Need to epoxy one of my line guides
muskyhunter34
Posted 5/10/2009 9:32 AM (#377118)
Subject: Need to epoxy one of my line guides

Hey gang,

I have an avid that i love and the epoxy is coming off and i can see the wrap underneath. I want to re-epoxy it, how do you get that nice edge? Do you tape it and remove the tape while the epoxy is tacky or something. I dont want it to look like a first timer did it.

Thanks , Rob
RyanJoz
Posted 5/10/2009 10:09 AM (#377120 - in reply to #377118)
Subject: Re: Need to epoxy one of my line guides

5 min epoxy works well. keep turning the rod until it has set up. I don't ever tape but set the rod on a level surface and keep turning it and the epoxy will turn out well.
Bobby
Posted 5/10/2009 10:59 PM (#377256 - in reply to #377118)
Subject: RE: Need to epoxy one of my line guides

Guest with a first time post, haven't yet registered so I apologize in advance.

If you're not too fussy with getting an original factory look, then LIGHTLY dabbing a LITTLE bit of 5 minute epoxy will physically do the trick. This will definitely work. If you aren't a rod builder but want to get as close to a factory repair as possible, get your hands on some "high-build rod finish" and lightly re-coat the wrap in need of repair. High-build finish levels and smooths itself very easily as it's drying for someone who's not an experienced rod builder or repairer. Here's a simplified look at applying rod finish for a small repair job intended for someone who hasn't done it before - it's pretty simple:

Assuming you have a longer one-piece rod: First cut V-notches in opposing ends of a couple of cardboard boxes so that you can balance your rod and turn it like a rotisserie; second make a small homemade "bowl" out of a large piece of your wife's tinfoil from the kitchen and mix up your rod finish as per instructions - maybe even put a piece under where you're working to catch any possible drips (shouldn't happen but just in case); third take 4-5 minutes while the mixed finish is sitting to ensure that the area of your rod you will be re-coating is clean and ready for application - consider possibly a light scuffing first so the new finish will bond better - don't worry the scuffs won't show through the new finish but make sure the surface is clean!; fourth sparingly apply the rod finish - for small areas I like to use 1/8" wide strips of plastic from old plastic cards (rewards points, credit cards, etc) - and turn the rod as you apply the finish - notice the high-build finish levels itself nicely; fifth continue turning the rod (do this in front of a TV or you'll be bored stiff) for a while or the finish will sag; sixth take longer breaks between turning the rod as time goes along. If you set aside an afternoon or an evening for this you'll be fine. The next day, you may want to put on a second coat. High-build rod finish, however, is usually intended to do the trick in one shot and self-levels perfectly. Otherwise, let your repair sit a couple of days to ensure it's ready for use.

Basically, rod-builders have motor setups (starting at about $50 and going up from there) that turn the rods for them - you, on the other hand need to consider how much your time is worth to you! Consider the two options above (5-minute epoxy repair or proper rod finish repair) and weigh them against finding a rod repair shop or even a return to St. Croix for repair.

Good luck.

Bobby