Shallow dawgs
Posted 5/13/2009 11:31 AM (#377839)
Subject: Shallow dawgs

I'm looking at mag shallow dawgs and noticed there is'nt a whole lot difference in weight from the mag dawgs. Do I need to downsize to a reg shallow dog to work thicker cover? It just seems like you would have to work a mag shallow dawg pretty fast with it weighing over 7 oz. I'm looking to work a shallow dawg in jerkbait situations over weedbeds a shallow mag seems like it would get hung up quite a bit.
Joe Cal
Posted 5/13/2009 11:52 AM (#377849 - in reply to #377839)
Subject: Re: Shallow dawgs

Shouldnt have any problem with the shallow mag dawg staying shallow enuff they come to the surface quickly when twitched or straight cranked. my 2 cents worth is to use it in as shallow as you want, with confidence.
brandondunbar
Posted 5/13/2009 12:50 PM (#377864 - in reply to #377849)

Shallow Mags Dawgs work awesome in the shallow slop (4ft and shallower). They hang and suspend more than a regular Mag Dawg.
Will Schultz
Posted 5/13/2009 1:42 PM (#377882 - in reply to #377839)

You have to think about it a little differently. The plastisol is near neutral buoyant but heavy out of the water. By adding a minimal amount of weight it is going to sink much faster which is why there is a minimal difference in the weight of a standard mag or shallow mag. A fairly slow speed straight crank on a shallow mag will run just below the surface. If you jerk/pull the bait the depth will be dictated by the length of time you let it hang/sink. I like the shallow mag when I want the bait at depths of 1 to 8' in cooler water temps (when a longer hang time is what I'm looking for).
SpencerBerman
Posted 5/13/2009 2:50 PM (#377899 - in reply to #377839)

In my opinion one of the most under used baits in all of musky fishing! They are a great tool and do an amazing job of catching fish that have seen all the traditional weedbed baits. As for the weights if your looking at the Rollie and Helens listing the weights for the shallow dawg are not correct. The true weight is closer to 6 oz and when you factor in what Will mentioned above you will find it actually makes a big difference.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/13/2009 9:01 PM (#377990 - in reply to #377899)

Guest; If you are looking for a bait that will hang and easy to use over weeds...check out the new Hellkats at smokeys bait. The light weight ones have cork in them. Also the lead ones only have about a ounce of lead. Depths are 0-5ft cork and 4-12ft lead ones. You will love these over weeds...enjoyable to work, and not have to kill yourself trying to keep them over the weeds.
Also this same forum page 5 under Hellkats...pic's.

Edited by jdsplasher 5/13/2009 9:05 PM