Coating a lure
fishstix
Posted 4/26/2009 5:18 PM (#374429)
Subject: Coating a lure

I have a lure that is starting to lose the lacquer/coating on it. I want to touch it back up to get many more seasons of use out of it. However, I am not sure what product would best for this. Would something just from Wal-Mart or the hardware store work? Or something else?
archerynut36
Posted 4/26/2009 7:20 PM (#374470 - in reply to #374429)
Subject: Re: Coating a lure

well what kind of lure is it.. ? you can get the devcon 2 ton epoxy and coat it with that.. i use a lure drier and make sure its all evenly look in the basement bait forum here on m1st and you can see all that is done with baits there....bill
deantre
Posted 4/30/2009 4:18 PM (#375392 - in reply to #374429)

Envirotex available at menards is a good epoxy coating, gives a very nice finish, sets slow so you need to watch for drips after about an hour and just smooth em with you finger, they blend right back in. I like to add some colored sparkles to it for more depth and flash. On touch up, I use model paints and blend em to match, prefer the enamels but acrylics work too. Have just tried coating my brass and copper blades with a hard clear nail polish to protect them, will let you know if it holds up. I like to hit all the places something enters the wood with clear nail polish to keep it sealed. A nice shiny coat with split if the lure absorbs water. Just some things I tried.
glog
Posted 5/1/2009 8:16 PM (#375662 - in reply to #374429)
Subject: RE: Coating a lure

I prefure to coat my baits with a product called system three. It is a two part mix and holds up to the hook scaring. This stuff is made to put wood canoes together and to use as a coating. can order over the net or at woodcraft supply store.
knooter
Posted 5/2/2009 1:05 PM (#375713 - in reply to #374429)

Envirotex Lite is the best I've found. I've tried a few similar products, but I don't think you can beat it for ease of use and quality of finish. Just scuff up the old clear coat with some fine sandpaper or scotch-brite pad and wipe it clean with some alcohol or laquer thinner, then apply the Envirotex. I use a cheap brush to apply it, then hang it for a half hour or so before haging it from the other end. This should eliminate most of your drips or runs. In a perfect world you'd spin it a few rpm's on a lure drying rack, but for a simple recoat the wait and flip method works fine. Make sure you blow the bubbles out of the finish or hit the bait with a propane torch, otherwise there will be little bubbles in the finish that can let water under the new coat and wreak havoc.