casting green bay
esoxlucifer
Posted 7/29/2009 10:33 PM (#391223)
Subject: casting green bay

i have no interest in trolling what seems mostly obvious trolling water. does anyone put in any serious casting time here with results to speak of...maybe a fish every day or two? if so, any differences in techniques for lower bay vs upper bay. have no lower bay experience, but lots of sturgeon bay area smallmouth experience. again, don't really want to discuss trolling here...any casting tips appreciated.
dcates
Posted 7/30/2009 10:31 AM (#391317 - in reply to #391223)
Subject: RE: casting green bay

I believe there is an article on this subject in the current issue of In-Fisherman.
Grass
Posted 7/30/2009 12:44 PM (#391359 - in reply to #391223)

You can cast it just like any other lake that you cast. Work it with bucktails and surface baits along the weedlines. Obviously the learning curve will be much longer on the bay than on an inland lake. One advantage that casters have over trollers is that you can work much shallower areas casting than you can trolling. Spotted muskies have a reputation for setting up in very shallow water. Pay attention to the forcast and wind direction. If the wind is from the north or east it can get very rough even if it's only blowing ~ 10 mph.
esoxlucifer
Posted 7/30/2009 8:06 PM (#391461 - in reply to #391359)

sounds encouraging if one is willing to pay the neccessary dues...if its blowing as described do you fish the river or shawano?
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 7/31/2009 1:02 PM (#391578 - in reply to #391223)

I attended a musky seminar a couple of years ago where Dennis Radloff gave a talk on musky fishing on Green Bay. The river and University Bay are pretty much a Spring and Fall bite, because during the Summer the muskies seem to spread out throughout the Bay. Dennis fishes a lot of what he calls "tributary bays" all through the Summer. He is mainly casting the weed edges and structural breaks. Once the fish begin to disappear from the weed edges he may move out to offshore reefs like Larsen's and begin to troll. According to Dennis he has found good fishing all the way up the peninsula from Sturgeon Bay to Sister Bay. The farther up the peninsula you go the fewer the numbers are, but the chance at a big fish is there due to the forage.
h2os2t
Posted 8/1/2009 4:31 PM (#391779 - in reply to #391578)

Shawano gets bumpy with a west or southwest wind. Not like the Bay but if it gets to about 20 or so with W to SW wind it is not my choice. That wind with the bottom contours seems to make odd waves.