which is very close by. Any opinions or comments on either of these lakes is appreciated.
As far as trout lake - I'm thinking my main focus would be casting bulldawgs off of the steep dropoffs/submergent structure.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Medford Fisher
Posted 9/3/2009 2:12 PM (#397820 - in reply to #397788)
Subject: Re: Trout Lake - Vilas County

madman,

Trout is typically known as a tougher bite than many lakes in that area. Although, I've only been on it twice before and we did see fish both times. The narrows area and surrounding areas are great places to fish; as well as the islands and points that extend out from them. Not a whole lot for weeds. The same can be said for Big Muskellunge - rusties got most of the weeds. With that being said, there are big fish in both lakes and they're worth fishing if you're looking for that big musky.
If you're looking for a few smaller lakes in that area, send me a PM.
-Jake Bucki
welldriller
Posted 9/3/2009 8:55 PM (#397888 - in reply to #397788)
Subject: Re: Trout Lake - Vilas County

I heard that the landing on Big Muskellunge is impossible this year because of the low water.