Heavy vs. Medium Heavy Rod for swim jigs
Landry
Posted 7/9/2009 1:01 PM (#387779)
Subject: Heavy vs. Medium Heavy Rod for swim jigs

I have been fishing 1 ounce swim jigs (plus a trailer) with a lot of muskie interest in the last 2 years. We are hitting a LOT of fish BUT we also lose about half of them. I have been fishing a St. Croix 7'6" MH (1-3 oz.) rod as they are well suited to casting this bait. I have been contemplating trying the Heavy (2-6 oz) model, hoping that I would solidly hook more fish. I think the fish are getting their teeth into the rubber and we are having a hard time moving the bait when setting the hook. We are using stinger hooks (single and treble) but nothing seems to help. I always point my rod at the bait to eliminate any cushion when the fish first hits and then I give him all I can on the set! The MH rod is fairly soft though, in my opinion.

Do you think moving to a stiffer rod will have any real impact or improve our hook sets?
Roughneck1860
Posted 7/9/2009 2:51 PM (#387794 - in reply to #387779)
Subject: Re: Heavy vs. Medium Heavy Rod for swim jigs

I do exactly the same thing as you with the jigs at certain times of the year. I'm running the 7'6" StCroix H (2-6oz) that you are thinking about. I have it spooled with #80 PP and keep my drag cranked down until I need to back it off. When I set the hook with any bait IT'S SET. I've drove the hook through the middle of the upper jaw on hook sets. It will deffiantly get the job done if thats what the problem is.

Good Fishin'
Tim

PS.....depeding on how big of trailer your using, try a couple Muskie Innovations SpringDawgs in the same area. We've done really well in the same conditions as the jigs and the treble bottom hook grabs fish hard.

Edited by Roughneck1860 7/10/2009 4:35 AM
Partycrasher
Posted 7/9/2009 3:43 PM (#387799 - in reply to #387779)

I agree. I think you have the right rod. The braided line will help with the hooksets and actually telegraph what the jig is doing better.
Landry
Posted 7/9/2009 10:27 PM (#387884 - in reply to #387799)

I'm running power pro too but I think a stiffer rod like the Heavy action St Croix will help.