lure color selection
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 7/19/2009 9:26 PM (#389475)
Subject: lure color selection

It strikes me as somewhat funny when I look at my best color so far this year. With all the baits I have with beautifull lifelike paint jobs that you'd swear would get eaten I find they are not. My best bait this year has been the manta painted flo. orange and black polkadots. Nothing lifelike about it at all. There is no baitfish that color and certainly none I've seen with polkadots. When you look in basement baits the paint jobs have gotten to be out of this world. These guys are really artist. I just wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing with the lifelike baits not being the top producer?

Pfeiff
muskie! nut
Posted 7/19/2009 9:49 PM (#389479 - in reply to #389475)
Subject: Re: lure color selection

1sy off you are assuming that the fish see the bait as you do. Maybe they do, but maybe they see it like something else? Maybe they are trying something different having eaten all those things that your baits are painted so lifelike? Who really knows, just keep chucking that manta and enjoy. Its like trying to figure out women - it can't be done.
mota
Posted 7/19/2009 9:54 PM (#389480 - in reply to #389475)

ole school contrast colors work best for me, ultra lifelike lure produce a better effect on a wall of collectors
just take a look at the most popular lures(good producer) they have nothing very ultra realistic
JKahler
Posted 7/20/2009 1:29 AM (#389498 - in reply to #389475)

I always throw bright stuff. It works 10% of the time, 90% of the time.
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/20/2009 11:09 AM (#389541 - in reply to #389475)

From what I have read and heard, a jailbird (yellow/black stripes) looks like a perch to a musky and pike. It does seem funny to me though as a real perch is not that color.
JBush
Posted 7/20/2009 11:18 AM (#389543 - in reply to #389541)

....and if you look at a perch swimming off your dock, it has a white belly, not hot orange or yellow like so many 'perch pattern' lures. I think colour is the #1 over rated, over analyzed thing we apply to fishing. Colour is critical to fishermen for their confidence and confidence is critical to fishing well. So in that sense I think colour is very important. But like was said, we have no idea what things look like thru a muskie's eyeball. I think its speculative science at best. Throw the colour you like on a bait that runs good and that'll be the 'hot colour.' I've seen hot and natural colours work on the same spots the same days and even at the same times. Throw what you like. I think flash or lack of flash is maybe even more critical than colour in the 'visual stimuli' category.
BaddFish
Posted 7/21/2009 1:04 PM (#389719 - in reply to #389475)

Most lakes in Ohio are slightly stained or tea color.... I'm learning more and more to stop using natural and only use firetigers... after all skee's are sight feeders.... I haven't caught one single fish on any firetiger color (any fish) in my life- so its soooo hard for me to keep using them.