Calcutta TE
619musky
Posted 7/14/2009 3:51 PM (#388643)
Subject: Calcutta TE

Hey i am thinking about getting a Calcutta TE and i was just wondering if the Calcutta comes with a power handle or if you can put one on. If you cant, can you still get cowgirls/supermodels going pretty fast with it.

Thanks for any input
whynot
Posted 7/14/2009 4:16 PM (#388646 - in reply to #388643)
Subject: Re: Calcutta TE

I don't have a problem getting cowgirls going as fast as I want with mine, but I don't know how fast people are actually burning them compared to how fast I go. TE's don't come with a power handle as of last year when I got mine. Powerhandle's don't make the reel any faster, they just give you more leverage. Also, if you're looking for speed, you might want to look at some of the saltwater stuff guys are throwing with now.

That uncertain advice being said, absolutely buy one. Best reel I've ever used, never had a problem and I beat the heck out of my equipment.
619musky
Posted 7/14/2009 4:24 PM (#388649 - in reply to #388646)

whynot - 7/14/2009 4:16 PM

I don't have a problem getting cowgirls going as fast as I want with mine, but I don't know how fast people are actually burning them compared to how fast I go. TE's don't come with a power handle as of last year when I got mine. Powerhandle's don't make the reel any faster, they just give you more leverage. Also, if you're looking for speed, you might want to look at some of the saltwater stuff guys are throwing with now.

That uncertain advice being said, absolutely buy one. Best reel I've ever used, never had a problem and I beat the heck out of my equipment.

Does the Calcutta make it hard to pull in big blades like other reels or does it make big blades feel a lot easier?
esoxfly
Posted 7/14/2009 5:28 PM (#388671 - in reply to #388643)

Mine pulls fine, and that's with a standard handle.
lambeau
Posted 7/14/2009 8:08 PM (#388700 - in reply to #388643)

the 400 TE is a great reel, absolutely one of the best that i've got, and it makes it very easy to pull double-10s when i'm looking for a slower presentation. it's a great option for crankbaits and big plastics, too. even with the big power handle it's not what i use for burning them as the gear ratio is relatively low, for that the big higher-speed reels are more effective (Trinidad, Saltist, etc.).
if i was advising someone on getting an ultra-durable, versatile reel, the TE would be it.
muskyjim
Posted 7/14/2009 9:27 PM (#388715 - in reply to #388700)

I agree with Mike. Great overall reel. Can pull D10's at a good pace, but not a trinidad by any means. They do have power handles, but you need to be careful with them as they have a tendency to engage the reel during the cast if you don't place the handle in proper location prior to cast.
619musky
Posted 7/14/2009 9:41 PM (#388717 - in reply to #388715)

muskyjim - 7/14/2009 9:27 PM

I agree with Mike. Great overall reel. Can pull D10's at a good pace, but not a trinidad by any means. They do have power handles, but you need to be careful with them as they have a tendency to engage the reel during the cast if you don't place the handle in proper location prior to cast.

has anyone had a problem without a line guide on the trinadid. is there a trick to keep the line level on the spool?
muskyjim
Posted 7/14/2009 10:03 PM (#388719 - in reply to #388717)

I bought mine at Thorne Bros and they spooled it so the line was in a slight "V" on spool. This helps keep the line coming to the center of the reel. Also, most people have found that it works well if you keep the rod pointed right at the lure as you bring it in. If you have it off to side, line tends to go to a side of the spool. It can be a bit frustrating at first, but after some casts, you will figure it out.