Two weeks until Eagle Lake
bcampr1
Posted 8/17/2009 9:22 AM (#394510)
Subject: Two weeks until Eagle Lake

I haven't been to Eagle in about 5 years and this is the first time going at this time of year. If anyone has any "pro tips" to share, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been keeping my eye on this site as well as a few others and it doesn't seem like there is too much discussion about how to pick apart this body of water. I will be staying at a lodge near Eagle Bay. The other times we have fished this water, we weren't able to connect, but did have several follows. I would like to be able to come back on this site and brag (as well as thank) to those who helped me.

Thanks for any information you could provide.
W8N4SNO
Posted 8/17/2009 9:47 AM (#394512 - in reply to #394510)
Subject: RE: Two weeks until Eagle Lake

We are heading up to Eagle on Thursday for 9 days, to find the best reports (IMO) and tips you may want to check out Andy Meyers Lodge reports section. Herbie tries his best to give up to date and accurate reports.
bcampr1
Posted 8/17/2009 10:52 AM (#394524 - in reply to #394510)
Subject: Re: Two weeks until Eagle Lake

I have looked at Herbie's site for a while and while it is informative, I have been under the impression that Eagle can be like night and day from the west end to the east. Has anybody stayed at or near North Shore Lodge that would be willing to lead me in the right direction?
Brian
Posted 8/17/2009 2:33 PM (#394557 - in reply to #394524)

I'm up here right now, very tough weather so far this week with thunderstorms, constant heavy rain that doesn't stop, only to be followed by high winds and a temperature drop. Definetely do not have them dialed in yet, we'll see what happens.
Posted 8/17/2009 2:51 PM (#394560 - in reply to #394510)

Want to catch fish up on Eagle...then here is my advice.

Have a few good double 10's, smoke blades on black seems to be really good. Put it on and don't take it off. Might try others like christmas tree with nickle blades, gold blades with purple skirt, but put on a double 10 and DO NOT TAKE IT OFF. Also, make sure you have your figure 8 techniques DIALED in.
whynot
Posted 8/17/2009 2:55 PM (#394562 - in reply to #394510)

yeah, i just looked at the forecast up there brian, looks like today through Wednesday are your days. good luck buddy! get your dad a 50"!
bcampr1
Posted 8/17/2009 3:19 PM (#394566 - in reply to #394510)

I don't have the gear to be dragging double 10's around for a week. I have a bunch of M&G's, top raiders, suicks, ghost tails and dawgs. I would think that if we run across hungry fish they would eat.
C.Painter
Posted 8/17/2009 4:14 PM (#394579 - in reply to #394510)

I will be on eagle as well Aug 29th - Sept 5th. This cold weather Brian is experiencing is a good thing for us....no more hot weather please...just let it be in the upper 60's all week and I will be happy

Double 10s are good...but this week if I was brian I would be working cranks and plastics off the main lake rocks. Oh, and don't feel tooo bad for Brian...he will be up there AGAIN with the capital City chapter outing with me at Herbies in two weeks!!

Love early sept on eagle
esoxaddict
Posted 8/17/2009 4:16 PM (#394581 - in reply to #394510)

bcampr, I just got back from Eagle. as of late, there are just as many fish being caught on the smaller #8 and #9 bladed bucktails as the double 10's. Do not forget to bring a Doc, and a depthraider or two. By the time you get up there I would expect most of your fish to be coming off the rocks, as it was about a 50/50 mix of rocks and weeds when I was up two weeks ago, and I am pretty sure the water has warmed up a bit since then.
C.Painter
Posted 8/17/2009 4:17 PM (#394582 - in reply to #394510)

Bcampr1....get a Tenn SHad pattern Grandma to throw....great bait on the rocks and a lot easier to work then a jake. Lots of twitches and pauses is what will get you eaten.
Slamr
Posted 8/17/2009 4:57 PM (#394595 - in reply to #394510)

Weagle baby, weagle. Did I just say that? Someone hit me. But seriously, me and the wife just got back from Herbie's and I can say that beyond the double 8s, 9s, and 10s, we had a ton of action on a simple black weagle. Worked fast and violently I got one (44), lost one (49), and had about 12 other follows with the largest being an absolute tanker (53-55). The wife works it a bit slower and more evenly and had fish up to 51 crawling behind it.

Also, for US (though this might be different by the time you got up there) we had probably 85% of our action between 6AM-9AM and from 6PM to 9PM.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/17/2009 5:26 PM (#394601 - in reply to #394595)

That seemed to be the pattern when I was up too. TONS of fish moving in the morning and then everything would just sort of shut down around 10:30. We had one day where we raised a good 25 fish in the first two hours, and only saw 2 all day after that.

Saw most of our topwater action on Doc's, and probably 50/50 between flashers and double 10's. Black and Orange seemed to be the ticket on the darker cloudy days, and black/smoke on the bright sunny days. And the martian, don't forget the martian...
Brian
Posted 8/20/2009 9:22 PM (#395132 - in reply to #394510)

Here are some things I would suggest you bring that I have found useful this past week

- rain gear
- a second pair of rain gear so you have some when the first pair is soaked
- a third pair of rain gear so you have something to wear when the rain stops ( which doesn't happen much) and water is coming over the side of the boat from high winds
- walleye gear
- print out a picture of a musky so you have one to remind you what they look like, in case one decides to show itself

it's been a tough go up here, to say the least, but next week looks like great weather. Water temps have gone from 69 to 62 and probably still droping more. Fish are starting to move on grandmas and jakes, bucktails are a tough go but a warmup could change that I imagine. The walleyes are going nuts though
bcampr1
Posted 8/25/2009 3:53 PM (#395960 - in reply to #394510)

Five more days. It looks like the weather has turned around after last weeks nastiness. Hopefully that means good things for those on the water right now. Does anyone have any updated reports?

BTW - I have raingear and backup raingear as suggested.
bcampr1
Posted 9/8/2009 9:52 AM (#398377 - in reply to #394510)

Here are the results:

Saw 5 - three pushing mid 40s; boated 3 (28, 34, 40) fishing from Stanton Bay to Osbourne. One of the mid-lake rock humps showed us the biggest fish, but it wouldn't go.
dcates
Posted 9/11/2009 1:38 PM (#399239 - in reply to #398377)

Just returned from a (too) quick trip to AML. Weather was miserable - hot, sunny, and too often no wind. Fish were both in weeds and on rocks - you had to keep moving and trying different spots. Double 10s, 'Dawgs, and Grandma's moved fish. Colors seemed to change from day to day, making me question whether color was important. Herbie runs a great place, with a greater staff - I expected a lot, and was not disappointed.

Oh, and I caught a new PB - 52".

rjbass
Posted 9/14/2009 3:57 PM (#399671 - in reply to #399239)

Got back from Eagle on Saturday, 9/12. Fished a week in hot, sunny, no wind conditions. Saw lots of fish and some big fish, but not many eaters. My son managed this tank on one of our double bladed bucktails....black and orange or black and yellow seemed to be the hot item this week.....

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(tn_DSC00024-1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tn_DSC00024-1.JPG (87KB - 82 downloads)