Sabaskong Bay LOTW - August Reports
bazil
Posted 8/7/2009 10:43 AM (#392868)
Subject: Sabaskong Bay LOTW - August Reports

i am heading up to sabaskong anybody have any recent reports ? rocks ? weeds ? bothe ? I was there in early july but recent reports would be helpfull leaving late tonight staying at myliesplace in morson thanks.
bazil
will post report after the weekend.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/7/2009 11:35 AM (#392889 - in reply to #392868)
Subject: RE: Sabaskong Bay LOTW - August Reports

Talked to a few more people that have been out fishing hard the last few days. It seems some of the weed bite is declining. A weed bed that would hold 2-3 fish last week is now giving up 0 or maybe 1 fish if you fish it a couple times during the day.

Some active fish one shoreline rock and some bare mid-lake rock the last couple of days. Others are still seeing a lot of fish, but can't get any to hook up. Black/silver is the predominant colour reported for bucktails and spinner baits. One angler has been faithfully throwing WTD topwater all week and getting a lot of action, but the fish keep missing it.

68-69 degrees last night on a couple of shorelines. Hopefully the rock bite is going to heat up. I just don't have the patience to fish weeds in the dark when I can't see anything and it's getting too dark too early already.

Keep your hooks sharp!!
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/9/2009 11:04 AM (#393211 - in reply to #392889)

Back to the weeds.

65-66 water temp the last couple of days. people fishing sand with cabbage are seeing and catching fish. (except when i'm in the boat, then they keep falling off.)

yes, there are still some anglers fishing shoreline rocks and seeing fish, and nice fish.

more action coming from the weeds.

I was out for a rare saturday daytime run from 10-4:30 and then from 6-9 Sat night. Action from 8 fish, two on and fell off...2 hitters that didn't stick and 4 followers.

All but one came from sand with cabbage. The other came from a rock.week combo that was more weed than rock.

Average size has been very good in the weeds lately too.

#*^@ spinner baits aren't hooking and holding anything for the people I've fished with. Might have to try to run a bucktail through them if this keeps up.

Black with flame blades has been a good colour for more than one boat.
brmusky
Posted 8/11/2009 1:29 PM (#393625 - in reply to #392868)
Subject: Re: Sabaskong Bay LOTW - August Reports

Just returned last night - found fish on rocks and rock-weed combos. We had one fish in the cabbage that couldn't connect, otherwise it was all rocks for us. After the first day we didn't fish cabbage again becaue of the difference in action we saw.
bazil
Posted 8/12/2009 10:39 AM (#393796 - in reply to #392868)

just got back late tues night from sabaskong had a good weekend of fishing sat our results were not like justins we saw 1 fish in 9 1/2 hours on the water fishing mainly rocks no weeds . sunday with the same weather pattern chose to fish walleyes in the am and had good walleye and perch action. sunday evening we saw 1 lunge but a possible 50" class fish she only showed herself once though . monday went west to the basil and little traverse didnt see a single muskie. Weather was hot thought the fish would be moving out there they werent for us. Stopped and caught more walleyes and perch big year class of perch this year. On our way back we started fishing rock again and saw 4 muskies on the 1st structure got 1 to eat in the figure 8 fell off early 40 " class wife had 1 eat a topwater she fell off also . I saw a high 40" class fish possible 50". wife was ready to go in I did the 1 more spot thing which turned into 2 spots second spot got a thick 46" lung. Tues we got out in the am for a few hours and saw another big fish possible 50" . Our trip was over for us but the fish seemed to be moving on the rocks with the warmer weather
bazil
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/17/2009 9:57 AM (#394516 - in reply to #393796)

Water temps we found Sat evening and Sunday morning were 69-71 degrees. Saw some fish on rocks/boulders close to shorelines. Managed to get one almost 44" (a male) on Saturday evening and another 42" on Sunday around noon. Finally a couple nicer fish in my boat this year. Both very healthy, which mislead me on length when I had them during the fight and in the net. Both fish came off rock (boulder point and boulders in front of a shorelines) on the same DCG. The darn thing was brand new and now needs some warranty work after 2 chunky muskies tried to kill it.

Anybody know where to get that bigger shrink tubing? Hard to find up here!

We did see some fish in the sand/weed beach areas as well, but didn't fish as much of them after reports of the weed bite slowing down during the week.

Fish followed a few topwaters, but did not hit. Had a buddy say he had a fish hit a topwater 3 consecutive casts before it stayed on. There has definitely been some strange things going on out there this year.

There is some algae around, but it's not significant at this point. We got some hard rain the last couple of days so would expect to see the lake come up an inch or two for the first time in over a month or more.

I won't be on the water this week, but we still have some guests out there throwing baits so we'll try to keep you updated during the week. I hope to get out again this weekend to see what is happening.

Good luck everyone.
lardonastick
Posted 8/20/2009 1:32 PM (#395080 - in reply to #394516)

Any recent reports? We'll be up there for a week starting Saturday; hopefully the fish are moving for us!
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/21/2009 11:30 AM (#395211 - in reply to #395080)

Been a quiet week in terms of people fishing up here. Weather has been up and down with some rain and wind thrown in to mix things up. Talked to a couple of guys that were out in the miserable conditions yesterday..they got a 46 early, but then fought it the rest of the day.

Our guests have been seeing some fish, mostly on bucktails..., but they haven't been jumping in the boat.

Biggest of the week have been 49 and 47 inches. The 47 on a big bucktail, the 49 on a red/white dare devil spoon.

I should be on the water some this weekend again and hope to get some action that I can report on.

Water temp has to be down a couple of degrees at least with the lack of sunshine until today and cool nights.

Still been some fish in the weeds, as well as the rocks...rocks were holding the bigger fish at last report.

Stop over anytime you are up and I'll be glad to let you know what structure and lures were working (or not) for me this weekend.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/25/2009 8:11 AM (#395841 - in reply to #395211)

I got out a couple of times on the weekend. Here's what I discovered:

Saturday, Aug 22
Fished from about 9am to 6pm with a couple of guests that have been coming for 25 years or more. Fished most of their fave spots and saw 9 muskies with a couple in the mid 40 inch range. Only 2 of them looked more than mildly interested in our lures. The rest were slow, low, lazy followers in the hot sun with little wind. Water was fairly clear and you could pick up following fish quite a ways out there unless they were really, really low. Fish followed mostly bucktails and we saw the majority of them between 1-3 pm. I tried a couple spinner baits, crank bait and one of the other guys through topwater most of the day, but no fish came in on those baits. No strikes, no open mouths. Tough day. The other boat sharing the cabin with them had similar results except they did have two fish on that fell off. Water temps started at 67 in the morning and climbed to 70-71 in the heat of the afternoon. Copper/copper and copper/black had them on my bait 4-5 times.

Sunday, Aug 23
Fished from 9am to 2pm. Only saw one fish in some nice green cabbage on a small sandy beach. Came in hot on a double 10 and charged the bait on the second turn. Pre-mature hook set. OOPS! Mid 40 incher too. Fished some nice rocks structure and good points but did not bring up another fish. Another hot, sunny high sky. Water temp started 67 again and got up to 70ish before we had to come in.

Talked to our guests this morning. One boat landed 5 fish yesterday up to 41 inches. Mostly bucktails and topper stoppers. The other boat saw more than a dozen fish, but only landed the last one. IT was a nice 46.5" on a bull dawg. Overcast skies with wind and current seemed to put the fish in a more agressive mood.

MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/29/2009 8:19 AM (#396702 - in reply to #395841)
Subject: Week of Aug 22-29, 2009

Had two boats fish pretty hard this week and head home this morning. Reported that water temps were 67ish the last couple of days. With a couple cold nights coming, we may lost a little ground there at night.

Black/silver buckatils was the best lure/colour at moving fish according to our guests. They boated 17 fish between the two boats this week. One of the boats had a 5 fish day midweek for the best day of the trip. I believe 9 fish spotted in one boat was the slowest day in terms of follows. Good average size with most fish in the low 40's. Biggest was 46.6" previously noted on a bulldawg. Several larger fish spotted that wouldn't commit, even up to the last day of fishing for the week.

Most action from rock type structure.

All in all, a good week of fishing and activity, but not as many landed as they would have liked.

Isn't that how it almost always go though?

Enjoy the weekend and coming week.

I'll be out a bit this weekend so hopefully I have something useful first hand knowledge to pass along.