LOTW Water Levels
PredLuR
Posted 7/5/2009 9:35 AM (#387131)
Subject: LOTW Water Levels

For everyone who has been up there so far. How are they this year? Are they comparable to last year?
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/6/2009 12:13 PM (#387305 - in reply to #387131)
Subject: RE: LOTW Water Levels

Water levels started high after long, wet, wet spring in the district, but the sun has been out for most of the last 3 weeks or so and there hasn't been a lot of rain recently. The level of the lake has come down 5-6 inches in the past 2.5-3 weeks.

Water levels are now at 65th percentile so we're close to "average" water level for this time of year.

I can't remember from year to year anymore, but it may be a bit higher than this time last year. I seem to remember seeing more of a few rocks than we can see now.

Sawbones
Posted 7/6/2009 10:49 PM (#387398 - in reply to #387131)

I thought the levels were up compared to last year, but just checked the 2 year graph at www.lwcb.ca and we are actually down some compared to the same time last year. However, the wet spring did create very high levels early in the year. Another way to look at it, we peaked at roughly the same level but over a month earlier. The weather has been pretty goofy lately too. The water temps were very cold at opener, warmed almost to 70deg, dropped back down to 58 with some wicked cold fronts, and now are back up to about 64. I am finding it a tough bite right now.
Dave
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/7/2009 7:42 AM (#387424 - in reply to #387398)

Muskies started to heat up yesterday (July 6) just in time for the full moon. Some of our guests had some good activity midday and were anticipating something good happen last night when the full moonrise and sunset were about 20 mins apart.

I got out at 9pm with my wife and I lost two fish before she got her first boatside fish (38") in the dark at 10:10pm. I didn't have my caplight on with the nice full moon and of course it went behind a cloud so it was a gong show getting it in the beckman. I think my bait was still in the air on a long cast when she hollered that she had one on.....it must have been the longest cast I ever made because it took forever to get that bait back in, even cranking full throttle with a 7000.

Water is back up near 70 most places now, and 72ish and better in the shallow weedy bays, especially those facing west and south.

Fish have been coming from weeds, rock shelf structure related to shorelines/points, and saddles. Haven't had anyone report getting fish to come off mid-lake bare rock yet.

Full moon is official tonight. 10 knot east wind predicted today. Water is clearing up, but still a bit stirred up after that brutal wind the last weekend in June.