Penn Reels
quackaddict9
Posted 4/5/2009 9:52 PM (#370478)
Subject: Penn Reels

Good and Bad on Penn Reels? 975's have trouble pulling big blades? What are your opinions? Which one you prefer- 975 or 965?

Any thoughts, comments appreciated. Looking to pick one up but wondering what you guys think first. Thanks guys.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/5/2009 10:26 PM (#370488 - in reply to #370478)
Subject: RE: Penn Reels

I've been running 975's for the past 2 seasons for double 10 duty, and have a few hundred hours on a couple of them. Because it is a reel being used for heavy pulling, I have had an issue or two with all of mine. I had some gear wear and clutch trouble with the first one(the one with most use) which was totally understandable, but the level wind(idler gear) was found to be faulty early in ownership on the second two. After the fix they have been fine. I know a few others with the idler gear issue from the factory, also having very good luck after the repairs. They pull the big blades nicely, have great drag systems, and seem to have good anti reverse bearings too, though I haven't used them extensively for jerkbaits. I chose it because the size was a bit smaller than some of the winch type reels, and is more comfortable, as I don't hold the foregrip.
JRedig
Posted 4/5/2009 10:29 PM (#370490 - in reply to #370478)
Subject: Re: Penn Reels

I think they pull big blades at moderate speeds just fine. I don't think they're a speed reel, just a "less work" reel. I used one for a weekend last fall using 10's and 13's with it, it felt smooth and took the work out of it, just could only go so fast.
ToddM
Posted 4/6/2009 10:18 PM (#370693 - in reply to #370478)
Subject: RE: Penn Reels

Like any winch style reel, they only pull them so fast but i can pull them fast enough with this reel to bulge any of them i have thrown. Inless you weight the poo out of a double ten, they seem to pull them untill the blades break the surface.

Definitely the 975 for the big bucktails. I have a 965 for most everything else. i do have a 955 but they are no longer made. Like Jason, I do not hold the foregrip either.