Wabull action?
muskyhunter24
Posted 5/6/2009 10:16 PM (#376584)
Subject: Wabull action?

So I bought some regular wabulls and some baby wabulls and even an WA Wabull, I have thrown each a couple times but I am still scratching my head on how I am supposed to work them or how they are supposed to look in the water, are they supposed to be like an underwater weagle or more like a suick or bobbie bait? Does straight wire leader work better then fluro? Any input would be appreciated.
muskihntr
Posted 5/6/2009 10:34 PM (#376591 - in reply to #376584)
Subject: Re: Wabull action?

sloooooooooow with light taps works best for me. i use fluoro leaders with them and dont have any trouble. my first fish of the year came on a w/a bull!
lambeau
Posted 5/6/2009 10:35 PM (#376593 - in reply to #376584)

it's not a "hypnotic" glider, they're meant to be erratic with both side/side and up/down action. i like to use a few quick short jerks followed by pauses: go slow. wire's a bit easier at first, but once you get it down a Stealth fluoro works just fine.

taptaptap...pause...taptaptap...pause...
muskie24/7
Posted 5/7/2009 7:33 AM (#376624 - in reply to #376593)

I like to start with VERY SHORT AND VERY LIGHT TAPS! This seems to be the way to get the glide effect ! If I don't have any action then I speed things up and try more ERATIC action! I don't think theres a wrong way to use it! Keep playing with it till you find what the fish want and what makes you feel confident! One thing for sure, They catch fish! Good luck! BTW...I use STEALTH TACKLE leaders with the Wabul with no problems!!!

Brian

Edited by muskie24/7 5/7/2009 7:36 AM
Beaver
Posted 5/7/2009 7:49 AM (#376625 - in reply to #376624)

Lambo nailed it. If you want a side to side glide bait, use one of mine a Wabull reminds me of a Reefhawg on steroids and it runs deeper. If you're yanking it on a tight line, you won't get much of anything. Keep your rod tip low (as with all gliders) my rod tip hits the water most of the time when I fish gliders.....keep it low and snap the slack out of the line. Pause every few twitches, and when you restart, that is when it will shoot off at a weird angle. It goes side to side, up and down, left to left to straight....you never know. Low rod tip, short twitches-not pulls or yanks, and pause every once in a while. Don't be surprised if you get hit on the drop.
Beav
sorenson
Posted 5/7/2009 8:24 AM (#376630 - in reply to #376584)

I think the strengths of the Wabull series of lures (regular, WA, and Baby) lies in the ability to transmit the illusion of speed, much like a jointed crankbait, without substantial forward movement. You can get 6-7 different direction changes with those things with only a couple of feet (or less) of forward movement. The amount of time they loiter in a strike zone per cast is much higher than many other lures. And they can be in motion for most of that time. Once you have some time w/ it you'll realize it's much more than a simple, side to side, as it can be worked in any direction in the water column. Like Beav said, use his lures for the side to side portion of the arsenal, they will generally have a wider glide and are more predictable. A strong attraction of the Wabulls is that they are somewhat unpredictable (unless you move them too fast, then they're predictably back to the top). I find w/ the babys, in particular, rod taps of only 1-2" is more than enough to impart a lot of action. Less is more, if that makes any sense. They are a fun lure to fish.
S.

Edited by sorenson 5/7/2009 7:59 PM