Costa Del Mar Question
dfree
Posted 7/1/2009 12:48 PM (#386633)
Subject: Costa Del Mar Question

Looking at upgrading sunglasses I was wondering what is a better all purpose color lens for the 580 wave lens the green mirror or the silver mirror??

thanks

Dan

Edited by dfree 7/1/2009 1:20 PM
ToddM
Posted 7/1/2009 1:43 PM (#386645 - in reply to #386633)
Subject: RE: Costa Del Mar Question

I have three pairs of fathoms, one blue mirror/grey lense, one grey lense and one green mirror/amber lense. The first two are the polycarbonate with the green mirrir being glass. I like the polycarbonate lense the best. I have had situations where that green lense was like not having glasses on at all. I can olny assume it is a glass vs plastic, not a green or amber vs grey.
Jono
Posted 7/1/2009 2:25 PM (#386652 - in reply to #386633)
Subject: Re: Costa Del Mar Question

FWIW, I'm a big fan of their vermilion colored lenses. Might be something to check out if available in that lense. I know I'm seeing things in the water that others don't. LOL and its not all in my head either. LOL.

I've had a pair of costa euro plus in vermilion for maybe 10 years now. still work great.

Jono

Whoolligan
Posted 7/1/2009 4:23 PM (#386674 - in reply to #386645)
Subject: RE: Costa Del Mar Question

ToddM - 7/1/2009 1:43 PM

I have three pairs of fathoms, one blue mirror/grey lense, one grey lense and one green mirror/amber lense. The first two are the polycarbonate with the green mirrir being glass. I like the polycarbonate lense the best. I have had situations where that green lense was like not having glasses on at all. I can olny assume it is a glass vs plastic, not a green or amber vs grey.

Todd, I'd think it is more the lens color and penetration than poly vs glass. If you were to see a graph of the amount of light that is allowed through between the mirror color and actual lens color it is pretty remarkable the difference. I had one for Maui Jim and Costa somewhere, I'll try to find it and post it.
What's also interesting is that typically glass lenses have greater visual acuity, and less distortion than a comparable quality lens in a poly. That said, one of the best lenses I've ever had is a pair of Oakley's that were incredible for fishing darker stained water in bright light. Don't have a clue why it was that combination, but it was.