Where to Go?
EsoxPox
Posted 8/31/2009 8:57 AM (#397074)
Subject: Where to Go?

Hello All,

Just a simple question from a new member. (ha! ha!) My son and I have been hunting muskies for a couple of seasons now with some success. We are from eastern PA and have been hoping to make a trip to Wis. or Minn. where the people actually like muskies. We are not rich, like to fish on our own and prefer casting as we don't really have the best rig for trolling. FYI we have a 16' aluminum Ranger Cherokee with a 90/65 Jet. Here's my question... If you only had the money for one trip, wanted to (and had the ability) to catch good fish, what lake would you pick and why? We wouldn't object to staying at a place where the owner could point us towards the fish, we just can't afford a guided trip. Also, we would like to catch 30's and 40's with a decent chance at a 50". Is there such a place out there? Finally, we have fished small waters in Canada where we were the only boat on the lake for six days. No waterskiers, jet skiers, or pleasure boaters. Does Wisconson or Minnesota have such a place or am I just dreaming?
hog
Posted 8/31/2009 9:05 AM (#397080 - in reply to #397074)
Subject: RE: Where to Go?

hayward wis. Lots of lake with great fishing.Known as the musky capital of the world, and home of the worlds record musky!
jackson
Posted 8/31/2009 9:06 AM (#397081 - in reply to #397074)
Subject: Re: Where to Go?

I would go to Hayward. Plenty of lake on the big chip, it's absolutely beautiful (almost Canada like) and there are fish to catch. Can be a handful thou if you don't get some direction, but you can pick up a map and have alot of fun on the water.
ToddM
Posted 8/31/2009 10:38 AM (#397121 - in reply to #397074)

Don't buy into that world record musky nonsense but there are plenty of places to go, even in hayward. Lost land anf Teal lakes are very nice, no 50's but there are plenty of fish in the 30 and 40" category. The chip is a beautiful lake as well and has some big fish and plenty in the 30" and 40" but it does take time to learn, especially since you will not be getting a guide. I would stick to a smaller lake since that is the case. One great way to look for a place to stay is to google the towns up in northern wisconsin and you can find the are chamber of commerce websites and you can find alot of resorts that way. Boulder Junction, Eagle River, Minoqua, Mercer, Matitowish Waters, Presque Ilse, St. Germain all offer what you need as well. Here is a resort that is nice and would suite your needs in the boulder junction area for expample. www.fishtrapresort.com
Posted 8/31/2009 11:14 AM (#397141 - in reply to #397074)

This is as close to Canada as I've found:

http://www.ghostlakelodge.com

99% undeveloped shoreline. Not the place to catch a trophy though.
EsoxPox
Posted 9/3/2009 8:16 AM (#397754 - in reply to #397074)

Thanks for the tips guys, my son and I will be counting the days... When would be the best week in spring of 2010 to hit the hot bite in the Hayward area? Are the fish just bigger in MN? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bassinbob84
Posted 9/3/2009 6:04 PM (#397864 - in reply to #397074)

it's a different strain of fish in mn compared to wi. The Minnesota have brown backs and look like a big log in the water. IMO the wi fish look cooler but don't grow to the size of mn fish.
DMcMusky
Posted 9/3/2009 7:56 PM (#397875 - in reply to #397074)

You can avoid pleasure boaters / water skiers pretty easily depending on the time of year - wait another month and your fishing options increase dramatically even in PA. You don't have to travel all the way to WI or MN to get what you're looking for. You're already equipped for river fishing, there are at least 2 outstanding rivers in central/west PA, how about the Detroit river in MI, Ohio has some reputable smaller lakes, Cave Run, Chataqua in NY, Ottawa and St. Lawrence rivers, and eastern Ontario has many options....but you certainly can't go wrong with WI or MN!!!
John at Ross's
Posted 9/8/2009 7:25 AM (#398349 - in reply to #397864)

bassinbob84 - 9/3/2009 6:04 PM

IMO the wi fish look cooler but don't grow to the size of mn fish.

Whatever...