Abu Record 60 HC with power handle
Posted 7/23/2009 11:47 PM (#390203)
Subject: Abu Record 60 HC with power handle

Does anyone have any experience with this reel and if so how do they like it and what do they use it for?

Thanks
TJ DeVoe
Posted 7/23/2009 11:49 PM (#390204 - in reply to #390203)
Subject: Re: Abu Record 60 HC with power handle

I've got three of them, not with power handles but have thrown just about everything on them and there all still going very strong for me. Been great reels for me.
Scott M.
Posted 7/24/2009 12:46 AM (#390209 - in reply to #390203)
Subject: RE: Abu Record 60 HC with power handle

I got two Abu Record 60 HC's one without the power handle and one with the power handle. I prefer to use the one with the power handle especially with larger lures to avoid getting sore fingers and them nasty cramps in my fingers. So I probably use the one with the power handle 90% of the time. These are nice reels and I was amazed how far they cast and how reliable they have been for me. :)
Big fish only
Posted 7/24/2009 1:42 AM (#390213 - in reply to #390203)

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!! got sweet power for big fish, picks up line fast, and just plain rocks!!!! have nothing bad to say
bigbite
Posted 7/24/2009 8:25 AM (#390228 - in reply to #390203)

They're great reels. I have two (both) with power handles and have never had a problem with either of them. I throw primarily dbl. 10s and although I don't try to burn these baits I'm still able to handle them easily.
muskydeceiver
Posted 7/24/2009 10:02 AM (#390246 - in reply to #390203)

Had 2 of them with power handles. Liked them, but they both fell apart on me. The nut that holds the handle on stripped off on both of them after very little use. Maybe it was me putting undue stress on them (cowgirls and bulldawgs)?.......either way I have gone away from them.
whynot
Posted 7/24/2009 11:53 AM (#390275 - in reply to #390203)

Maybe the Record 60 HC series is different than the regular capacity, but I've had nothing but bad luck with these reels. Like muskydeceiver said, the nut that holds the handle on and the little screw that holds the nut locking plate on love to work themselves lose. I've also had the anti-reverse go out on one. I think Records are ok for smaller baits, but if you're going to use them for larger bucktails, gliders, jerk-baits, ripping lures, bulldawgs, or stuff like that, I'd get something else. Records feel great out of the box, but mine didn't last long after that.
Billy B
Posted 7/24/2009 12:20 PM (#390285 - in reply to #390275)

whynot - 7/24/2009 12:53 PM

Maybe the Record 60 HC series is different than the regular capacity, but I've had nothing but bad luck with these reels. Like muskydeceiver said, the nut that holds the handle on and the little screw that holds the nut locking plate on love to work themselves lose. I've also had the anti-reverse go out on one. I think Records are ok for smaller baits, but if you're going to use them for larger bucktails, gliders, jerk-baits, ripping lures, bulldawgs, or stuff like that, I'd get something else. Records feel great out of the box, but mine didn't last long after that.

Agreed, I had very similar issues with them.
muskiewhored
Posted 7/24/2009 12:27 PM (#390287 - in reply to #390203)

Great reel for up to mepp size bucktails, medium/small plastics. Basically, anything that can fit in the palm of two hands. anything bigger I wouldnt suggest.
JBush
Posted 7/24/2009 12:59 PM (#390299 - in reply to #390287)

I have one and its an OK pike reel, spooled with 65# test. 7-9" Suicks, #18 Rapalas, large Johnson Spoons, #5 bucktails. It'd be a good reel for small surface baits for muskie too I'm sure, TopRaiders etc. If you use lots of small lures and the fish run small, I think it'd be an 'OK' to 'good' muskie reel. Next to a 7000 it looks like a toy. I had the exact problem with my handle as the other guys above. I also have the power handle on mine.
Posted 7/25/2009 2:28 PM (#390438 - in reply to #390203)

Overall a very nice reel. I now own two of them. It is worth the extra $$ over its close cousin the C3. Extremely smooth and mechanically it is very precise. Instant AR is a nice feature.

I did have a problems one one reel with the AR bearing and had to replace the side plate two times but have since not had a problem for the last two seasons.

Also had the nut strip on the crank shaft as described above which required a main shaft replacement. A friend of mine had the same problem on a brand new reel which he exchanged. Sounds like Abu Garcia needs to make a redesign on this part for the thicker power handles. I think that there is not enough thread exposed and as such it is easily stripped causing looseness.
tuffy1
Posted 7/27/2009 8:00 AM (#390627 - in reply to #390285)

Billy B - 7/24/2009 12:20 PM
whynot - 7/24/2009 12:53 PM

Agreed, I had very similar issues with them.

I am in the same boat as well. I don't use them anymore.