First cast
iamaddicted
Posted 4/11/2009 7:44 AM (#371556)
Subject: First cast

We have all heard great stories of "the last cast", but what about the first cast? Does anyone have a story about the first cast of the day or maybe first cast of the season?
randers41
Posted 4/11/2009 8:29 AM (#371559 - in reply to #371556)
Subject: Re: First cast

Friend of mine Tom Wilson in his first cast ever for Muskies caught a 36" on Chippewa river
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/11/2009 8:54 AM (#371561 - in reply to #371556)
Subject: RE: First cast

My first cast ever I chucked out a crank bait while fishing on Pewaukee Lake. I reeled and reeled and nothing happened because the drag was not tightened. No fish obviously, but I did catch quite a laugh out of Tuffy1, who was the guy kind/stupid enough to take me fishing for the first time. I also believe he found the numerous backlashes I experienced that day rather amusing. All in all a great day. I've always appreciated someone that makes fun of me, and he, Slamr, and a few others here have been quite good at that.

Maybe someday we could have a M1st golf outing and I could return the favor.

That being said, I have never taken to casting for long periods. I find it tiring, and always sit and talk to my fishing partners while they work at varying periods during the day. I'm perfectly happy to fish some, talk a lot, and net their fish.

By the way, while you guys wait for the musky opener, I'm heading to the golf course in 45 minutes.

Kevin

It's Movin' Day
jonnysled
Posted 4/11/2009 9:03 AM (#371562 - in reply to #371556)

M1 Golf Outing sounds good Kevin. i'll be standing with my jumbo bucket in about 30 minutes myself. the muskie/golf combo outing is something that would be great. Timber Ridge and Katherine this fall during the peak of color sounds like good timing so lets start planning.
sorenson
Posted 4/11/2009 9:03 AM (#371563 - in reply to #371561)

MuskyHopeful - 4/11/2009 7:54 AM

Maybe someday we could have a M1st golf outing and I could return the favor.

Kevin

It's Movin' Day

Cool. I'll bring the sandwiches...

S.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/11/2009 9:34 AM (#371567 - in reply to #371562)

jonnysled - 4/11/2009 9:03 AM

M1 Golf Outing sounds good Kevin. i'll be standing with my jumbo bucket in about 30 minutes myself. the muskie/golf combo outing is something that would be great. Timber Ridge and Katherine this fall during the peak of color sounds like good timing so lets start planning.

Been dying to play Timber Ridge, and have fished Katherine which was gorgeous. Let's work on that.

Kevin

Off to the course.
tmusky
Posted 4/11/2009 3:13 PM (#371588 - in reply to #371556)

After showing my wife how to cast a musky rod, which she did very well, and explaining that musky fishing isn't very easy, I caught a 34 on my first cast. that same fish then proceeded to get connected to my shin via treble hook.
Jsondag
Posted 4/11/2009 9:16 PM (#371623 - in reply to #371556)

This last season, I had just got to my first spot one September morning - Put on my favorite DCG and pitched it out. I noticed my locators depth started flashing and wham my rod jolted and I set the hook on nothing. I looked forward to see the longest musky I have ever seen broadside at the surface giving me the fin. I fished the area for another hour and was so shaken by what I had seen, I got off the water. My wife said I was as white as a ghost when I came in. I hit that spot almost daily for the next several weeks - Never to see that fish again. I told Carrie Hoppe that story a couple days ago, and she replied "Just be happy you got to see that fish" and she is probably right... Although it would have been nice to have it in the net.

Jerry Sondag
Top H2O
Posted 4/11/2009 10:23 PM (#371643 - in reply to #371623)

I'm in for the Golf and muskie outing !

Hopeful, how many guys on this site know what "moving day" even means, other than Sled.?.....?
I've fished Vermilion in the early AM. , Golfed mid afternoon, and headed back out to chase Muskies at dusk....... Life doesn't get any better than that !

I'm fishing Cave Run tomorrow, which will be my "Moving Day".... hopefully.
I'm due.

Jerome
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/11/2009 10:48 PM (#371644 - in reply to #371643)

I think more people know about Moving Day than you may think. That said, if you really wanted to watch a great sporting event you should have tuned into the NCAA D1 hockey national championship. One of the best hockey games I've ever watched.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 4/11/2009 11:12 PM (#371647 - in reply to #371644)

Pointerpride102 - 4/11/2009 10:48 PM

I think more people know about Moving Day than you may think. That said, if you really wanted to watch a great sporting event you should have tuned into the NCAA D1 hockey national championship. One of the best hockey games I've ever watched.

Hockey? Isn't that a Canadian game? I[m surprised to hear colleges are still playing it after the NHL folded.

Kevin

Go old guy.
esoxfever
Posted 4/12/2009 8:24 AM (#371671 - in reply to #371647)

well I see this post isn't going the way of awesome first cast stories (golf/hockey) , but I got one I thought was pretty cool. Three years ago on my first trip to LOTW with mt brother in law, we got there like three hours early for check in and had to "sleep" in the truck till the lodge owners woke up. We had planned on trying to nap before we went out as we were up all night driving, but that was impossible. So we the water at around 9:30am and on the first cast of my first trip to Candida after two cranks of the real handle I had a fish on. After a short battle we had a nice little 33" ski in the frabil. I know not a monster but still pretty cool
cheers clay

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(clay_33.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments clay_33.JPG (146KB - 81 downloads)
rumbler
Posted 4/12/2009 9:28 AM (#371682 - in reply to #371556)

i was throwin a suick and one hit on my first cast of the morning,jumped 4 feet in the air and threw the bait.
Posted 4/12/2009 11:31 PM (#371787 - in reply to #371556)

last year I was prefishing for a tournament. It was the first time I was on that lake for the year and it was the first time muskie fishing in my new boat that I just picked up the week before.

Three cranks into my first cast I was hooked up. I landed that fish and about 10 casts later I landed another. Another 10 casts I was hooked up again. Three fish in 21 casts a 36, 42, and 43. That probably won't ever happen again but I can only hope.
BenR
Posted 4/12/2009 11:48 PM (#371788 - in reply to #371556)

I was young and heading to eagle river for the first time...we stopped in antigo at mepps and I had them make a bucktail for me...so excited arriving at the lake I ran down to the dock and pulled my mepps in the water to see what it looked like and a muskie grabbed it from under the dock...did not even get to make a first cast....
Lundbob
Posted 4/13/2009 7:22 AM (#371806 - in reply to #371556)

Last year we pulled up to a mid-lake rock pile and someone else was fishing it so we moved down a few hundred yards to another rock pile and my son throws out before i even have trolling motor down and a lure picked out and he yells "fish fish" and we had this 42 in the net on the first cast!! You can see the other boat in the background. Pretty cool day.

(first.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments first.JPG (122KB - 96 downloads)
MACK
Posted 4/13/2009 7:56 AM (#371812 - in reply to #371556)

Four years ago, the first day out in my new boat, first cast, topwater bait, four twitches of that WTD lure and whammo....44 incher. I couldn't think of a better way to christen a new boat...
big gun
Posted 4/13/2009 8:07 AM (#371814 - in reply to #371556)

Never forget it, I was on a house boat trip on LOTW. We pulled into a small bay to sleep over night. This bay had lily pads and a bunch of other junk weeds. Got up the next morning to check my gear. Casted out a slippery sam bucktail. A rather large fish followed it in. Needless to say I was totally unprepared. Casted back a jack pot and she came in again. Leason learned. Always be ready for a fish no matter what the scenery looks like. BG
Chris Munchow
Posted 4/14/2009 10:39 PM (#372184 - in reply to #371556)

Ok guys, not sure if this qualifies but here goes.  In 98 or 99 I took my wife who I think was my fiancé at the time for a day and a half of muskie fishing and camping on a northern Minnesota muskie lake known for it’s numbers. I positioned my Ranger on the boat ramp so all my wife had to do was back it a little further into the water till she floated enough so I could drive it off the trailer. As she was backing me in, I noticed a muskie chasing some baitfish around in the shallows less then a half cast from the boat ramp. I gave my wife the stop signal and reached for a rod.  I didn’t have any muskie rods rigged up with lures yet but did have a bass rod handy with a white spinner bait tied on. In the very clear water, I could tell the fish was a low to mid 30-incher and the white spinner bait would probably do the trick. But now I had a very tough decision to make. My wife had never caught a muskie and if she could make the cast, had a great shot at hooking the fish. The tricky part would be getting her the rod in time and having her make the cast before the ski was gone.  Quickly going over the whole scenario in my head and taking in account that it was only a medium heavy bass rod with probably 15# mono and no leader, the high probability that her cast would not be close enough or end up spooking the fish and the time it would take for her to pull the boat out some so she could get the rod and get in position to cast, I made the wrong choice and it has bugged me forever. I should have given her a crack at the fish as no one was around or waiting to launch. I could have pulled out a muskie rod and tossed on a small bucktail in less then a minute. Instead I picked up the rod, made the cast, watched the fish close on the lure and eat it. I quickly fought the fish, grabbed it by the tail, had my wife take a quick photo and let her go with the boat still sitting on the trailer at the ramp. First cast of the trip and as you may have guessed, my wife didn’t land a muskie on the trip.

(Trailer muskie.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Trailer muskie.JPG (30KB - 78 downloads)
MuskyFix
Posted 4/14/2009 10:48 PM (#372187 - in reply to #372184)

Two years ago I had a couple days where I had a fish within 2 cast.
One I showed a client how to work a shallow raider to the muskies liking, on the first cast, they replied can we see that one more time, on the second cast I hooked into a fish and handed him the rod, and told him to real it in, we boated a 38 inch musky. You should of seen the look on there face, it was price less - good times. It's always the the second and third cast for me.
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/15/2009 9:31 AM (#372237 - in reply to #371556)

Small lake in Onieda Co. prooved not so foolproof after landing a 43" on my first cast of the day which was into the wind and a little error in prepping left me to a slight rats nest. . . My 20' cast landed that fish - I meant to do that!
JRedig
Posted 4/15/2009 9:51 AM (#372241 - in reply to #371556)

My buddy and I were fishing a tournament last year. It started at 6:30am and we were on the water and our first spot by about 6am. We're waiting for start time, he decides to make a cast with a new bulldawg just to see how it looks. I tell him don't you dare do that and sure as hell, he nails a 47 about two cranks into the cast. IDIOT! Would've won the whole deal as he also caught a 41 later in the day.
bn
Posted 4/15/2009 10:34 AM (#372247 - in reply to #371556)

first cast on Waubesa 2 yrs ago opening day at 5pm I got a 38"er on an Undertaker...my buddy who hadn't even stood up to make a cast yet could not believe it...
hope it repeats itself.... ; )
esoxsmd
Posted 4/15/2009 10:40 AM (#372249 - in reply to #371556)

About 10 years ago on a trip to the Chip, we had to make a pitstop at the Butternut Lake launch outhouse for the driver... my buddy grabs a bass rod with a spoon on it and zings a casts from the shore. A couple turns of the reel, and bam! That 34" fish is a topic of conversation every year since.
whynot
Posted 4/15/2009 10:42 AM (#372250 - in reply to #371556)

Not me but a buddy of mine who rarely musky fishes. A couple years ago I took him out to a lake close to my house that I've never boated a musky on. I'm about 6 casts in before he finishes a cigarette and picks out a lure. What do ya know, first cast slowly retrieving a 10" Jake, "I've got weeds". I look out and I see a 40" fish spiraling towards the boat. Weeds, eh? First musky too! Some people have all the luck.
Pjonas
Posted 4/15/2009 3:12 PM (#372303 - in reply to #371556)

2 years ago, west of Minocqua, first cast of the morning (and the trip), my dad lands a mid-thirties fish. Next morning, different lake, I lose a fish about the same size at boatside. Just thaaaat close to a first cast fish on back-to-back days.
bassinbob84
Posted 4/15/2009 9:12 PM (#372360 - in reply to #371556)

i used to walk out on my grandmas dock every morning and cast a sucker colored unweighted suick a couple times before going out for the day. there was a 54 1/2 incher that liked to sleep under our dock. it was seen multiple times and i hooked it alot, sometimes on the first cast. i never did land it though. had it up to the dock a couple times as well. everytime something would go wrong. about 3 years ago a 13 year old kid caught that fish and kept it. i have had other fish follow on the first cast as well but never landed one, and never that big

Edited by bassinbob84 4/15/2009 9:14 PM
MRM
Posted 4/20/2009 9:54 AM (#373069 - in reply to #371556)

Opening day morning, 2008 in northern WI. First cast of the season with a bucktail caught a 34". Fished the rest of the day and didn't move another fish. About an hour after dark called last cast and landed a 49 1/2" x 23".