Compatable hooks
muskycore
Posted 6/29/2009 11:35 AM (#386187)
Subject: Compatable hooks

How do you guys beef up hooks on a lure and maintain action? I had a fish straighten out my Shallow R hooks, so I upgraded to 4/0 hooks which get tangled and make the bait sink instead of suspending.
Thanks
jlong
Posted 6/29/2009 12:49 PM (#386206 - in reply to #386187)
Subject: RE: Compatable hooks

I'd look for short shank options to help "lighten the load" while also reducing tendancy to tangle. Wish Thorne's still carried the custom short-shank 774's. They were great for smaller twitchbaits/jerks.

However, since in your case the issue isn't getting pinned with the fish... but rather straightening of a light wire hook.... perhaps consider an adjustment to your drag (loosen), use a softer tip rod, or whatever else may be needed to avoid putting too much pressure on the fish/hooks?
muskycore
Posted 6/29/2009 1:36 PM (#386211 - in reply to #386206)

That makes sense with the short shank option, I'll see if I can find something comprable to the 774. Thanks JL
Does Eagle claw make the hook your referring to?
Yea, just when you think your equipment, drag, etc are tweaked correctly, you loose a 4 footer because of std manf hook. I would normaly blame myself but everything was tested & functioning properly prior and during battle, everything except the way the fish was hooked I guess. Oh well, chalk up another lost biggie from Bay X in Vilas, I'll be back with a boat anchor if I have too.

Edited by muskycore 6/29/2009 3:49 PM
ToddM
Posted 6/29/2009 6:25 PM (#386281 - in reply to #386187)

I use those light wire hooks. I feel they penetrate better. Like Jlong said, change up how you fight the fish. I free spool and I do not force the fish. Even then they don't take tons of line. The fight is not very long, no more so than anyone else. keep your rod tip down as well.