Turbo Minnow Harness for Muskies?
Ranger
Posted 5/4/2009 11:41 PM (#376099)
Subject: Turbo Minnow Harness for Muskies?

I've been trying to learn walleye for the past couple years and have had a lot of fun dragging homemade crawler and minnow harnesses around the local lakes. You know, 42" of 12# mono with beads, a blade and hooks. Some days we really get an amazing amount of action from pretty much all species that can catch up to the bait. I was bit off twice by pike recently so I made up some sevenstrand harnesses and bought a few 5-6" pike suckers today. No luck with that, but I cant help but think that muskies, particularly pressured muskies, would hit a harness just like other fish.

I'm not talking about dragging big suckers on quick strike rigs. Rather, a more subtle approach with those smaller pike suckers.

So, anybody do this sort of thing, or have you tried it. Lessons learned?

Thanks.
eric
Posted 5/4/2009 11:53 PM (#376101 - in reply to #376099)
Subject: RE: Turbo Minnow Harness for Muskies?

ive tried that on 80 lb. foro with large shinners and med suckers, I added some #8 blades and some large circle hooks. 9/0 I think. but anyways had marginal results. alot of pike. ive found that floss rigging the same with a clevis and 1)#8 blade on the leader with a circle hook has had the most results. I like the flutted or the hammered finish blades. I like to use that when Im drifting in alot of wind or behind the boat when I got the trolling motor going. well in wi. cause you can run two lines. in mn too cause it comply with regs then two. ive found that the bait in the 6-8" range gets the most action. but mosly pike and a few tanker walleye. the larger shinners and suckers work but not much action, its just like dragging a quick strike. ive found suprisingly its a killer for trout on the gl's. good luck hope it gets a discusson going.
HERBIE
Posted 5/5/2009 7:39 AM (#376127 - in reply to #376099)
Subject: RE: Turbo Minnow Harness for Muskies?

USED RIGS LIKE THAT EXTENSIVLEY BACK IN WISC IN THE
LATE 80'S EARLY 90'S. 40" 90# WIRE,SOME BEADS,#7-8 COLORADO,WHEN I FIRST DESIGNED THEM EVERYONE USED SINGLE HOOKS,BY THE EARLY 90'S I USED THEM WITH QUICKSTRIKES,DIDN'T AFFECT THE % OF ACTION JUST MEANT I COULD CATCH MORE #'S AS I DIDN'T HAVE TO BURN UP 15-30 MINUTES CHASING FISH AROUND DURING SHORT FALL FEEDING WINDOWS.
LONG LINED WITH NO OR LITTLE WEIGHT 3/8-3/4 OZ DEPENDING ON SIZE OF BAIT AND STRENGTH AND DEPTH.BEST BAITS WERE VERY LIVELY 14-16".
VERY SLOWLY BACK TROLL OR FRONT TROLL WITH ELECT OR DRIFT AND ADJUST WHERE ITS NOT LEGAL. EVERY 30 SECONDS TO A MINUTE OR SO PULL THE ROD TIP 2-3',FEEL THE BLADE VIBRATE,DROP BACK THE SLACK AND LET THE THE BAIT SWIM BACK DOWN AND THE BLADE SWING AND FLUTTER.
BANG!!!
STEVE HERBECK
WWW.ANDYMYERSLODGE.COM