Cable Wi., or Detroit Lakes Mn in September
Al
Posted 7/7/2009 4:49 PM (#387522)
Subject: Cable Wi., or Detroit Lakes Mn in September

With money tight my sister offered me her time share which she can not use, but the week must be used by the end of September. A condo is available on the Detroit Lake system September 25 thru Oct. 2 or a condo is available anytime in September near Cable Wi., which I this is near the Eau Claire Lake Chain. I need advice and help I haven't fished either one and have always had bad luck September no matter where I try from Kentucky to Lake of The Woods Ontario. Need Help or Advice. {Forgive the spelling} Thanks, Al
SpencerBerman
Posted 7/7/2009 5:27 PM (#387531 - in reply to #387522)
Subject: Re: Cable Wi., or Detroit Lakes Mn in September

I would definitely recommend going to the Detroit lakes area it has got a ton of big fish in it and does not get nearly as much pressure as many of the other waters in this state. Also I would suggest getting a guide, that will dramatically cut down your learning curve and give you confidence in what your going to be doing. Jerry Sondag would definitely be the man to hire in that area!
AWH
Posted 7/7/2009 6:03 PM (#387542 - in reply to #387531)

SpencerBerman - 7/7/2009 5:27 PM

I would definitely recommend going to the Detroit lakes area it has got a ton of big fish in it and does not get nearly as much pressure as many of the other waters in this state. Also I would suggest getting a guide, that will dramatically cut down your learning curve and give you confidence in what your going to be doing. Jerry Sondag would definitely be the man to hire in that area!

There's no lack of pressure on Detroit Lakes or the other lakes in that area. Late September will be better, simply because the recreational traffic (which is insanely busy out there in the summer) will be down. That being said, I'd opt for Detroit Lakes as well.

Aaron
Lens Creep
Posted 7/8/2009 7:09 AM (#387614 - in reply to #387522)

There are some nice fish to be caught in the DL area, but it can also be "hit and miss". I've seen guys catch 3 fifty inchers in a day under perfect conditions, but have also seen guides go without seeing a single fish under those same conditions. It can be good, but it's not automatic. Good luck.
rpike
Posted 7/8/2009 11:46 AM (#387640 - in reply to #387614)

Lens Creep - 7/8/2009 8:09 AM

There are some nice fish to be caught in the DL area, but it can also be "hit and miss". I've seen guys catch 3 fifty inchers in a day under perfect conditions, but have also seen guides go without seeing a single fish under those same conditions. It can be good, but it's not automatic. Good luck.

You've pretty well described muskie fishing on any water that's capable of producing a 50 incher! At least any that I know of...
Matt DeVos
Posted 7/8/2009 11:53 AM (#387641 - in reply to #387522)

Cable area also has Lake Namekagon to consider. Not an action water, but probably easier to contact fish than the Eau Claire's, and still a good shot at a four-footer or better.
claud_bahls
Posted 7/8/2009 12:47 PM (#387658 - in reply to #387522)
Subject: RE: Cable Wi., or Detroit Lakes Mn in September

you might be hitting namekagon right at turnover with the time frame you mentioned
if that is the case and you will want to hit some of the deeper clear lakes in the area that turn over a little later
here is the link for a great guide, dave williamson, in the detroit lakes area
www.muskystalker.com
a full time guide that knows the area lakes very well, better than most
if it was me i would go to the detroit lakes area
capt. ahab
Posted 7/8/2009 2:03 PM (#387669 - in reply to #387522)

would have to be a pretty cold fall for turnover to start the week of sept 25th on Namekagon. imo that might be pre turnover and the bite on Nam. could be good. there are big fish in there. 50" size limit.
Top Gun
Posted 7/8/2009 2:30 PM (#387676 - in reply to #387522)

50 inch size limit doesn't guarantee big fish
There a few big fish in there but not whole bunch of them.
Numbers are okay, low 40's most likely
Have to agree with Claud, that usually is turnover time....under normal conditions.
I second a trip to the Detroit Lakes area, look up Brian Kaiser if you go.
Here is his website address:
www.kaisertail
Lens Creep
Posted 7/8/2009 5:28 PM (#387697 - in reply to #387640)

rpike - 7/8/2009 11:46 AM

Lens Creep - 7/8/2009 8:09 AM

You've pretty well described muskie fishing on any water that's capable of producing a 50 incher! At least any that I know of...

Agreed, but there are some who have seen the numbers of fish from that area and think they're guaranteed to catch a few 50 inchers just by being there. It won't happen. You still need to know the water. I know a few guys who catch more fish on DL than people who live on the lake and fish it 5 times as much. That's all I was really stating earlier.
jay lip ripper
Posted 7/10/2009 6:41 AM (#387912 - in reply to #387522)

me and a buddy are headed 2 DL to fish with Jerry Sondag in early sept.