Talonz-Deep Threat?
Robert
Posted 7/27/2009 8:37 AM (#390634)
Subject: Talonz-Deep Threat?

Wonderin' if anyone out there has experience with Talonz Lure Co. - Deep Threat, 12" & 15"ers?
Are they built well? Finished well? Do they hold up? Run well?
I am afraid that the cedar might blow to pieces when I crash into a rock pile.
Any info well help before I spend a bunch of money.

THANKS, Bob
CiscoKid
Posted 7/27/2009 11:39 AM (#390669 - in reply to #390634)
Subject: RE: Talonz-Deep Threat?

I have run the 12" on wireline a bit, and it runs well. Really good thump! Ran it into some rocks at 4 mph without it getting dammaged. That said it is also one that is reinforced in the head with an oak dowel. You may want to talk with them (Mike King) and let them know your intentions of the bait. Like all his baits it is a quality bait.

I have not run the bait a ton into the rocks so take my results as such.
Robert
Posted 7/27/2009 12:15 PM (#390674 - in reply to #390634)
Subject: Re: Talonz-Deep Threat?

Do you know if he includes the lip when measuring them? 12" with or w/o lip?

Thanks for the info.

Bob
Chasin50
Posted 7/27/2009 1:39 PM (#390704 - in reply to #390674)

Contact Mike here...

http://www.fishall-lures.com/

Very well constructed, and prolly the best bang for the buck hand made wooden monster bait out.
Big Perc
Posted 7/27/2009 2:13 PM (#390708 - in reply to #390634)

I used to run the 19" version for about a year before I realized I needed my head punched in for having a bait that big...the bait ran like a champ and tracked perfectly straight to 5 mph but I sold it to someone out east who uses it on the St. Lawrence I believe...great baits though

Big Perc
Roughneck1860
Posted 7/27/2009 3:10 PM (#390721 - in reply to #390674)

Robert - 7/27/2009 1:15 PM

Do you know if he includes the lip when measuring them? 12" with or w/o lip?

Thanks for the info.

Bob

I have one thats marked #37 2004. Its measures 12" along the body. Their web site says they have new 15" and 21" versions out for 2008 so I'm saying that the size doesnt include the lip. I only just got in a trade and it went in the water for the first time ever this past weekend. It runs great and thumps hard. No strikes on it but that wasn't the baits fault. 3-5ft waves and 30mph winds to blame there.....thats what I'm sayin' anyway.

Good Fishin'
Tim

Edited by Roughneck1860 7/27/2009 3:21 PM
Mike
Posted 7/28/2009 11:24 PM (#391025 - in reply to #390634)

Howdy, I build the Talonz line up. My baits are all measured from nose to tail (body only) I do not include the lip. I build baits just for rock smashing and for not rock smashing. It depends on how much you want to spend. I sell a 12 inch model with a space shuttle grade Titanium Lip and an oak plied nose that is indestructable. The lips alone cost 30 bucks and the lure is 175.00 . You can split wood with it. ha ha ha . Even tougher than a Wishmaster. I have one on its second season on Georgian bay getting rock bashed all year no problems so far.

When I entered the lure business I was impressed with very few lures until I got some Lokes and the durability was what really got me going. Then I played around with a Parrywinkle for a few weeks and When I met Rolf from Wishmaster I knew where the bar was as far as quality. Rolf made the toughest lure in the world and the only thing and I mean this with all sincerity the only thing he could have improved was the Aluminum lip which after time will peen and chip away from constant rock crushing. Rolf would put 20 coats of polymer on each bait and that made the body hold together in any situation. I solved the splitting problem with less top coat and a reiforced nose. We ply in a 1/2 inch of oak into the nose and glue it in before we even cut out the blank. This takes the grain out of the equation makes the nose into plywood. I have to do this with the Titanium as that stuff is so hard it would split the lure if I didnt . We are still testing the Rock crusher and I will be setting my warranty by how long the first ones last. So long its two years of rock smashing and still going strong.

My base 12 inch bait is non reinforced with a lexan lip and sells for 65 bucks and will take a fair amount of abuse. I can add Oak dowel stock through the nose for another 10 bucks this helps hold the top and bottom together when hard rock hits happen but can still break behind the lip. Cedar gives us the best action but alas it has the kind of grain that does not hold up to hitting rocks without some kind of reinforcement. I know a guy who took one of my stock 12's and drilled two 1/8th holes down through the nose until he hit the wire and then put 2 stainless steel screws (3/16th) diameter down and screwed the top and bottom together. He is bashing rocks every fall and other then a pretty messed up lip the lure has been putting some big fish in his boat. Mike Lazarus has boated several nice fish on one of my dowel through the nose baits. I am swamped with orders and am 8 weeks behind. If you want to get a good 12 inch model go to www.protacklemuskyshop.com Stacy has several of the reinforced models . Tell him Mike sent you. I build a 15 inch model in base and dowel reinforced and a 21 inch model dowel reinforced. Its a good solid lure in the base unreinforced version but if you are looking to bang rock on purpose get on that I built for rocks. Mike King , Talonz Wooden Lure Company
Beaver
Posted 7/29/2009 9:20 PM (#391209 - in reply to #391025)

All of his lures, from 6" to 12", in all sorts of styles and profiles, are the best, toughest lures that I have ever used. I love to cast 'em and troll 'em, twitch 'em and rip 'em. They are some fish catching crankbaits no matter what kind of wood they are made out of.
Beaver